Lightning

Hotchkis Front Sway Bar Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004 | 01:04 AM
|
Hotchkis Front Sway Bar Issues

Anyone had any trouble with your front Hotchkiss sway bar rubbing your tires? I think my sway bar has been rubbing the inside of my passenger side tire really bad. I had noticed a while ago that the paint had rubbed off the front bar at the spot where the tire looked like it might rub under heavy cornering. But, this last week I got a flat on my passenger side front tire and I was checking the tire out. It had been severely worn on the very inside of the tread. Anyone else had an issue similar to mine and if so how did you fix it? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2004 | 01:23 AM
I noticed mine rubbed a little also

Old 06-02-2004 | 01:30 AM
Mine rubs a little also. But certainly nothing bad enough to cause any damage to the tire. The only way that I can tell is from some slight rub marks.

But I have aftermarket wheels and tires, using the stockers only for open track events. I'm not sure which one is doing the rubbing.

Also, you only have the wheel at full lock during very slow speed (like parking lot) driving. I wonder how yours rubbed enough to actually damage the tire?

Old 06-02-2004 | 10:38 AM
Tim,

I don't think he is saying the bar caused the flat. Just that he saw the rub marks when he took the tire off to change a flat caused from another source.

Jerry

Old 06-02-2004 | 10:50 AM
Mine rubs at full lock ... No paint on the bar ...

Old 06-02-2004 | 11:18 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
At full lock, it rubs with HD 20's also..

Old 06-02-2004 | 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ShadowBolt
. . . I don't think he is saying the bar caused the flat. Just that he saw the rub marks when he took the tire off to change a flat caused from another source. . . .
"It had been severely worn on the very inside of the tread."

I thought that this was some indication that the bar was being held responsible for this wear.

Old 06-02-2004 | 06:02 PM
|
I wasn't sure if it was the camber or from the sway bar. But the more I think about it the tire rubbing against the bar seems to make more sense because the worn part is just on the very inside of the tread. I'll try to take some pictures tonight. I also noticed that my drivers side has rub marks but if it's wearing the tire it's not nearly as server as the passanger side. I don't know what to do. I ordered a new tire but I don't want to have the same problem down the road. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2004 | 06:10 PM
mine rubs, no tire damage.

there is no way that this could damage your tire unless you drove in circles for like 12 hours or something.

and it doesn't contact the tread, it contacts the sidewall.

just my .02

later,
chris

Old 06-02-2004 | 08:28 PM
Plus if you rotate front to back, it splits the damage between the two tires...its not just one tire that takes all the rubbing.

Old 06-03-2004 | 06:46 AM
Originally posted by AmoJohnny
Plus if you rotate front to back, it splits the damage between the two tires...its not just one tire that takes all the rubbing.
Rotate? I do !!! I rotate the old front tires to the back
everytime I buy a new pair ... about every 10,000 miles

Old 06-03-2004 | 11:05 AM
|
I did rotate my tires. I rotated from front to back and when I got the flat it actually happen while the tire was in the back. I had just gotten back from a 70 round trip on the highway. Got home and when I went to go out again a few hours later the tire was flat. I changed it and proceeded to inspect the tire. I filled it up with air again and I could hear a hisssing sound. I looked closer and the very inside of the tread was worn so much the it almost when through the tire. I think with the highway driving and the air pressure inside the tire it popped a little small hole in a spot where it was very worn. I concluded that it had to be the rubbing on the sway bar because the wear pattern didn't tapper off towards the outside of the tire. And as for driving in circles, sometime I feel like that's what I'm doing, but I don't actually do that. My bar seems to contact the inside tread and no the sidewall. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-03-2004 | 01:55 PM
Hellwig bars do not touch.

Jerry

Old 06-03-2004 | 04:27 PM
Originally posted by My Red-Rocket
. . . .I looked closer and the very inside of the tread was worn so much the it almost when through the tire. . . . I concluded that it had to be the rubbing on the sway bar because the wear pattern didn't tapper off towards the outside of the tire. . . . My bar seems to contact the inside tread and no the sidewall. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-03-2004 | 05:15 PM
Yea, maybe pics could be helpful to understand which part of the bar is rubbing where on the tire. I would def like to know this if you can show it.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis Front Sway Bar Issues