Lightning

Do your gauges sweep at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004 | 02:27 PM
|
Do your gauges sweep at start up?

I had an electrical problem an took the L to the dealer.
Now that I have it back, every morning when I turn the key the gauges do a full sweep as if the battery had been disconected. During the day, it won't do it. The truck must sit for a while.

The dealer said that this is normal and that some trucks do this even if it never did it before.

Anybody else have this?

TB

Old 05-10-2004 | 02:35 PM
I would guess your electrical problems are not over. Could you expand on why you brought it to the dealer in the first place?

Old 05-10-2004 | 02:44 PM
I'm with Joe on this one, my L will NEVER go to the dealer,
and the only time my guages ever did something weird on start up, was the first time I put the first chip ever in. When I started it the needles all kind of went dead, then danced around, then settled in, Chips been in and out a million times since, mine sits for very long periods of time between use, and it never ever does that.

Do you have a Chip ?
Have you checked the Computer connection ?
Fues box connection, all connections you can see ?

Hope it's something easy TB

And what was the electrical prob you originally had and speak about ???

Old 05-10-2004 | 05:52 PM
|
Guys,
The dealer said I had a bad connection to the starter. I have no chip and my battery is a little weak. I certainly hope it's as simple as that. I will change the battery and see what happens.

TB

Old 05-10-2004 | 06:35 PM
Do you loose your Radio Station's ???
A weak batt might play tricks with the computer
A bad Started Connection could def be a problem since the
main positive cable is going down there.

I know sometimes there is no choice but the Dealer, just be careful where you go, try and get a recommendation from a local brother. I guess you may have no choice but to bring it in again,
if this problem gets worse. What exactly is it doing, are the needles going dead then jumping around when you start it up ?

Old 05-10-2004 | 06:39 PM
|
Rob,
The battery could be a little weak but it starts Ok. I will set the radio chanels and see if they disappear.
Thanks,
TB

Old 05-10-2004 | 06:40 PM
That sure sounds like a bad connection. Just dis-connect your battery and see if its the same thing when you start the truck.
If it is, then its got to be a bad connection. If not, then the stinkin dealer, you must go

I would try calling one of our supporting vendors and seeing if they can help first!

Old 05-10-2004 | 06:45 PM
|
Originally posted by Fast Gator
That sure sounds like a bad connection. Just dis-connect your battery and see if its the same thing when you start the truck.
If it is, then its got to be a bad connection. If not, then the stinkin dealer, you must go

I would try calling one of our supporting vendors and seeing if they can help first!
Gator,
It is exactly the same as disconecting the battery. I guess it's off to hunting for a bad connection.
Thanks,
TB

Old 05-10-2004 | 06:51 PM
Mine did the same thing-- My battery being weak caused it --- Once i replaced the battery it never did it again....

Old 05-10-2004 | 06:54 PM
Re: Do your gauges sweep at start up?

every morning when I turn the key the gauges do a full sweep as if the battery had been disconected. During the day, it won't do it. The truck must sit for a while.

My truck does the same thing.

Old 05-11-2004 | 11:42 AM
Mine did the same thing. It had to sit overnight and then it would do it. The problem was a slight drain on the battery. When it would sit long enough then it would drain the battery just enough for t to sweep the gauges.
PS, It also started up just fine most of the time but sometimes I could tell the battery was a bit weak.

My exact problem turned out to be a flashing LED that was making an open loop and draining the battery. Even though an LED uses hardly any power the open loop that was created by installing it the way I did put a drain on the Batt.

Good luck with this.

Old 05-11-2004 | 01:13 PM
Every time you reconnect the battery then turn on the ignition the guages go in to test mode. you obviously have a bad connection .

Quick Reply: Do your gauges sweep at start up?