Lightning

SCT pro racer review

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT pro racer review

Well, I have had the pro racer SCT for a couple of weeks now. The package comes with a free tune which is supposed to be pretty close to what you need.
The tune included started my truck and it idles pretty rich, but you can't drive it on the road because it leans out big time.
The software is difficult to understand. I am still trying to learn how to make changes and what the changes will do.
Tech support is not too good.
If you have a big mass air and you want to adjust the #/min max above 64 you can't. So you have to try and scale everything down across the board.
I haven't had any problems with erasing my stock tune or any other problems like that.
I tried the tweecer on my truck yesterday and I think the software for that is a lot easier to use. I burns the chips in just a few seconds and you can switch between 5 different tunes. I like that you can just look at the graph for the mass air and lean it out or make it more rich in a percentage.
Maybe after I have the SCT for a couple more months and get used to it I'll like it more...
I have a CXN1 computer and a novi2000 blower.

Old 04-10-2004, 09:38 PM
We do give a base tune which is normally pretty close, but when you have a unique application normally you have to do some work on the meter transfer function. Also there are a couple things that you have to be careful with in regards to bypass positioning.

I will agree that the software is pretty complicated to use. When we released the racer package the main purpose was to give full functionality to the do-it yourself types. It can take some time to get comfortable with everything, especially if you have a vehicle where you have to work heavily on the meter function or on the dashpot functions. It's the decision we ended up making, to make the software as powerful as possible. The downsite is that it requires a lot of research and learning to get really good at it when you have a vehicle that normally takes some effort to tune. The upside is that once you really learn how to use it, you have unlimited control.

The 64#/min is an actual ford limitation, that's why you have to rescale some things.

If you have any questions with the software or need any help you can also email me personally at bjherron@superchipscustom.com. I have tuned a lot of 03 cobras with prochargers, so I am pretty farmiliar with the changes needed for a setup like yours. I just spent 4 hours today working on a drivaility issue with an 03 that turned out to be related to meter position.

Also, is your vehicle a draw thru or blow thru meter setup? Which meter are you using?

Brian

Old 04-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Now that you can buy the "tuner module" and have a tuner load the program on there- can you buy the programming software at a later date (How much $ ?) I dont' want to sound like a whiner, but I dont' have the scrilla for the whole package now.... Also is there a way to back up your stock program on the computer without having the tuning software? Would I have to dyno the tune on my stock 99?

On a second note-- anyone know of a tuner on the west coast that works with SCT?

Easter--- do you have to run to the dyno a lot for adjustments? i was thinking that would add up after awhile....

Old 04-11-2004, 12:46 AM
I can't really comment on prices, but there is a way to upgrade to a racer package if you already have an SCT tuner or chip.

Most of our racer package owners get an aftermarket wideband 02 kit so they can take readings on the street and aviod constant trips to a dyno.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 AM
I have a wideband meter and autotap.
I have a Pro-M 80mm ATI universal blow through meter.
Maybe the problems stem from the meter. I'll stick on the draw through 90mm and reroute the bypass. I'll redo some of the parameters and get back.

Quick Reply: SCT pro racer review