Lightning

How to reduce emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004 | 09:06 AM
|
How to reduce emissions?

The truck is called in for inspection, we belive that it has too high emissions value, so we need to lower it.

This is a fully built JLP truck (575 rwhp) including Stage 3 cams. Johnny ment it would be difficult to reduce the emissions because of the cams, but are there some tricks you guys know about?

Old 06-16-2004 | 04:59 PM
|
Anyone??? Please

Old 06-16-2004 | 05:04 PM
were this in the US i would say to just befriend an emissions tech but .. . talk to your tuner? Actually you can still try it, don't know exactly how feasible it is where you are.

Old 06-16-2004 | 05:15 PM
|
But can't one tune the chip so it doesn't let out so much? It will not run on that program for long, only a day.

Old 06-16-2004 | 05:20 PM
I'm no expert on the subject, especially since you are in Europe.

but I'd suggest finding out if the truck fails first. go ahead and let them do the test.

we have no way of knowing what types of emissions they are looking for.

you may be able to adjust the tune to help eliminate some certain types of emissions, but first you need to know what they are looking for, and if you indeed have too much.

I wouldn't take Johnny's word that the motor just isn't gonna pass. what does he know about emissions regulations in europe?

not a dig at Johnny, but seriously... think about it.

later,
chris

Old 06-16-2004 | 07:28 PM
have him put a tune on a flip chip that maybe runs the motor pretty lean, that way you can only run it when you need it inspected. it might help, just a thought

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:14 PM
If the test isn't too comprehensive, using just a tailpipe sniffer, you could pull out the rear 02 sensors and that would let more fresh air in making it read alot cleaner.

I don't know if that would work since vehicle certification in europe is usually far more comprehensive and covers a full inspection of all mechanical and safety components.

If florida ever starts emissions testing, you can just bribe someone in Miami to "pass" you no problem heehee.

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:20 PM
This was a big concern for me when I was modifying my Gen1.

I added aftermarket heads (stage 2 porting), converted to Mass air, added a E303 cam. I have Kook headers, dual Cats with working Airpump and dual Magnaflow mufflers like the Gen2s.

the problem usually occurs with NOX when we do modifications.

the first time I went through emissions since the new modifications, I had 42lb injectors and I have no power adder.
I thought the truck was way to rich, but when I looked at the results after my test, it passed everything (CO, HC, NOX)
They ran my truck on the Dyno at 25 mph.

Later I changed my Mass air to Pro M and went back to 24lb injectors and the truck tested in 02 and passed with cleaner results then it ever did before. I was scheduled to go again this year but we suspended our emission for a few months while they upgrade (again)
I think your tune is the trick, along with working emissions components.
Make sure the truck is at operating tempature.
They will look for CATS and ensure your CE light is not on.
good luck.

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:30 PM
Make sure the truck is as hot as possible! Drive around for 30 minutes or so to be sure. Then go straight to the smog station. Sometimes increasing the idle a little will make a difference. Skip

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:50 PM
retarding the timing gives your fuel more time to burn completely but I would think you need to have a program built while on a dyno.
Then get a 4 stage flip chip and have one position for the emissions test.

Not as easy as the old days of turning the distributor and leaning out the carb.

Long durration Cams can create problems to.

Good Luck!
Let us know the results

Quick Reply: How to reduce emissions?