Lightning

MSD's Engine Knock Alert

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD's Engine Knock Alert

I came across this on JEGs.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...67&prmenbr=361

Has anyone tried this on a Lightning. Pros and Cons. I think this would be great addtion if it works because detonation is what kills L engines.

MSD Stats:

One of an engines worst enemies is detonation. It can occur at any time and if left uncontrolled, severe engine damage may result. Sometimes however, the pinging noise may be hard to hear or recognize due to well insulated interiors, engine compartments or excessive road noise. The MSD Engine Knock Alert listens to what's going on in the engine for you. When detonation occurs, it relays this information to you in two forms; a warning light and an audible beep. An extremely sensitive Knock Sensor is used to ''listen'' to the engine. This sensor is screwed into one of the engine block's drains or access holes (an adapter mount is also supplied). Once in place, the sensor relays excessive detonation noise to the Knock Alert. Since all engines make noise, some more than others, MSD added a sensitivity adjustment to the Alert. This adjustment allows you to ''tune'' the Alert to match your engine's characteristics. The Knock Alert is easy to install and features matching Weathertight connectors for firm connections. It will work on 4, 6 and 8-cylinder engines with 12 volt electrical systems and comes complete with the sensor, adapter and controller.

Old 05-30-2004, 05:43 AM
It's my understanding that we already have one from the factory!

It comes standard on the non SC engine.

Ours is disconnected due to the noise and turbulence created by our SC it triggers the senser.

That one appears to be adjustable so maybe it would work.

Nice find

Last edited by EZGZ; 05-30-2004 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Wow, that'd be really nice to have, if it could be adjusted to work with our trucks...

Old 05-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Any others with insights on this product.

I think it has lots of potential becuase I can't hardly hear my engine with laud as hell exhaust at WOT.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure do *speculate* that if it was as easy as just tuning/adjusting? Papa Ford would have done it from the start.

Never the less, good luck on this! If it functions properly? It sure would be a "good thing".

Rich

Old 05-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Ill stick with my wide band. I know where my truck likes the timming and I make sure she has the right amount of fuel.
That is an interesting product though.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Looks interesting, and not a bad price.

Old 05-31-2004, 02:27 AM
Thumbs down

Speculate on this Wydopnhrt1 If it waseasy to put more tuan 3 threads in our spark plug holes, they would have done it, but they did not. Do not give FORD 2 nuch credit, they do not deserve it.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by danoid5631
Ill stick with my wide band. I know where my truck likes the timming and I make sure she has the right amount of fuel.
That is an interesting product though.
Having a wide band is nice and gives you reliable AF numbers but even if your truck is perfectly tuned all it would take is a bad tank of gasoline to turn your motor into a pile of crap. There is no replacement for knock detection. Lack of a way to monitor detonation is the single reason why I haven't modded my truck yet.....I guess its that Grand National blood in my system.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:33 PM
FYI....

1) This topic has been covered long ago by people who know what they're talking about. Try searching.

2) You can still tank a motor with a knock sensor.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Crued
FYI....

2) You can still tank a motor with a knock sensor.
True.
You must remember that a knock sensor will not prevent detonation it will only alert you of it. You have to pay attention to it and you have to lift your right foot when it starts picking up detonation. It is a tool and is only as good as the mechanic that wields it. Also it will only help you protect your engine from damage due to detonation.....not overpowering stock components or anything else for that matter. Many engines that have integrated knock sensors use them to alert the ECM to pull timing to help counter detonation but that will only protect you during normal street driving, if you encounter knock while running your motor hard you have to lift off of the gas to prevent damage. While its still up in the air if the MSD unit would work for us it would be an invaluable tool to have.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:57 PM
This thread is not about knock sensors its about knock detection and warning the driver. And I don't think it has been covered.

You could buy a gadget like this for a turbo regal over 10 years ago. Its a cute little gadget but in the heat of battle I still didn't see it. Even tho it was supposed to have a 100db tweeter in it I still barely heard it over the noise of the car and the light was worthless unless you were looking right at it.

Never the less I still think it wasn't a bad idea. Maybe you could wire it into a shift light and stick it right on top of the dash.
Dale

Old 05-31-2004, 07:28 PM
A bad tank of gas will show more than at WOT. I am not stupid or new to this. Unless it is setup to pull timing while the knocking is going on it is useless just like Dale said. Trust me I know when my baby isnt acting right. If you want gaurentees before you mod your truck I wouldnt mod it ever. Hell detonation isnt the only thing to blow these motors once modded.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Bad as L
you could wire it into a shift light and stick it right on top of the dash.
Dale

That what I was thinking also. I am no expert on what causes detonation but whatever causes it and you get alerted before anything bad happens is a great product on my opinion. I think with a nice and bright light on your stirring wheel that turns on when detonation is sense would be cool.

It could be called the "***** is going to happen light" so step of the gas pedal

I wonder what the tuners have to say about this product.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Here's one that alerts and pulls timing by individual cylinder. Excellent product, should work on a Lightning.

J&S

Jody

Quick Reply: MSD's Engine Knock Alert