Lightning

For thoes who have painted bug deflector or got one painted

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For thoes who have painted bug deflector or got one painted

i purchesed a tinted black bug deflector to paint white, color of my truck, i was doing the ground effects off my truck at the same time, and thoes turned out great, but the deflector didnt seem to want to hold paint, i sanded first with 320 then sprayed an adheason promoter then my primer, but when i sprayed my base it pealed right to bare plastic, are the tined ones not meant for paint, should i get the clear option?? for thoes who have painted ones, which do u have...

tks
jim

Old 04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I don't have a bug deflector, but I have a question?

why by a tinted one to paint???

if your answer is that it doesn't matter because the paint will cover the tint, then I ask this.

what happens when the paint chips?

I thought the idea was to get a clear one and paint only the back of it.

that way, the color shows through, but you don't have to worry about it chipping off because the paint is on the protected back side only.

but like I said, I don't have one, so I'm not sure.

good luck.

later,
chris

Old 04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
i saw one that was done that way, the back side, of the clear, only painted, and i didnt like the way it turned out, one: the plastic was thick and caused the paint to reflect bad, and second: the design of the deflector for a f-150 has a sharp edge that wraps around the hood to mount, and its hard to get paint in that edge enough to cover and not to drip...so main question was if the tinted had a coating added for the plastic that qaused the paint not to hold....

jim

Quick Reply: For thoes who have painted bug deflector or got one painted