Lightning

MSD's Engine Knock Alert

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an MSD unit on Myphoon. It will definitely retard the timing when it hears detonation. However, the problem I had with mine and maybe (hopefully) MSD has eliminated it, was that on sensing detonation, it would pull a bunch of timing and the truck fell on it's face then after the detonation stopped it would take two to three seconds to restore.

Sounds like this might not be an issue with the J & S unit, but do they have one to work with our COP setup? Their writeup specifically mentions "single coil".

Old 06-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by danoid5631
A bad tank of gas will show more than at WOT. I am not stupid or new to this.
You think so huh? I've put 89 octane in my tank before - I had no choice, the station was out of premium and my low fuel light was on. The truck ran perfectly....I did not get into boost. Of course if you have water in your gas you will notice something but its not always that noticeable......sometimes it may just be a little low on the octane (yes that happens too) and you won't get any warning until you hit boost if you get any warning.

Originally posted by danoid5631
Unless it is setup to pull timing while the knocking is going on it is useless just like Dale said.
If you count on it to pull the timing and don't lift your foot THEN its useless. Quite often correction can't take place fast enough at WOT to save your engine. Like Dale I am also familiar with the Turbo Regals (I have an 87 GrandNational) and I have two forms of knock detection in it JUST FOR ME, the first is an audible warning and the second is my digital readout which tells me exactly how much detonation it is picking up. Whenever I go WOT the Radio is off and my eyes are mostly on that read out. If I see more than 4degrees of timing being pulled then I lift off the gas. This has saved me from blowing headgaskets or worst on MANY occasions. And I don't have any problems hearing my audible detector either. I wouldn't give up either of them without a bloody fist fight

Originally posted by danoid5631 Trust me I know when my baby isnt acting right. If you want gaurentees before you mod your truck I wouldnt mod it ever. Hell detonation isnt the only thing to blow these motors once modded.
Noone said I wanted gaurantees, what I want is knock detection. And trust me when I say without knock detection you only THINK you know that your baby is running/acting right.....it may be dancing on that line of destruction and you won't KNOW until its too late. I can tell you at what point my GN knocks because of overboosting - I can tell you at what point my GN knocks because of lean AF Ratio - I can tell you at what EGT my GN begins to Knock - I can tell you exactly how much boost I can run on any given octane fuel. Can you say the same? I KNOW WHEN THIS BABY IS RUNNING RIGHT but more importantly I know when there is a problem and I know it at its very first signs which gives me a the opertunity to save the motor from eminent destruction (blown headgaskets or worst).

AND I gaurantee you that Detonation is the single leading cause of engine failure in modded Lightnings.

I'm not happy in the dark, therefore I seek the light......not as it shines threw the new window in my block tho.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:10 PM
I had an MSD unit on Myphoon. It will definitely retard the timing when it hears detonation. However, the problem I had with mine and maybe (hopefully) MSD has eliminated it, was that on sensing detonation, it would pull a bunch of timing and the truck fell on it's face then after the detonation stopped it would take two to three seconds to restore.
According to their product page, they make a setup for multi ignition coil systems. This looks like it could be a really great addition for our trucks, but I hope they've corrected the problem that madferraristi had on his Typhoon. I'm going to do some more research on this thing. I'll post if I find anything interesting.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Please do, Vinnie. I'll buy this in a heartbeat if it'll actually work on our trucks, and be a worthwhile mod.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Just got off the phone with John over at J&S. At the moment they do not have a system that will work with our trucks, but he mentioned several different approaches which they are investigating now. He said he would send me an e-mail with an update in a month or so, and if that happens I'll post the message here.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bad as L
This thread is not about knock sensors its about knock detection and warning the driver. And I don't think it has been covered.
It's still the same issue -- whether it's activating a light or telling a computer to pull timing, the system still has to be able to (1) correctly identify the accoustical signature of knock and then (2) send a signal to do something.

(2) is not the problem; (1) is.

Quick Reply: MSD's Engine Knock Alert