Lightning

spraying heat exchanger w/ C02??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spraying heat exchanger w/ C02??

I have an NX intercooler ring left over from some testing I did for Nitrous express at one point as well as everything else needed to spray the heat exchanger on my 02 lightning. I have read that it wouldnt work because of how long it takes the cooled liquid to circulate to the plate below the blower.

My thought process is that since I already have everything needed to do this and I have a few 15 lb bottles I could very easily fill them both with c02 and just have a switch I could flip to let the ring spray the Heat exchanger as long as I wanted to, I would imagine after a minute or so of spraying the coolant would have to be chilled at least to some extent.

I am sure that at least a few people have attempted this, and I would like to know what kind of results they have had. If no-one else has done it I guess I will just have to do a little more testing of NX products.

btw - if it doesn't work I wouldn't be out any money since I already have more nitrous parts than I know what to do with, and I can just hook up a regular wet kit to the truck if I really need too

Does anyone know the amount of coolant in the system and the flow rate for it? I want to get some kind of idea as to how long I would need to spray it. Also what would be the best way of measuring the coolant temps?

Thanks for any input or ideas,
Sean
(NX test dummy)

Old 04-22-2004, 08:16 PM
simply stated.......wont work. do a search for "Icee Chiller" you'll find out why

Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Hey Sean, nothing ventured nothing gained.
They told edidson a light bulb wouldn't work ether.

Stock intercooler holds less than two gallons I'm pretty sure. Closer to a gallon actually.

I use Co2 almost ounce a week to clean Condenser coils on AC units.

I use a regulator but some guys don't. Problem for me is that everything ices up after a few minutes and I loose presure.

It is a 1/4 inch nylone hose with 1/4 flare fittings on the ends.

I can see a mist of frost coming out the hose and it works great to dislodge dirt and debri caught in the fins.

Good luck with your experiment's

Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 PM
The cooler capacity is 4.1 litres. I think the best thing is to spray it directly in the intake. It would be far more efficient. If I had the parts, I would do it.

TB

Old 04-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by JimJr
simply stated.......wont work. do a search for "Icee Chiller" you'll find out why
I did a search for Icee Chiller and did not find anyone THAT HAD TESTED it saying it did not work. Maybe you could do a more in depth search and find some actual results instead of just people saying it wont work.

btw- Im not looking for major power gains here, I am just looking for a safer way to run more boost with the stock Eaton. Plus I like doing things that no-one (or at least very few people) have done

Originally posted by EZGZ
Hey Sean, nothing ventured nothing gained.
They told edidson a light bulb wouldn't work ether.

Stock intercooler holds less than two gallons I'm pretty sure. Closer to a gallon actually.

I use Co2 almost ounce a week to clean Condenser coils on AC units.

I use a regulator but some guys don't. Problem for me is that everything ices up after a few minutes and I loose presure.

It is a 1/4 inch nylone hose with 1/4 flare fittings on the ends.

I can see a mist of frost coming out the hose and it works great to dislodge dirt and debri caught in the fins.

Good luck with your experiment's
Thanks for the info about the capacity of the cooler, how is the fluid pumped through the system? I would imagine if you could pump the fluid faster you could cool things down much faster.

Originally posted by TrackBeast
The cooler capacity is 4.1 litres. I think the best thing is to spray it directly in the intake. It would be far more efficient. If I had the parts, I would do it.

TB
Spraying it into the motor is too easy plus, as I stated above I like doing things differently.

Anyone else have any input, ideas or test results?

Sean

Old 04-22-2004, 10:27 PM
You need to tap the hoses going in and out of the system with temp guages and collect data to find out if speeding it up or slowing it down helps the transfer.

I remeber vaguley from early HVAC days and studying Solar Panel systems and heat exchagers that you get the best transfer when the hotest and coldest come into contact for the first time.

I think Co2 is an inert gas which is not combutable so I don't think you could spray it in the air stream. Unless of course you could spray it over the lower radiator fin area.

The water is circulated with a Bosch electric water pump under the drivers side radiator. Follow the hoses you can't miss it.

Gravity allows the coolent to drain out of the resavoir and go to the suction side of the pump. Then it is pushed up and threw the heat exchanger under the SC.

Look in the yellow pages in your area under solar systems. They have some interesting heat exchangers that would be light weight and might work.
Noranda made a nice little copper double wall tube that seperated the domestic water from the solar system and it worked great. I did a search but found nothing. I might have spelled it wrong like everything else.

Keep Dreaming. Every Single thing created started out as a thought from someone and the made it a reality. Just be safe.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:45 PM
EZGZ - Thanks for all the input. I think I will do a little research and calling around before I install the system. With under 2 gallons of coolant and the fact that it is pumped via an electric pump ( I can speed up or slow down the coolant) I dont see how you could not see any gains.

I personally just think that no-one has tried it because everyone says it wont work.

Does ANYONE have any actual test results? Dyno or temps would be great.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:15 AM
What if you used direct cooling, and bubbled it up through the reservoir?

