Lightning

FTVB Install Completed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004 | 05:08 PM
|
FTVB Install Completed

Well today I finally got the nerve (I am no where near the mechanic I would like to be) to begin installing my FTVB on my 04. I was very concerned about making a mess in my garage so after reading all of the posts, decided to go with the new larger pan and just punch a whole in the old one. It worked out great, I didn't get any fluid on the concrete. I also spread out newspaper and cardboard to collect any drips.

I didn't have any luck finding an inch lb. torque wrench and couldn't wait any longer so I just adjusted my ft lber and went for it.

The instructions provided were excellent and I had no problems with the install. Everything went great. After torquing everything down to the specifications I filled her up with 7 quarts to start off with and went for a ride.

All I can say is Holy *****. This is how is should have come from the manufacturer! I keep reading that this is better for my transmission, but to be honest I have a hard time believing that right now, but what the hell, it's a lot more fun this way!!

Thanks to everyone here for answering my questions and encouraging me to go forward with the install. Special thanks to Greg and Tim for the emails and great product.

Spyder

Old 06-20-2004 | 06:21 PM
Where did you get the instructions?

Old 06-20-2004 | 06:35 PM
|
I ordered from Chickenears and the instructions were provided with the unit from Factory Tech.

Old 06-20-2004 | 07:17 PM
i installed mine last weekend on my stock 03..........noticed a lil change but not much. Hoping when i put the pulley and chip in next weekend it will liven up a bit.

Old 06-20-2004 | 07:58 PM
Re: FTVB Install Completed

Originally posted by Spyder207
I keep reading that this is better for my transmission, but to be honest I have a hard time believing that right now, but what the hell, it's a lot more fun this way!!
A shorter shift duration decreases the time that the clutches slip, reducing heat and clutch wear. The harder shift is not adjusted enough to be an issue with the transmissions hard parts or the rest of the drivetrain. A Factory Tech Accumulator will actually increase the life of your clutches and transmission.

Old 06-20-2004 | 10:33 PM
mine doesn't shift like i expected it to just a little quicker, wont bark the tires even with a 4 pounder.....hmmmm is there diffrerent models that provide firmer/softer shifts? why didn't ford want to increase the lifespan of the tranny and install these from the factory?

Old 06-20-2004 | 10:40 PM
I think most vehicles have long drawn out smooooth shifts for ride comfort. Of course the L is a performance vehicle so they should beef up the valve body from the factory. I don't know if they changed anything on the 04 but it shifts much harder than my 02 Harley D. edition did stock.

Old 06-20-2004 | 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Bryce_Thomason
why didn't ford want to increase the lifespan of the tranny and install these from the factory?
There was some concern that people who were familiar with the way most automatics shift (spongy) would think there was something wrong with the transmission and bring them in for warranty work, or at least I've been told. I once submitted the kit under Ford's CIRS system to sell, I got a reply that there was prolly no market for it. It could have been the Ford Performance Parts Valve Body, but they passed on it. Oh well.

G

Old 06-21-2004 | 04:59 PM
would a FTVB with the 4x4 pan and filter work well with the line mod valve? I am thinking it would

Old 06-21-2004 | 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BigSVT
would a FTVB with the 4x4 pan and filter work well with the line mod valve? I am thinking it would
No, you want one or the other. The line mod valve goes into your stock VB. If you take out your stock VB and put the FTVB in, the line mod valve would go with it. I am sure Greg will chime in and let you know why the FTVB is better than just a line mod valve replacement. I think it is because Greg replaces all the valves and springs in the VB and he matches them to all work together perfectly. With the Line mod valve you are only replacing one valve and the rest of the valves and springs are still stockers...I may be wrong but I think that is why they would not work together.

FTVB +4x4 pan and filter = best mod IMO

Old 06-21-2004 | 07:29 PM
|
Originally posted by RhinoHD
FTVB +4x4 pan and filter = best mod IMO
Definetely!

Old 06-21-2004 | 07:29 PM
Mine goes in on wed Cant Wait!

Quick Reply: FTVB Install Completed