Lightning

How to Remove "New Style" JDM Caged Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004 | 10:50 PM
Originally posted by BDAZSVT
I can't believe this thread is still open!!!!!!!!!
Why should it be closed? JDM is stepping up to the plate and defending itself. Grievances are being aired and responses are being lodged. That's what this thing called the Internet is supposed to be about.

It's kinda like movie stars complaining that they have no privacy -- you have to take the bad with the good. Use the Internet to promote your products and you also must accept that news of dissatisfied customers will come back to bite you (unless some financially interested party comes along and pulls the posts).

If I were running a BB, I would require my "supporting" (i.e., paying) vendors to do like Jim to answer my patrons' criticisms, not ignore them. It is the ethical thing to do.

Granted, some of the anti-JDM sniping can get a little excessive, but this many people could not have gotten mad for no reason. And the greater interests of the Lightning community demand that all voices (civilly expressed) be heard.

Jim: Thanks for being a man about it. Some may reject your responses, but at least you are in fact responding. With the exception of some cheap shots (however much deserved) at some of your detractors, coming here and facing the music does nothing but raise my respect for you.

Old 06-23-2004 | 10:58 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Lightbulb if you can't stand the heat.....

take Speeding Bob for example. He was out at World Ford Challenge and I helped him out with a chip reburn for free. He had also done things that disgraced the Lightning community. Prime example there was a picture of him on the internet giving the moderator of this website the finger with a big banner infront of his face saying F you Doug. I know for a fact that Doug has helped Bob out in situations but yet Bob still felt compelled to do this to Doug. Because of that Bob knows I feel he is not of the best character so every JDM post he adds to it.
Take me for example? Let's clarify a couple of things[list=1][*]Free chip reburn at World Ford Challenge? You are sadly mistaken. I didn't realize you burned Diablo chips at WFC5. [*]Once again, I did participate in a photo that I still regret. Doug helped me in the past, it is appreciated, and THAT is the reason for the regret and just so you (and everyone else) knows, I owned up to it like a man and he and I discussed the event for which I apologized. It was an error in judgement. Simple as that. Your calling me on my cell phone demanding that I call you didn't help but thanks for the concern. Remeber how your message wasn't returned. Silence speaks volumes. Think about it.[*]You have your opinion about me and I could care less. Having been around for going on four years, having good and bad experiences with various aftermarket concepts (to include every vendor), and sharing them with others will hopefully help them from traveling down the path of frustration. In the end, it is thier truck and their money. [/list=1]

You can spin this (pun intended) any way you want Jim. In a battle of wits, you are unarmed.

Cheers.

Bob

Last edited by Speedin Bob; 06-23-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2004 | 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Black 2000
What are you smoking Don?

Lets go over your list shall we?

. . .
Hmmmm... Seems a little harsh. While it may not exactly rise to the level of "thinking outside the box," Don's Bolt did say that JDM was "the first one to come out with . . ." That does not necessarily connote design and manufacture.

Let's not underestimate the value of seeing a product and targeting it to another un- or under-developed niche market. JDM certainly does not undercut the market in pricing. There is a reason why they sell so much stuff -- and it must be good marketing.

Old 06-23-2004 | 11:43 PM

Headers--- Kooks made and designed, but JDM did have exclusive rights to sell them, yet the first thousand or so had the coating bubble/come off and the converters were too close to the header outlet to survive.(yup, he was the first one to have a full system available, but it was not, and still isnt Emissions legal and its about 5 hundred more than the Dyanatech full system available.

Traction bars---- modified Rancho bars using front Rancho brackets and fabricated rear bracket. These bars have been used on many many 4x4 Ford F150's for years before JDM offered them.

Power Coolers---- you really think JDM came out with that? Kenne Bell had them on the SYclones and Typhoons long ago.

Tq Converters---- PI designed and made, JDM just sold them

Interchangeable pullies----- Metco, Acufab and the like did all the ground work and JDM just reboxed them. Just like the ds loop and other items.

Now lets talk about thinking out of the box. JLP and PSP designed and built their own air intake/ram/fast system, they didnt just bolt up a S&B filter to the MAF sensor. JLP also recently helped design the thundertube, the 100mm Thundertube, and the upper intake that is on JL's truck and is for sale as we speak. Lets not forget about Sal's nitrous plate or chikenears billet pieces or floormats....

Now, how is that for thinking out of the box?

I am in no way trying to take anything away from JDM 's ability to tune/work on a vehicle.

Later...

Bruce
Ouch!!!

I will let u all bicker again........
I am gonna kick back with a pepsi and some popcorn and watch this one unfold!!! :santa:

Old 06-23-2004 | 11:57 PM
Jim, there is no doubt that you are more than willing to help out Lightning owners. You have helped me countless times and I do appreciate it. However the pulley Graeme and I dealt with was total hell to remove. I spent the best part of a night removing the spindle and finally destroying the spindle mount. It belonged to Leonard so we called you to get a new one. You billed us for over $100 for the spindle just to have Leonard remove it again and destroy it in the same manner. Good thing you are going to Metco's pullies.

Party on

Last edited by red gen 1 94; 06-24-2004 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2004 | 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Hmmmm... Seems a little harsh. While it may not exactly rise to the level of "thinking outside the box," Don's Bolt did say that JDM was "the first one to come out with . . ." That does not necessarily connote design and manufacture.

Let's not underestimate the value of seeing a product and targeting it to another un- or under-developed niche market. JDM certainly does not undercut the market in pricing. There is a reason why they sell so much stuff -- and it must be good marketing.
I agree.

