Lightning

Anyone turbocharged a 99 n up lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004 | 09:41 PM

That's just about the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Old 05-29-2004 | 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton

That's just about the coolest thing I've ever seen.
you dont get out much? do you? looks messy and rigged to me...

Old 05-29-2004 | 01:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by grinomyte
[B]just so no one gets confused, no such thing as free power, turbos do take power to run, and i'm pretty sure its more than 7 hp for any blower system.

That is in a non boost situation.

Old 05-29-2004 | 01:41 PM
Race related did a harley a while back it is still on their web site.
http://www.racerelated.com/

Old 05-29-2004 | 03:24 PM
Oh wow, i just made the association.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...588&highlight=
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ht=racerelated
this was so damn long ago i forgot about it. Theres another post about the truck where Tim poo poo's cents and turbos on lightnings. I found that kind funny

Last edited by grinomyte; 05-29-2004 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2004 | 07:56 PM
Originally posted by grinomyte
. . . Theres another post about the truck where Tim poo poo's cents and turbos on lightnings. I found that kind funny
Not exactly the post I would like to see dragged up, but not exactly the inconsistency of the century either.

In response to your statement:

"man i need to read up on turbos, i thought s/c was strictly where it was at."

I said:

"They are, at least for the street in a 5,000 lb truck. Turbos (and centrifugal s/c's) make their power on the top end. Not the ideal setup for a heavy vehicle, but awesome for a race car.

Roots (and twin screws) provide nearly linear boost, which means you have that nice, fat bottom end for everyday driveability (and mean hole shots).

But turbos can be very efficient and you can run a much larger trubo without surging due to the blowoff valves. A well-tuned turbo setup can provide monster power on the top end."

Hardly a "poo poo." And barely even a mention of centrifugals. More a recitation of the popular wisdom.

But I have learned since then -- both through more reading and through personal experience.

While it is clear that a cent will beat a roots lb-for-lb, I'm still not saying that a cent will beat a twin screw lb-for-lb -- at least on a Lightning. Or that it would provide as subjectively satisfying of a driving experience in everyday use. But I'm keeping an open mind.

One thing that I was way off base on, though, is the whole "hole shot" thing. That is simply false. The gradual power of a turbo or cent actually promotes a good hole shot -- at least from a dead stop.

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 05-29-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2004 | 09:54 PM
don't worry tim i know whats up. We all learn and get new info all the time, make opinions based on that info. When you learn new stuff, you make new opinions, thats just how it works.

Although i'm still gonna have to stick with twin screws make the hole shots. Until i see a cent ripping outta there with 1.4's and 1.5's in our truck i think that top blowers just do the best there. Maybe a high stall cent can do the same but it's never been done best that i know. After that though, all compresser.

But believe me, I know better than to argue with lawyers, just found it amusing.

Old 05-30-2004 | 02:00 AM
my experiance with the paxton so far. i made 468 hp 447 ftlbs on a mustang dyne with only 13.5 lbs of boost at 5500 rpm's as rpm's and boost climbed the hp and tq went straight up with it. as far as 60 fts go i was cutting 1.6's with the eaton last year with 15.5 lbs of boost with only 427 hp and 502 ftlbs of tq. now i haven't really got to test to much but i could only muster a 2.02 60' on the 2600 stall pi. and actually 9 tenth slower in the 1/4. now i'm still on the stock short block for now since we do have another little one on the way. i just got the convertor back from having it restalled to 4000rpm's and plan to have it out at nmra maple grove next weekend. i also plan to run 2-3 more pounds of boost and a retune after we get back from the grove. my plan is to have over 600 hp on the stock block by the end of the year since we are building a motor this winter.

all my numbers are from a mustang dyne so if we were to put it on a dynojet we should expect 30-40 more hp.

Old 05-30-2004 | 02:10 AM
. . . Although i'm still gonna have to stick with twin screws make the hole shots. . . . But believe me, I know better than to argue with lawyers, just found it amusing.
We have no arguments, my friend. And I hope that you didn't take my response to be trying to start one. You busted me fair and square and I was just doing some damage control.

I'm a huge fan of the twin screw and always have been. It is clearly the wave of the future -- all new blown SVTs will have Eaton-sourced twin screws. And I'd be delighted to have one in my truck. And may soon . . .

Old 05-30-2004 | 02:45 AM
damage control Hahhahahaha, i like that. I knew it was old, no biggy.

No i know what your saying, I honestly think when easter and rdy2rac get their cents on the track and give us some results were gonna see that twinscrews definately have their competition out for them. The thing that really has me hooked on even roots blowers is just the 100 over torque they make on v8's, and thats why i love em, same for twin screws. Cent's and turbos i don't think will provide that kind of power down low in the rpm band. But I guess the important part is no one really knows. Maybe they can its just undiscovered territory. Im guessing rdy2rac just hasn't learned how to launch yet with a 2.02, cause im pretty sure he can muster better than that.

Now for the important question, where are you getting an eaton sourced twin screw?

Rdy2rac, did you stall it all the way up to 2600 when you did that 2.02 launch? Slicks right? Congrats on shaving a second off your time, i hope you push it as far as you can and show what cents can do.

Couple other quick questions, do you drive it daily? Hows engine noise? How is drivability affected?

Btw, 4000 stall is what i was thinking, i'll bet you have a SICK run with that.

Old 05-30-2004 | 03:22 AM
pretty much my truck is track only from here on out. the convertor acted way different with the cent than the eaton. basically i was lucky to stall at 2000 rpm's. your right i have not had the track time to now how to launch with the novi. i talked to precision about the convertor and they said they do something different in the internals for a cent compared to the standard lightning convertor so thats the main reason i sent it in to restall it.

slicks? yes 29-12-15's

still trying to figure out if we want to change the gear also.

if it holds together we do plan to crank it up to almost 20 psi in sept.

as far as drivability i have only drove it around in the pits. it has a slightly higher idle so if i let it it would probably cruise around at 30mph without me even pushing the pedal. the supercharger whine is wicked. the exhaust seams to be louder too.

for what we have into the truck we do not want to go out and throw a rod because we were looking to be the quickest out there. now next year as long as my job and finances are in check we do plan to have a truck capable of running 9's.

Old 05-30-2004 | 10:32 AM
. . . Now for the important question, where are you getting an eaton sourced twin screw? . . .
I'm not. Sorry. I was talking twin screw generally, not Eaton.

I don't think that is even possible -- according to its Web site, Whipple's agreement gives them US exclusive aftermarket rights for Lysholm screws, with Eaton getting the OEM business.

Quick Reply: Anyone turbocharged a 99 n up lightning?