Lightning

Any downsides to the Airbox mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004 | 09:51 PM
|
Any downsides to the Airbox mod?

I did a search and read through everything anyone on this board has said about the 'airbox' mod over the last 2 years. Whew...talk about doing your homework!

Well, I had a little time on my hands today and decided to take the plunge and hack a 4" hole in the bottom of my airbox. The result was similar to what other members have noted: blower whine increased and my stock boost gauge (peaked at 8 with paper filter, 10 with K&N) peaked at about 11-12 psi when at WOT.

I'll have a chance to test whether my mod will net me a faster time at the 1/4 dragstrip in about 2 weeks, where I've already run 2 13.6's and 2 13.7's this season.

One question I haven't seen addressed are the potential downsides of the airbox mod? For those who have performed this 'alteration', have you experienced any problems with your L's after doing this? Do we run the risk of getting water in our airbox on rainy days? Does your filter get clogged with debris quickly (leaves, insects, etc.)?

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:02 PM
Downside?

Other than a very likey (and unethical) voided powertain warranty, no...

Do yourself a favor and shop around for a spare airbox if you ever plan on taking it in for warranty work.

If you want to see some photos of a VERY slick airbox mod, shoot me your e-mail address. You can post those photos on this board if you want, as well.

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:06 PM
You will see a small gain with the air box mod and a k&n filter, do you still have the stock pulley on your truck?, once you change pulleys for more boost you will need an air filter kit, because the stock air box, even with the bottom cut out of it doesn`t flow enough air for higher boost.

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:16 PM
|
Silver-Y2K-SVT you can e-mail me at c_dellimore@yahoo.com. I should have some room on that account if the photos are big.

speeder my 2000L is stock. I have the K&N panel filter, but I haven't added any kind of pulley kit or chip.

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:16 PM
Nope!

Speeder:

I have to completely disagree with your assertion about the flow characteristics of an aftermarket filter versus a modded (read - "well-modded") airbox.

With ONLY mods consisting of:

Metco 5-lb pulley

VERY soft chip tune (soot pouring out of tips, splattering black all down the azz of the truck)

Factory Tech Valve Body

Trick-azz modded airbox (with stock paper filter)

I ran, with my FULL WEIGHT (hitch, spare, and everything) 2000 model (crappy MAF, airbox, gears, driveshaft...) Lightning on half-worn F1's...

12.9 @107

I think that a modded airbox is capable of breathing just fine, thank you, if modded appropriately.

I think that a 107 MPH trap is pretty stout indeed for those mods, with everything else taken into account.

This was not at Cecil, either. In fact, at Edgewater, which is around (don't quote me...) 600+ feet above sea level.

For what it's worth.

True, nobody has run REALLY FAST with a modded stock airbox, but then again, nobody has tried.

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:20 PM
I think the stock box is fine as long as the whole is in the bottom with a fresh air hose running to it. I have a 4lb lower onmy truck and have the stock air box still. I have a 2.8 upper comming so i will see how it works with the stock box combo

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:28 PM
I agree with silvery2k. When 5 trucks dynoed down here in Miami about 5 Months ago, 3 of us had the exact same mods with the exception of myself, who had a modded airbox with a 3 inch hole and hose leading to the front.Guess who made 6 more h.p. than the other 2 trucks? That was the only difference between these 3 trucks. Now I know other variables may come into play, but my point is that it does work and work well. just my .02

Old 03-24-2004 | 10:33 PM
Marketing, Marketing, Marketing...

Yup - what he said. I'd post the hard-core calcualtions (I did my master's thesis or fluid flow and heat transfer), but nobody here seems to give a rat's azz about science or book learnin' anymore.

Do whatever makes you feel good, or sufficiently lightens your wallet.

(Shakes head...)

Old 03-24-2004 | 11:09 PM
I've been told a thousand times to get a better filter kit. I run the stock air box top with the filter ZIP tied in 24 hrs a day, rain and shine. My best time with my 01 was 12.34 @ 111mph with a 1.77 60' on stock F1's and only a 6# pulley and Diablo line mod valve with NGK TR5's and 160 thermo.

Went to the track with a friend one night and he had this new sporty cool looking filter set up with a nice box and all the tubes. Anyway he made a pass, then another, I then talked him into putting my airbox set up on his L and he made a pass and dropped his time .15, The next day he put his new filter set up on Ebay.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...5301&anum=4257

Also I dont have to worry about finding a new bottom if I go in for warranty work, already done my new 04 the same way.

Old 03-24-2004 | 11:16 PM
HOOTERS!

Damn, Chief!

How is it that we're in synchronization on every topic lately? Very cool.

I lived in Mobile (Actually, Daphne) from 1990 until 1996. The Original Oyster House on the Causeway was our second home. Man, I miss that place.

Maybe will try to meet up if we ever visit again.

Old 03-24-2004 | 11:20 PM
|
Well I'm not worried about voiding my warranty as I had the standard factory warranty which expired after 3 yrs/ 36K miles. My 2000L is 4yrs old with 53K miles on her. I was just looking for a 'good' inexpensive mod, w/o removing any weight (as I tow with my truck).

Got the pics in my e-mail Silver-Y2K-SVT! Thanks!

Last edited by chiketkd; 03-24-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2004 | 03:39 AM
Are there any 11 second Lightning's running the stock airbox?

Old 03-25-2004 | 09:09 AM
Silver-Y2K-SVT

There is a basic point your not taking into account when trying to argue the stock/modified box route.

The velocity per open cell on a stock sized K&N panel filter will = less filtration VS a large conical one. And there-for a lower velocity per open cell.

And since you've been educated in how media flow through a *round* pipe works... I sure do think you'd be a proponent of a conical shaped filter on the end of a perfectly round pipe.

Other than the cost factor, I see no reason for advocating a stock air box w/panel filter that's been modified.

Rich

Old 03-25-2004 | 09:24 AM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
Are there any 11 second Lightning's running the stock airbox?
Might be by the end of the season

Old 03-25-2004 | 09:31 AM
usahooters you ever been to the slick lizzard? its near Nauvoo that place is great we went there when my bro was in boot camp in miss.

Quick Reply: Any downsides to the Airbox mod?