Lightning

H2O Sensor Tap Location ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004 | 04:54 PM
|
H2O Sensor Tap Location ?

Where on the intake manifold is a good place..I recall Sal and others posting about this but can find nothing. Also what size drill bit and tap do I need?
Thanks

Old 04-23-2004 | 05:57 PM
I don't know about everybody else, but I just put mine in the back of the thermostat housing.

some people will say some crap about the thermostat affecting the temps and "what if" the t-stat sticks, etc.

but it is one of the easiest locations and works just fine when the thermostat is open (basically all the time once the engine is warm the readings are 100% accurate. plus if you decide to get rid of it or if you mess up the threads in the aluminum, a t-stat housing is a lot cheaper to replace than a lower intake.

just my .02

later,
chris

Old 04-23-2004 | 06:03 PM
You mean like this...

The size of the drill bit will vary based upon whether the sending unit is for an electric or mechanical temp gauge. The only words of advice are to start drilling with a small bit and work up to your final size. The metal in that area is fairly thin and you can go through it pretty fast...and you'll only be able to tap two or three threads in there once it's drilled.

Old 04-23-2004 | 06:03 PM
EDIT!!!

Here is my post from my 01L install >>

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=58457

Hey Jeff -

I did this on my 01 and I am getting ready to do it on my 03L tommorro. There is flat spot near # 1 injector thats perfect. I posted a thread on this I will search for it in a few seconds.

Most sensors including my Defi one is 1/8 npt, you will need a 11/32 drill bit and 1/8 npt tap.

Move the IC lines out of the way and drain some coolant. Drill and tap then install sensor with some teflon tape and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by Bob Tompkins; 04-23-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2004 | 07:47 PM
|
Much thanks guys..I finally got the 3 way lotek installed and hooked up the Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauge this afternoon.
Using all autometer stuff..I have the drills and tap set so I should be done today.

Quick Reply: H2O Sensor Tap Location ?