Lightning

GTP vs L: Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004 | 09:20 AM
|
GTP vs L: Knock Sensor

The Eaton supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix uses knock sensors, and the Lightning cannot. I wonder why the k/s works on the GTP and not our trucks. Could it be the location of the Pontiac's k/s?

Seems to me a functional knock sensor on the Lightning would save alot of engines.

Old 05-30-2004 | 09:32 AM
Re: GTP vs L: Knock Sensor

Originally posted by Stl01SVT
Seems to me a functional knock sensor on the Lightning would save alot of engines.
Or make it about as slow as the GTP.

No disrespect ot the car, it kicks *** in its class, but its nearly half the torque and a good 200 hp off. I'm guessing this has quite a bit to do with it.

Also engine construction as well. Almost all n/a ford truck engines i've driven have had a real slight knock to it at idle, i don't know if that honestly makes a difference, but surely you can imagine knock sensors working well for one engine type and not another.

Old 05-30-2004 | 09:37 AM
|
Re: Re: GTP vs L: Knock Sensor

Or make it about as slow as the GTP.

My friends modded (bolt-ons) GTP runs in the 12's. But, he does have spark retard problems.

Old 05-30-2004 | 10:11 AM
knock sensor

It's the location of the knock sensor in our trucks that is the problem. It is mounted in the engine valley right under the intake this works good on a N/A engine but when they put the deeper intake and the S/C on the sensor picked up the blower noise and retarded the timing. so they reprogramed the PCM not to look at the knock sensor data

Old 05-30-2004 | 02:35 PM
Re: Re: Re: GTP vs L: Knock Sensor

Originally posted by Stl01SVT
My friends modded (bolt-ons) GTP runs in the 12's. But, he does have spark retard problems.
including pulley and chip and every bolt on known to man.........you need alot to make them 12 second rides. i have a few firends with them and they have the pulley chip combo with bolt ons and the most they run is low 13's consistently.

Old 05-30-2004 | 07:16 PM

Quick Reply: GTP vs L: Knock Sensor