Lightning

Hi Flow Catalytic converters falling apart (broken and rattling) after 1 year

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004 | 12:53 PM
|
Angry Hi Flow Catalytic converters falling apart (broken and rattling) after 1 year

Well, I was pulling across an intersection last night, driving easy, just crossing the street to get to a gas station and the motor starts rattling!

I am like HOLY SHEET! it sounded just like a rod/bearing knock, the knocking/rattling noise came and went in direct relation to engine speed.

I thought at first that my motor was coming apart, but I pulled into the gas station parking lot and it appears as if at least one of my "HI FLOW" catalytic converters has broken.

It sounds like the catalyst or "brick" is just bouncing around inside the housing. it sounds like CRAP. feel like I'm driving a junker. I drove straight home and parked it, it's a beautiful day today, I'd love to go for a cruise but it would be too embarassing.

the cats are the "carsound" brand. I have heard reports of others having this same problem, so I guess I should have known it was coming.

These cats were part of the JDM full exhaust that I bought last year. it was THE FIRST performance modification that I installed. My post on the installation was done on January 10th, so my truck was less than two weeks old when I installed the headers and exhaust.

the truck was parked in my garage from late last November until March of this year while I was building the new motor. So as far as driving time, the cats lasted a whopping 12 months of actual use!

to others who have had this failure, is there any warranty?

I know factory equipped converters are by law warrantied for 8yrs/80,000 miles. does the same apply to aftermarket cats? even if that were the case, I'm not sure I would want to reinstall these on my truck.

it's bad enough, that I'll have to hack up the exhaust to install them, but then what? I do it AGAIN next year when they fail on me again???

Does anybody know of a better catalytic converter to replace with?

I know bassani has had lots of problems with the cats they were using in their products. I swear I think I saw on TV the other day where they had released a new high flow cat that was supposed to be more durable and superior to what is currently available.

isn't high performance fun...

$1700 exhaust.

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 06-06-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-06-2004 | 01:00 PM
superfords,

You're right about the Bassanis. I had a four-year old cat X-pipe on my Cobra that had the same thing happen and I did exactly what you did - drove straight home out of embarrassment.

I got a new Bassani with the new cats and they appear to be superior as they are no longer ceramic but are a metal "grid" that's probably plated with the catalyst. I would be very surprised if these fail.

NakMan

Old 06-06-2004 | 01:14 PM
DynaTech makes a mettalic substrate Powercat that is suppose to be more durable than the ceramic cats. I'm running these on my car, but just installed them in Feb.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/powercat.htm

Last edited by Stl01SVT; 06-06-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2004 | 01:40 PM
I'm having the same problem with my Car Sound cats, Chris. It knocks in relation with the rpm's and sounds like I broke something in the engine. When this started, I wasn't even running it hard, just driving around town having a good old time and BAM, all of a sudden my heart fell down into my stomach.

Is there anything worth a crap anymore?

Tim @ Chikenears

Old 06-06-2004 | 01:43 PM
There was a similar post a while back with the same problem. JDM's response was that a lean tune melted the cats. Seems unlikely to me.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=melted+cat

Old 06-06-2004 | 02:12 PM
Those cats fail all the time.

I lost one on my silver 01 and a local guy has gone through two of them, they are carsound cats purchased through JDM.

Bob

Old 06-06-2004 | 02:33 PM
I had the same problem with mine awhile back. I just made them custom high flows for sure...

Worth a few ponies to....

Old 06-06-2004 | 03:36 PM
I heard MagnaFlows Cats are great but I haven't really tired them yet.

BTW isn't what you guys doing againt the law. Your hurting poor lil "cats" by placing them exposed to all the heat. Thats aninal crulity in my book.

I care for the animals thats why I don't have any cats on my truck.

Old 06-06-2004 | 04:45 PM
CarSound/MagnaFlow

When talking about CarSound and MagnaFlow cats, we are talking about the same catalytic converter, no matter if it's purchased through JDM or not, right?

Old 06-06-2004 | 05:35 PM
Chris
I don't know how you can stand the drone or the sound of that system anyway. I say cut off everything from the headers back and start fresh
This is also you opportunity to make the cats quick change. Put some V-band clamps on them so they are easily changed with a straight thru bullet muffler or a straight pipe. You know strictly for off road purposes
Dale

Old 06-06-2004 | 07:33 PM
my drivers side high flow cat (carsound) began to rattle. did for like a week. Then one day it stopped and has not rattled again.

Will

Old 06-06-2004 | 11:23 PM
My Dynatech's have about a year on them with no problems at all so far; probably got 200 passes at the track on them and 8k street miles.

Old 06-06-2004 | 11:25 PM
|
two votes so far, anybody else have experience with these things?

Dynatech Powercat

Last edited by superfords; 06-06-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2004 | 12:44 AM
Originally posted by rscoleman
There was a similar post a while back with the same problem. JDM's response was that a lean tune melted the cats. Seems unlikely to me.

Its actually quite opposite, you will have higher exhaust temps when running fat than you will running lean. The unburned fuel in the exhaust continues to burn as it flows thru your exhaust system. I had a 93 Cobra that had a wire burn, the header and cats on that thing were cherry hot after a trip across town.

Old 06-07-2004 | 05:15 AM
Re: Hi Flow Catalytic converters falling apart (broken and rattling) after 1 year

Originally posted by superfords
Does anybody know of a better catalytic converter to replace with?

later,
chris
http://www.randomtechnology.com/

Quick Reply: Hi Flow Catalytic converters falling apart (broken and rattling) after 1 year