Lightning

Lightning PCV Valve Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004 | 10:35 PM
|
Lightning PCV Valve Kit

I'm new to Lightning's so, anyone ever use this kit to prevent oil from getting in their intake? Does it work? Comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2480842746

Old 06-16-2004 | 04:29 AM
I bought the same kit and it seems to do the job. It is really a very simple package and a simple installation.

Old 06-16-2004 | 06:03 AM
I've been using it for quite a while,
and YES IT WORKS
http://lightning-enterprise.com/pcv.html

I run hi boost
hi timing
lots of Mods
and pretty dam good Et's

here's my IC at 12K

SPOTLESS

Here's my TB and inlet boot 2 weekends ago

AGAIN SPOTLESS

You will still get a very small amount of oil BEHIND the T/B
and a light coating in the upper (from the rear hose)
but not enough to make it to the IC, or front of TB.

Great Kit for a Great $ if you asked me

Old 06-16-2004 | 07:58 AM
According to literature on Kenne Bell's site they too offer a PVC kit also, but it does not appear on their ordering list. Does anyone run this on their L? Is it still offered?

Old 06-16-2004 | 12:14 PM
Damnit Rob! I'm tired of seeing pictures of your clean intake and intercooler! Now I gotta buy the kit for myself. I noticed oil in my upper intake the other day when I was installing my phenolic spacer, and you seem to think highly of the lightning enterprises kit. Oh well, it's just more money...

-Nate

Old 06-16-2004 | 01:18 PM
I installed this kit (The Lighting Enterprizes kit) at 1500 miles on my 03 as preventative maintenance. I just checked it last weekend and everything is still clean. I just turned 8000 miles.

Old 06-16-2004 | 01:58 PM
I have a similar kit installed and no doubt it keeps the TB, rubber elbow, and intercooler clean. But I thought in other threads it was discovered that oil is still being dumped underneath the intercooler in the lower intake manifold valley (where you can't really see it unles you remove the intercooler) via another PCV hose. So while it has been cosmetically effective, and keeping the intercooler from becoming gunked up and losing efficiency, it's not doing anything about the oil being ingested into the cylinders and potentially leaning out the A/F, right?

Have there been any other updates or developments in this regard? Am I mistaken here?

Old 06-16-2004 | 06:16 PM
|
Rob, nice pics. I havent noticed a problem with mine, but at just getting ready to turn 6,000 miles, thought I'd do it for "preventive maintenance" as well.

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:05 PM
I bought this kit for my new to me 02 L about 2 weeks ago. I pulled the boot off just to check it last night and the boot and throttle body were clean. The kit says it won't stop all of the oil but I think it stops 97% of it and like kerno said, it's a simple install.

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:11 PM
No kit here. I have a stock 03 with 1,500 miles on it so maybe still to new, but everything I can inspect and see is absolutely oil free.

One way to “help” prevent the problem is to ONLY put 6qts of oil total, no more, no less. Don’t worry what the dip stick says, 6qts no matter where it reaches on the dip stick is the correct amount…

Old 06-16-2004 | 10:12 PM
Looks like I can buy that stuff at my local Autozone...right?

Old 06-17-2004 | 08:44 AM
Originally posted by BMWBig6
I have a similar kit installed and no doubt it keeps the TB, rubber elbow, and intercooler clean. But I thought in other threads it was discovered that oil is still being dumped underneath the intercooler in the lower intake manifold valley (where you can't really see it unles you remove the intercooler) via another PCV hose. So while it has been cosmetically effective, and keeping the intercooler from becoming gunked up and losing efficiency, it's not doing anything about the oil being ingested into the cylinders and potentially leaning out the A/F, right?

Have there been any other updates or developments in this regard? Am I mistaken here?
no, your right.

Old 06-17-2004 | 08:49 AM
Originally posted by CANTONRACER
Looks like I can buy that stuff at my local Autozone...right?
Well thats were I bought my "kit"
I removed the PCV system and installed a CV system...
3 breathers....

Old 06-17-2004 | 09:34 AM
After rebuilding my motor I decided to do something about the oil consumption myself. I made my own kit which uses a PCV valve on both sides with a breather. This allows the motor to pull crankcase pressure under normal driving conditions and shuts off under boost with the breather being the escape then. I haven't got enough miles behind it yet to find out if the breather is enough, but it did change the way my truck drives. One thing you have to do is make sure the PCV valves you use are going to work in the right direction.

Thanks Mike

Old 06-17-2004 | 06:15 PM
|
Mike.........

...........'did change the way your truck drives' - explain, please. What did you notice differently?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Lightning PCV Valve Kit