Or you could splice a small radiator in the line going from the heat exchanger into the intercooler and spray it. Chilling the coolant right before it goes into the intercooler is more efficient than cooling the entire system. That is the point where it should already be cooled somewhat anyway. You could start spraying a minute or two before you staged, and it would be chilled enough to have some effect. The larger the radiator the longer the effect, but how much coolant will flow while you stage and make a pass?

And/Or what about a sleeve to fit around the upper manifold with small vents and a regulator. You could fill it with CO2 and maintain a slow flow. It would evenly cool the entire upper, not just the top of the upper like icing it does.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Sounds good ! Myself I'm gonna wait to see what the system is on the new L in 06 that supposed to run off the AC. It should adapt to our L's

Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
I have something in the works with the a/c and the intercooler. nothing yet all in the fab stages right now.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:46 AM
It works! I've seen this first hand on a dyno!! The guy was using N20 instead of Co2!! He only picked up about 6 HP before the fan started blowing the N20 into the air filter and the truck started breaking up....the run was abborted!!!

Old 04-23-2004, 12:33 PM
This goes back to an idea i had a year or so ago that I never tried, and it's a different twist to it from what you're saying. I wanted to find some sort of smaller radiator or heat exchanger to put inside the stock airbox just under the filter. Incoming air would be forced to go through this small radiator that I was going to be pumping co2 through to cool it down. Never ended up trying it but some people thought it might work. It'd also tell the IAT that the incoming air is cooler and the computer might adjust timing on that also to gain a bit more. Plus, I would run a hose after the radiator and vent it out in the bed of the truck so no inert gases other than burnable air would be able to cross the maf.

I'd be interested in hearing if it works, but I just don't have the time to try it out. I have a bunch of paintball co2 tanks I was going to use. It's like $0.50 to fill them.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by LOCOSVT
What if you used direct cooling, and bubbled it up through the reservoir?

Or you could splice a small radiator in the line going from the heat exchanger into the intercooler and spray it. Chilling the coolant right before it goes into the intercooler is more efficient than cooling the entire system. That is the point where it should already be cooled somewhat anyway. You could start spraying a minute or two before you staged, and it would be chilled enough to have some effect. The larger the radiator the longer the effect, but how much coolant will flow while you stage and make a pass?

And/Or what about a sleeve to fit around the upper manifold with small vents and a regulator. You could fill it with CO2 and maintain a slow flow. It would evenly cool the entire upper, not just the top of the upper like icing it does.
I see what you are saying about chilling the coolant right before it goes to the heat exchanger but I think it would be more beneficial to cool the entire system as far as long lasting effects.

Originally posted by CHIKIN1
It works! I've seen this first hand on a dyno!! The guy was using N20 instead of Co2!! He only picked up about 6 HP before the fan started blowing the N20 into the air filter and the truck started breaking up....the run was abborted!!!
I didn't think about this happening but I will definatly look into a remedy for this problem (thanks for the input)

Originally posted by animal
This goes back to an idea i had a year or so ago that I never tried, and it's a different twist to it from what you're saying. I wanted to find some sort of smaller radiator or heat exchanger to put inside the stock airbox just under the filter. Incoming air would be forced to go through this small radiator that I was going to be pumping co2 through to cool it down. Never ended up trying it but some people thought it might work. It'd also tell the IAT that the incoming air is cooler and the computer might adjust timing on that also to gain a bit more. Plus, I would run a hose after the radiator and vent it out in the bed of the truck so no inert gases other than burnable air would be able to cross the maf.

I'd be interested in hearing if it works, but I just don't have the time to try it out. I have a bunch of paintball co2 tanks I was going to use. It's like $0.50 to fill them.
hmmmm, you make an interesting point about the IAT sensor, I am wondering now about a way to make the computer realize the heat exchanger is cooled down so much and making any A/F adjustments that might be needed for the extra power.

How do Dry nitrous kits work on Lightnings? I know on LS1's you just spray before the maf and thats it. If this were true with lightnings as well I could spray a 25hp shot in front of the MAF which would in turn pass the IAT sensor as well and tell the computer how much cooler the air is that is going into the motor.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey guys-

Your search should be "Nter-cooler" or similar.

Check out the thread below, should help. I still use it anyways, looks cool foggin' by the ground.

BTW, you wouldn't want co2 or n2o entering the intake unintentionally...just like Chicken said.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php
s=&threadid=135384

Good luck

Andy

Old 04-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by teamSLS
Hey guys-

Your search should be "Nter-cooler" or similar.

Check out the thread below, should help. I still use it anyways, looks cool foggin' by the ground.

BTW, you wouldn't want co2 or n2o entering the intake unintentionally...just like Chicken said.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?
s=&threadid=135384

Good luck

Andy
I read your post but I didn't see anywhere that you had actually stated any gains, losses or variances in intake temps. Since you have already done so much testing could you post some dyno graphs or logs of intake temps or anything like that?

Quick Reply: spraying heat exchanger w/ C02??