Lightning

installed 6lb pulley & getting detonation (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installed 6lb pulley & getting detonation (questions)

I also have (had) a tuner's "custom tune" (Predator) to go with the pulley. I guess I have a truck that is detonation prone. The "custom tune" timing curve was 16 degrees, and as RPM's would build right before the shift, it would get up to 19 degrees. So, I took the Predator and loaded in Diablosport's "Pulley" tune, and at the same time I increased the fuel table to maximum richness, and pulled the max timing out of it for anti detonation purposes. Now, it seems to stay at 17 degrees WOT. I still have light pinging at the top of the RPM band. I think I am going to tell my tuner to give me a "locked out" timing of 16 or 15 degrees under WOT, as opposed to having the timing increase as the RPM's build.

I am running Amoco 93 octane and a 160 degree thermostat.

Anybody out there have trucks that seem highly prone to detonation? If so, what timing are you running on pump gas? Please mention if you are running 91 or 93 octane.

Thanks.

Greg
Miami, Florida

P.S. Maybe I'll be getting that Anderson Motorsport PMS after all?

Old 05-15-2004, 11:34 AM
If you are going to use a default Preditor tune, use the non pulley tune. There have been posts from a number of members where people using the pulley tune have blown their motors because the Diablo Sports tunes are too agressive.

Just a recommendation to keep your motor in one piece until you can get a custom tune from a vendor.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Mart Man 03 L
If you are going to use a default Preditor tune, use the non pulley tune. There have been posts from a number of members where people using the pulley tune have blown their motors because the Diablo Sports tunes are too agressive.

Just a recommendation to keep your motor in one piece until you can get a custom tune from a vendor.
That was why I decreased the timing and richened the fuel. The timing is 17 degrees now with their tune.

Old 05-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Where's Rob_02?

I just went out and ran it again. Defibnitely, 17 degrees is a little too much. I am going to go with 15 degrees (from my tuner).

Old 05-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Hate to say I told you so.....

The SCT tuner or chip is a better choice. The predator is a timebomb.

Old 05-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
Hate to say I told you so.....

The SCT tuner or chip is a better choice. The predator is a timebomb.

I'm not sure what or when you told me? A chip is simply a piggy back PCM modification. The Predator re-writes it. Timing is timing, and fuel is fuel. I don't see why there is any voodoo between one or the other. I see it this way; once I get the timing set to 15 degrees locked out at WOT, I'll be good to go as far as detonation is concerned. I'll tell the tuner to be conservative (safe) on the fuel curve.

Quick Reply: installed 6lb pulley & getting detonation (questions)