Lightning

Guys with cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guys with cams

I was wondering what your truck idles at, especially the Comp XE270 or 274? I just got mine back together and the base program idles around 800-900 but you can't hear the cam's at all. I dropped it down about 100 rpms and you can hear them now. Problem is the check engine light has come on twice, both times I had the chip with the lower idle in. It takes awhile for it to come on to once it has been reset. I hope to get the code pulled later today, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask around. It may not even be related but I have a feeling it is.
Thanks Mike

Old 06-07-2004, 02:17 PM
i run the modmax supercharger street and strip grind, and you can definitly tell it has a lope to it, even just off idle. maybe the computer thinks its missing? i havent had an engine code with mine

Old 06-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Comp cams here. Idles at 800-900. Can't really tell they are there.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Re: Guys with cams

Originally posted by Twinturbo Ranger
I was wondering what your truck idles at, especially the Comp XE270 or 274? I just got mine back together and the base program idles around 800-900 but you can't hear the cam's at all. I dropped it down about 100 rpms and you can hear them now. Problem is the check engine light has come on twice, both times I had the chip with the lower idle in. It takes awhile for it to come on to once it has been reset. I hope to get the code pulled later today, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask around. It may not even be related but I have a feeling it is.
Thanks Mike
I started with the comp cams and with the idle at 825 or higher you can't even tell it has cams. I now have the crowler cams with more lift and still at 825 rpms you can't tell it has cams either. Now when in park or neutral the idle drops to 725, you can diff here the lobe and cam. I had the same prob you had with the SES light comming on after I start down the road, in my case it was a lean code and needed more fuel. After the adjustment to my chip, no more SES light. I love the cam lobe in park or neutral!!!

Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 PM
I believe you will find the SES light problem in the O2 sensors.

Mine had a hard time staying lit off at an idle.

I ended up pulling the headers and moving the O2 sensors closer to the exhuast port. On ProM's web site they say this is a common problem with cammed motors and they don't recommend the sensor being more than 18" from the exhaust port. My sensors are now less than 12" from the port and they are both on the 3rd cylinder from the front......It worked for me.

Comp 270 here. ( Actually they are 274's but I run solid lifters and the lash knocks the cam back to a 270 intake and a 268 exhaust measured at the valve.)
Dale

Old 06-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. Actually that is all good info. The base program has the idle at around 775 and you can hardly tell they are there, but I never had the light come on this way. When I drop it to 675 via my other burn the light will come on eventually. I will get the code pulled today and see what it is and go from there. I just had a feeling that it was related.

On a side have any of you pulled the valve covers while in the truck? I went to order the chrome valve covers and they are out right now, but I would like to get them eventually. The drivers side can be done I know, but I'm not sure of the passenger side.
Thanks Mike

Old 06-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Here is what I found so far:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=159095

Thanks Mike

Quick Reply: Guys with cams