Lightning

MP blower or Apten ported eaton?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP blower or Apten ported eaton?

For a stock Lightning (except LT headers & cat's) would it be better to go with the MP blower @ $1700.00 or with an Apten ported Eaton @ $600.00

Is the extra $1100 worth it?

Old 04-16-2004, 08:18 PM
The Apten gives you half the hp at one-third the initial cost. But the MP will give you larger increases per mod. By the time you pass the 450 hp mark, the MP starts to become a bargain.

Stock up to 450 hp - Ported Eaton is hard to beat
450hp - 575 hp MP can do it for less
575+hp - KB or Works rule the street
Race oriented - Centrifugal SC builds hi boost efficiently
Big budget, big results - Turbo

Old 04-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Well put, LOCOSVT.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:32 PM
If I had the $1700 for the MP, I would have gotten that instead of porting the stock blower. But for what it cost to have Apten port it I am very happy with the performance.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Apten

The Apten porting significantly weakens the supercharger casing resulting in significant flex. This flexing reduces supercharger expected life to about 50K depending on pulleys used.

If it was that easy to grind some material off and get easy HP the engineers who designed the blower would have done it in the first place.

TB

Old 04-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Re: Apten

Originally posted by TrackBeast
The Apten porting significantly weakens the supercharger casing resulting in significant flex. This flexing reduces supercharger expected life to about 50K depending on pulleys used.

If it was that easy to grind some material off and get easy HP the engineers who designed the blower would have done it in the first place.

TB
hmmm, while i wont argue with the porting causing extra flex, not because i agree but because i simply don't know, but the MP from my understanding is just a different case around the same rotor pack, how come engineers didnt just make a better case? I don't think the logic works that way.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:38 PM

TB
I have to disagree!

Apten stated when others started copying his design they warned that copycats may have a weaker case. They tested and tested multiple designs to find the best one, they didn't just hack one up and throw it on the engine.

I trust Brian at Apten and I'm confident that his design will SIGNIFICANTLY WEAKEN THE CASE, resulting in significant flex.

DO YOU HAVE PROOF TO THE CONTRARY BEFORE YOU START ALLEGATIONS?

Old 04-16-2004, 10:37 PM

TB
Thats a bull***** statement if i ever saw one.

im sure it does weaken the case but i doubt very much it will effect longevity in a major way.

Ive seen proof over and over about the gains of the apten port job.Lets see your proof for your bogus statement.......i didnt think so.How in your mind can you even put a mile marker on how long or short it will last? You cannot.so i guess if the eaton is good for 300k miles than only gettting 250k out of it wont really matter .....

I think someone has blower envy.

"your didi is bigger than mine but i know how to use it" kinda statement.........

Old 04-17-2004, 01:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. . .This flexing reduces supercharger expected life to about 50K . . . .

Old 04-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Re: Re: Apten

Originally posted by l-menace
I trust Brian at Apten and I'm confident that his design will SIGNIFICANTLY WEAKEN THE CASE, resulting in significant flex.
Brian has been posting as Brian@sct now and if you check Apten's website their address changed from Missouri to Ohio. Looks like Brian sold out. Is anyone posting from the "new Apten" yet?

Old 04-17-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't know about Brian, but Apten opened up a second shop or moved into a new building.

During the group purchase I called and spoke with HOPE who had me send the $$$ to one office and the blower to their other shop.

I know apten uses SCT, and that Brian and Jerry are friends, becuase I was talking to Brian about chip tuning and I told him Jerry was going to do it and he said that he (brian) is friends with Jerry and would send him all the vectors of the porting. (or something like that) and that was in January.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by l-menace
I don't know about Brian, but Apten opened up a second shop or moved into a new building.

During the group purchase I called and spoke with HOPE who had me send the $$$ to one office and the blower to their other shop.

I know apten uses SCT, and that Brian and Jerry are friends, becuase I was talking to Brian about chip tuning and I told him Jerry was going to do it and he said that he (brian) is friends with Jerry and would send him all the vectors of the porting. (or something like that) and that was in January.
Yep, that's old news though. That was all moves in the St Louis area. If you checkTHIS thread you'll see Brian's email address is now at superchips. If you check Apten's website you'll see Ohio under contacts. Superchips = Florida Anyway, sometimes the glove does fit.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Re: Re: Apten

Originally posted by grinomyte
hmmm, while i wont argue with the porting causing extra flex, not because i agree but because i simply don't know, but the MP from my understanding is just a different case around the same rotor pack, how come engineers didnt just make a better case? I don't think the logic works that way.
The answer is simply that the engineers were given targets for their design and they met them. That includes flow, target power levels,longevity and of course cost.

All I can tell you is that an Apten modified blower was sent to Eaton and the engineers out of curiosity did an evaluation of it.

I don't sell anything and I don't care if you do it or not. I am just sharing information which I thought could be usefull to some that may be concerned with long term reliability.

If some don't agree with it that's fine. I doesn't bother me.

Regards,
TB

Old 04-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by LOCOSVT
The Apten gives you half the hp at one-third the initial cost. But the MP will give you larger increases per mod. By the time you pass the 450 hp mark, the MP starts to become a bargain.

Stock up to 450 hp - Ported Eaton is hard to beat
450hp - 575 hp MP can do it for less
575+hp - KB or Works rule the street
Race oriented - Centrifugal SC builds hi boost efficiently
Big budget, big results - Turbo
I'll go along with that.

Made the first run with the MP today.

Only got one run and I got flagged. But it appears the MP will fall in between the KB and the PE in price and performance.

FF

Old 04-18-2004, 01:21 AM
The answer is simply that the engineers were given targets for their design and they met them. That includes flow, target power levels,longevity and of course cost.

All I can tell you is that an Apten modified blower was sent to Eaton and the engineers out of curiosity did an evaluation of it.

I don't sell anything and I don't care if you do it or not. I am just sharing information which I thought could be usefull to some that may be concerned with long term reliability.

If some don't agree with it that's fine. I doesn't bother me.

Regards,
TB
those are indeed very serious and untrue allegations. The reason that eaton cannot make a supercharger perform to Apten's specifications are because eaton does not hand machine anything on the case. It's all cast and machined. Because of that, there are limitations on radiuses and edges that cannot be reached by a CNC. Eaton also designs the supercharger based around it's design scope, which includes making a supercharger perform at 8psi... factory boost. Ever wonder why the guys with higher boost eatons are seeing a HUGE gain (over 40HP) on ported blowers? It's because the eaton case was designed for the boost levels that ford intended to run. When you manufacture, you have to weigh out costs vs benifits. hand machining a blower for a stock lightning has a much smaller performance gain, and the costs to do that in a high volume manufacturing facility are very high. Plus you have to worry about quality control on anything that has been hand machined in high volumes.

This is how it has always been in the automotive manufacturing business. You don't get ported heads on your car from the factory, yet there is significant room for improvment. There are several reasons why products come out the way they do. The two most significant in this case are based on the scope of product use (8psi) and the costs to manufacture.

Would eaton spend the time to do an engineering evaluation on an Apten blower? No way, whoever told you that was feeding you BS. Perhaps you mean Magnuson, the authorized eaton distributor? They also design their own cases, and they are well aware that there is room for performance improvments over the eaton case, without sacroficing durability or life if done right. At least, that's what one of their employees told me personally at PRI.

I am now in Florida, and Apten has moved to Cincinnati. But Apten is still using the same facility to do the supercharger porting with the same experienced individuals running the machines. Their quality is still the same, and with the products they are developing I can only see things continuing to improve.

Brian

Quick Reply: MP blower or Apten ported eaton?