Lightning

The mods are underway!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004 | 12:13 PM
|
The mods are underway!!

I found enough time on Sunday to install the sparck plugs and the JDM Superchips flip-chip.

I've read all these horror stories about the plugs and was a bit apprehensive.

It's not much worse than my old 5.0 with long tubes and a Vortech!

I started rounding up tools and parts at 3:00pm and was putting them away at 5:45pm. I took about and hour on the driver's side for all but #7. That one took about a half hour to get the coil pack bolt in (damn fule pressure regulator!) and I did strip the first few threads. That one is a bugger! I took a dinner break after that side and the passenger side took about 30 minutes. I cleaned all the coil packs, checked primary and secondary coil resistances and applied new silicon grease to the boot (both ends and the seal to the head). I also had to gap the plugs.

The chip was also pretty easy, but its not the first one I've done. I put the switch in the little bracket under the dash near the heater outlets. Looks like it was made for it!!

The truck runs great (except for the vacuum leak caused by melting through the EGR vacuum tube- DOH)!!! I can't wait to get that pulley on it and get it to the dyno!

Herb

Old 04-19-2004 | 01:16 PM
Hey Herb,

sounds like a nice sunday afternoon. I've done them 4 times now. Got my "ETs" down to about a hour.10 now.

So were your plugs the stock ones? And were anyof them looser than about 10 ft lbs?

Rich

Old 04-19-2004 | 04:48 PM
|
All stock plugs (Autolite platinums) - all TIGHT - I was very pleased

The L has 25K on it now and only 3K of that has been mine, so I can't guarantee the are the originals, but I suspect they were.

I read a few posts about the recommended tools and I sprung for a set of 1/4" and 3/8" Craftsman extensions with the slide locks (pn 943345 for 1/4" and 943355 for 3/8") and they worked B-E-A-utifully. I dropped the coil pack bolts a couple of times, but the magnetic pick up worked fine.

I have GOT to find a better way on that #7 bolt!! The position of that one is ridiculous.

Herb

Old 04-19-2004 | 05:25 PM
get one of the metal push button metal grabber things... use that to hold the coil pack bolt, and then to guide it into place on the coils, then push the button and voila...

Ive got plug changes down to around 45 minutes... unless people are around BSing, then its about an hour.

Quick Reply: The mods are underway!!