Lightning

Hotchkis Front Sway Bar Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004 | 02:00 AM
|
Sorry, still don't know how to post pictures. So, here's a link to my gallery. I when to my tire place today and the owner of the shop told me he thinks it is the camber. So, I'm scheduled for an alignment tomorrow morning. Hopefully it's just the camber but the wear on the tire just doesn't seem logical if it's just the camber. Oh, and the picture of the tire in my gallery is one that I still have on my truck. The one that went flat was worn much much worse. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2004 | 02:20 AM
Hmm, i dont think the link is working. But im guessing it does not rub when the truck is stopped and you turn the steering wheel either way to full lock. Im guessing it probably happens when the tire is leaning while the truck is moving. I actually got my truck aligned a month ago, and when I took it in, they told me that one side in the front had camber that was WAAAYY off. Too far to be adjusted by the stock adjustments. Had to pay for the extra camber plates. It could be that. But I would also like to know because ive already ordered my TVS and am waiting for its arrival.

Old 06-04-2004 | 12:52 PM
|
Try this link. See if that works. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2004 | 05:20 PM
Yea, you are right, that one area on the edge looks quite worn out. I would say take it in for an alignment, see what they say, this is if you cannot see the swaybar actually touching.

Old 06-05-2004 | 02:14 AM
|
The alignment guy said it was off a little bit and that he's pretty much used up all his adjustment for the front passenger side. I just can't imagine that if the camber was off just a little that it would cause it to wear on the very edge like that so bad. Anyways, now that it has been aligned I'm going to keep my eye on it and see if the problem persists. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2004 | 11:24 PM
UPDATE...HELP!!! I installed my 'new' TVS last week, and today I took the truck on a 200 mile trip. Part of it was mountain...through the hard curves, i pretty much managed to flat both front tires...saw it was rubbing the swaybar...WHY!?!?

Old 08-08-2004 | 10:41 AM
Originally posted by AmoJohnny
UPDATE...HELP!!! I installed my 'new' TVS last week, and
today I took the truck on a 200 mile trip. Part of it was
mountain...through the hard curves, i pretty much managed to
flat both front tires...saw it was rubbing the swaybar...WHY!?!?
#1 - what's a TVS?
#2 - what do you mean "flatted"
#3 - minimal rubbing of the sway bar at extreme camber (like
when you are slamming around the mountain roads) is normal
to some extent.

#4 - Ahem ...

Last edited by SVT_KY; 08-08-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2004 | 10:47 AM
This is totally camber related imho.

Old 08-08-2004 | 10:53 AM
Hotchkis TVS he means..... it stands for Total Vehile Systems- thats their way of saying its a package set front,rear springs and sway bars w/ components.

cant see any rubbing be normal- something is wrong with that statment i think.

Old 08-08-2004 | 12:45 PM
No, mine made a clear and disticnt line all the way throught the rubber on the inside sidewall. Where the lettering is. ON BOTH SIDES... All the way through the tire, till I had two flat tires. Now Im on two spare tires, trying to figure out how to fix this before it happens again.

Old 08-08-2004 | 03:26 PM
That is camber wear. My tire looked much worse then that. I had a slow leek so I pulled the tire and the in side edge was worn bad and bubbaling. I got 2 new F1's and the shop that alligned them said my camber was Way off. BTW new F1's on the front rock

Old 08-08-2004 | 03:57 PM
all the way throught the rubber on the inside sidewall. Where the lettering is. ON BOTH SIDES... All the way through the tire, till I had two flat tires. Now Im on two spare tires, trying to figure out how to fix this before it happens again.
remove the swaybar.

if it rubbing through the tires sidewall like you say, this is EXTREMELY dangerous.

my tires rub the swaybars at full lock, but only enough to scuff the swaybars a little.

UPDATE...HELP!!! I installed my 'new' TVS last week, and today I took the truck on a 200 mile trip. Part of it was mountain...through the hard curves, i pretty much managed to flat both front tires...saw it was rubbing the swaybar...WHY!?!?
frankly I don't understand how you are driving the truck at full lock enough to wear through the sidewalls of your tires in just 200 miles, but it really doesn't matter, the swaybar needs to come off for now until you get it figured out.

put the stocker back on for now.

the only things I can think of would be wider than stock wheels, rediculously toe'd in alignment, or the sway bar is the incorrect piece and is simply too wide.

good luck.

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 08-08-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2004 | 09:58 PM
I'm thinking you don't have the correct anti-sway bar.

That's a possibility.

If I get a chance I will measure mine for ya....

Old 08-08-2004 | 10:41 PM
Thanks...id appreciate that...i have two spares on the front right now...which dont seem to be rubbing.

Old 08-10-2004 | 09:32 PM
Just a thought

Also, I think I saw in a shop one time 2 different Hotchkis sway bars for our L's..............one part# was for factory ride height L's, and another was for lowered (up to 3") Lightnings. Maybe you have the wrong Hotchkis sway bar on your ride. Call Hotchkis and check.

Joe

Quick Reply: Hotchkis Front Sway Bar Issues