Lightning

Hi Flow Catalytic converters falling apart (broken and rattling) after 1 year

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004 | 02:51 PM
Old 06-08-2004 | 08:10 PM
or you could go to the local emissions garage and get your defective cat slip, gut them furthur,take it to Sal for dyno and send a copy of slip to cat supplier with sad news and copy of laws.

Old 06-09-2004 | 12:18 AM
Maybe this information is of no help to anyone, but here goes.
At our local Mustang car club meeting tonight, I made a specific point of asking one of our members who ownes two or three of the national muffler chain stores. Meike its called, but I may have spelled it wrong.
Anyways he is familer with the honeycomb cats breaking apart.
He does sell "high flow" 2 & 1/2 inlet cats as a replacement.
Yes he must also do the paper work certifing that the old ones were "bad".

He knew of two cases where they replaced the cats under warrenty and the manafacturer of the cats stood behind there product, no problem.

He said he could surely fit high flow cats to my truck if mine were bad and guaratee them!!!!!

Mine are OK but they are from JDM.

I guess its WHO you deal with that makes the big difference.

Old 06-09-2004 | 02:20 AM
Originally posted by superfords
I'll probably just gut them and get some quieter mufflers.

I been running without cats for about 8 months already now. And I am very happy with my setup. Once I added long tubes headers they quited down a lil bit.

I heard that gutting them gives you a bad sound. I have straight pipe where the cats where before.

BTW: I have a dual Boral XR-1 Sportmans Race Mufflers with x-pipe and long tube header exhuast with all 2 1/2 piping. I scare lil kids

I say run without any cats -- straight pipe it. I heard you gain some hp but lose some lowend tq.

Old 06-09-2004 | 02:32 AM
Chris, The exact same cats on your exhaust can be purchased for $40 a piece. You can email Retics4me (retics4me@yahoo.com) he found some guy on ebay that has previously sold the cats and he sold Jason a set. I think the guy in in Tennesee but Jason can help and answer better than me.

Old 06-09-2004 | 06:30 AM
Originally posted by JimIII@jdm
The cats are a tough subject. They are some of the better
ones out but if you are making high HP numbers they are going
to break up. The technology for these cats is far behind that of
the technology of making these trucks fast. The cats just simply
dont break up for no reason at all and we are really asking alot
out of them. Leaky headers, bad gas, bad tune, and being
anything less than gentle with them will cause a cat to break
up. Not many street cars make 400,500,600,700 HP,
occasionally go to the track and actually have catalytic
converters. On the same note I know that Dons Bolt has been
driving on the carsound cats for the last 3 years almost and just
recently blew them out. Ask Don how many miles he has driven
on them I think its over 20,000 miles. We would like to warranty
everyones cats but carsounds is tough on having them
warrantied even for us, a vendor that does a high volume of
buisness with them.

JimIII

Too bad you don't tell people that BEFORE they plop down $1,700 ...

Old 06-09-2004 | 09:28 AM
SVT_KY

Some of you guys just can't wait to get one more dig in against JDM. JDM does not make these cats, they resell them as do thousands of other performance and muffler shops across the country. Bassani has had the same problems with there cats and has also refused to warranty them, but I don't see you putting in digs against their vendors.
What ever your problem with JDM is/was, let it go and move on with your life. You'll be happier that way.
By the way, one of my cats also failed earlier this year after two years, 20K miles. I bought two new ones, (2 cats with installation totalled $300) and didn't look back. That's part of owning a performance vehicle.

Lightning Bob

Old 06-09-2004 | 12:33 PM
Re: SVT_KY

Originally posted by Lightning Bob
Some of you guys just can't wait to get one more dig in against JDM. JDM does not make these cats, they resell them as do thousands of other performance and muffler shops across the country. Bassani has had the same problems with there cats and has also refused to warranty them, but I don't see you putting in digs against their vendors.
What ever your problem with JDM is/was, let it go and move on with your life. You'll be happier that way.
By the way, one of my cats also failed earlier this year after two years, 20K miles. I bought two new ones, (2 cats with installation totalled $300) and didn't look back. That's part of owning a performance vehicle.

Lightning Bob
Well, maybe you should think for a sec before you just ASSUME
that it is a dig, huh? Most parts for OFF ROAD consumption specifically
state that they are not for on road use and that there is NO WARRANTY.
Most race parts are the same ...

What I was pointing out was that nobody is telling the customers
that there isn't any warranty on the parts.

That's all ... Lose the drama, d00d ...

Old 06-09-2004 | 01:08 PM
On a side note it is illegal to replace the factory cats with anything other that factory cats before 50K miles or something. I'd have to look it up exactly.

"Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement."

Old 06-09-2004 | 02:40 PM
What does this cat rattling sound like? I have been happy with the Bassani cats on my 2001 and 2003 L's (prolly have 20K miles on them so far) but I want to know what to listen for when they start to go south. Is it a rattle that varies in a regular pattern/speed with RPM, etc, or does it sound like rocks tossing around randomly in there? Metallic and tin-sounding? Or soft, muffled noises?

Old 06-09-2004 | 02:55 PM
Old 06-09-2004 | 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BMWBig6
What does this cat rattling sound like? I have been happy with the Bassani cats on my 2001 and 2003 L's (prolly have 20K miles on them so far) but I want to know what to listen for when they start to go south. Is it a rattle that varies in a regular pattern/speed with RPM, etc, or does it sound like rocks tossing around randomly in there? Metallic and tin-sounding? Or soft, muffled noises?
Sounds like rocks in a can or a rattle and yes it can be rpm dependant.

Old 06-09-2004 | 03:05 PM
LOL Chikenears.

So it's not a regular ticking or tapping sound like an exhaust leak, it's definitely a more random noise involving several objects/rocks right?

Quick Reply: Hi Flow Catalytic converters falling apart (broken and rattling) after 1 year