Lightning

Modding, nitrous, A/F...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004 | 08:25 AM
|
Modding, nitrous, A/F...

Hey all,

Just found out a couple days ago that no dyno here in Hawaii monitors A/F while dynoing vehicles... So with my new mods on the way - mainly a 4lb pulley, and a nitrous kit waiting to be installed... Do I have any options here?

I want to run a safe tune, but without a way to check that the tune I get in the mail is safe...maybe I shouldn't even put the mods on. I don't want the way I check to see if I've got a safe tune to be making a pass at the drag strip.

"Well, I made it...must be good."

Do I have any options here, or am I SOL on modding until I get back to the mainland?

Thanks.

Thomas

Old 06-17-2004 | 09:15 AM
You can get an A/F ratio monitoring device like the wideband commander, and check it yourself, or using the Predator monitor the O2 voltages. The O2's won't tell you the exact A/F, but will tell you if you are dangerously lean or excessivly rich.

Old 06-17-2004 | 09:35 AM
The LM1 is a nice piece for a decent price. I have the FJO, which is a little more expensive. The LM1 is a little more bulky, the FJO hides away with a display.

An A/F meter is cheap insurance when running n20.

Old 06-17-2004 | 12:12 PM
Your Tune

If I were you, I'd install the Nitrous Oxide instead of the 4 lb pulley. Most Nitrous Oxide systems are designed specifically for your stock application that will not hurt your air/fuel. If you install the Nitrous, 4lb pulley and other mods, this will change your air/fuel. Just my opinion from using Nitrous on my stock Lightning before any mods. I use NX Nitrous system.

Old 06-17-2004 | 10:09 PM
|
Thanks for the replies... I guess I'll just get an A/F gauge, and trust the tune the tuner sends me... And hope for the best when I spray, with my fingers crossed.

Old 06-17-2004 | 10:59 PM
Re: Your Tune

Most (if not all) Nitrous Systems throw a ton of fuel at the motor, you have no problem there as Black Beast said. As for the 4lb'r, not such a big prob either, the main thing is TO NOT get a race program. If you use a good tuner and tell them it has to be tuned for regular street octane, keep the timing 16 degrees or under, and a rich A/F, you'd be fine and as safe as you can hope for with those Mods.

Quick Reply: Modding, nitrous, A/F...