Lightning

Will a pan hard bar help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004 | 05:02 PM
|
Will a pan hard bar help?

Under road racing conditions at a moderate steady turn at 80mph or so, if I apply the brakes moderately the rear end likes to swing out. How much will the pan hard bar help ? Or is this more an issue of the poor weight distribution for the lightning?

Here is what i have

Roush suspension
2 inch belltech shackles
shock extenders

Old 05-07-2004 | 08:49 PM
What do you mean exactly by "swing out?"

If you are talking about oversteer, I would not think that the PHB would help much. If anything, as I understand its effects on roll center, the Ruslow PHB will contribute to oversteer (which, for most front-heavy trucks, is not a bad thing).

The PHB is to steady the axle so that the rear doesn't get squirrely in transitions and so the geometry doesn't get blasted out on high-G turns.

If it is oversteer, there are any number of things that can be done to correct that. Some more detail would help.

Also, your best bet would be the road racing forum at NLOC.

Old 05-07-2004 | 10:15 PM
|
Tim,

It is oversteer like you stated. What other info do you need? What steps are available to correct oversteer? I am sure that weight relocation is one

Old 05-07-2004 | 10:58 PM
Originally posted by player19
Tim,

It is oversteer like you stated. What other info do you need? What steps are available to correct oversteer? I am sure that weight relocation is one
I don't have any personal experience, because my Hotchkis-equipped L has always understeered. I have never had the rear come out at any speed, even with the panhard.

Understeer/oversteer is a super complicated subject, but there is a ton of info out there.

The first place to start is tire pressure. Run some more in the rear and see how it feels.

Maybe the Hotchkis anti-sways that I run account for some of the difference between our trucks. It's an expensive experiment, but they will help the handling anyway.

Here's a nice summary that I stole from the Web:

DECREASE UNDERSTEER..... CORRECTION.....DECREASE OVERSTEER

higher pressure........................tire pressure - front......................lower pressure

larger contact area....................tire section - front...............smaller contact area

more negative.........................wheel camber - front.......................more positive

softer............................................ springs - front.........................................stif fer

thinner (softer).............................sway bar - front.........................thicker (stiffer)

larger...........................................s poiler - front.......................................smalle r

lower pressure.........................tire pressure - rear.....................higher pressure

smaller contact area.................tire section - rear..................larger contact area

more positive.........................wheel camber - rear......................more negative

stiffer........................................... .springs - rear.........................................softe r

thicker (stiffer).............................sway bar - rear.........................thinner (softer)

smaller..........................................s poiler - rear........................................larger

weight bias rearward................weight distribution..............weight bias forward

Quick Reply: Will a pan hard bar help?