What I was debating was the "I dont see anyone else coming out with new product" or "JDM is the only one thinking outside the box" comment.

I think JL's 9.88 is "running way outside the box" dont ya think? Come on Jim, your almost a full second behind the competition, and Sal seems to be working on something really wicked, so where's the beef pal.

Later...

Bruce

Old 06-24-2004 | 12:47 AM
Its almost like a flashback.

Go back 24 months or more and the same cast of characters are going after each other.

I would hope that at some point some of you could agree to disagree and to move on....

Doug

Old 06-24-2004 | 01:07 AM

Old 06-24-2004 | 07:22 AM

Headers--- Kooks made and designed, but JDM did have exclusive rights to sell them, yet the first thousand or so had the coating bubble/come off and the converters were too close to the header outlet to survive.(yup, he was the first one to have a full system available, but it was not, and still isnt Emissions legal and its about 5 hundred more than the Dyanatech full system available.

Traction bars---- modified Rancho bars using front Rancho brackets and fabricated rear bracket. These bars have been used on many many 4x4 Ford F150's for years before JDM offered them.

Power Coolers---- you really think JDM came out with that? Kenne Bell had them on the SYclones and Typhoons long ago.

Tq Converters---- PI designed and made, JDM just sold them

Interchangeable pullies----- Metco, Acufab and the like did all the ground work and JDM just reboxed them. Just like the ds loop and other items.

Now lets talk about thinking out of the box. JLP and PSP designed and built their own air intake/ram/fast system, they didnt just bolt up a S&B filter to the MAF sensor. JLP also recently helped design the thundertube, the 100mm Thundertube, and the upper intake that is on JL's truck and is for sale as we speak. Lets not forget about Sal's nitrous plate or chikenears billet pieces or floormats....

Now, how is that for thinking out of the box?

I am in no way trying to take anything away from JDM 's ability to tune/work on a vehicle.

Later...

Bruce
what the hell you got stuck up your A$$

Jim worked with Kooks, sending his own truck up there, and making a few pics to get them to fit right. Yes it is true he didn't make them himself, but if he didn't work with them, we might not have headers for out trucks. As far as the Cats ya mine failed after 2.5 years, but I put leaded race fuel in my truck all the time, so it was my own fault.

The traction Bars are ranchos, but Jim was the first one to make them available for the Gen 2 Lightning

Jim was the first one to put a power cooler on a Gen 2 Lightning, he had on his 99

As far as the torque converter he went to precision industries and had them develope a TQ for our truck

As for the pulleys, so what if he had someone make them. At least he offers a atlernative to the cageless pulley for someone who wants a cage.

He may not be perfect as none of us are. He puts a lot of time and money into the Lightning comunity. He sponcers the truck class at FFW, he was the title sponcer for FFW Englishtown, and travels to all the events.

He also has a private track day at E Town every fall, where you can run on a preped track for free. I don't see any other vender doing things like that.

Old 06-24-2004 | 08:39 AM
Nothing is stuck up my A$$ Don. You were the one that made the blanket statement
I don't see any one else even trying to design there own products. So I give Jim a big thumbs up for thinking outside of the box.
and I was trying to point out that you were incorrect, thats all.

I give Jim alot of credit for doing the things he does, but you have to keep in mind that he isnt the only one coming up with new products or the only one thinking outside the box.

Why dont you give credit to others like Chikenears or Sal or JLP for the products that they have come up with? They like JDM may not make the products in house, but they had the idea and brought it to market.

I will give JDM credit for thinking outside the box and coming up with the "Boost Bypass Kit", and selling 80 cents worth of vacumm parts for 25 bucks, now thats impressive.

Later...

Bruce

Old 06-24-2004 | 09:12 AM
So now Jim admits the cats were no good. The fact that Carsounds will not stand behind them should be JDM's problem....not mine. I bought them from JDM. JDM should have to stand behind them. They (JDM) should have to fight Carsounds about it. If I build a sheet metal part (that's my business) for a customer and get it painted at the paint shop we use and then the paint falls off of it. If the paint shop says they will not stand behind their work I can't call my customer and tell them "sorry but the paint shop we used said to tell you to pound sand up your ***" The PO was with my company and I got paid. That means my company must make it right for my customer no matter what my supplier does. When we build a sheet metal part we may have to get the part plated, painted, and or silkscreened. My customer does not care about my problems with my vendors. He pays me for the part so those are MY problems. How do you get away with this Jim? I sent JDM the $1700.00 for the exhaust. JDM is responsible to make it right. Anything else is between JDM and it's suppliers. Someone explain to me how I'm looking at this wrong.

Unlike Don, I NEVER ran ledded fuel through my truck, or any race fuel at all. I've never even had my truck to the track (other than road courses).

Jerry

Old 06-24-2004 | 09:32 AM

Old 06-24-2004 | 09:46 AM
Originally posted by blown318
Chris,

It seems like you are always here with some Pepsi and Popcorn.....

Old 06-24-2004 | 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ShadowBolt
So now Jim admits the cats were no good. The fact that Carsounds will not stand behind them should be JDM's problem....not mine. I bought them from JDM. JDM should have to stand behind them. They (JDM) should have to fight Carsounds about it. I sent JDM the $1700.00 for the exhaust. JDM is responsible to make it right. Anything else is between JDM and it's suppliers. Someone explain to me how I'm looking at this wrong.
Did you recive a garuntee with your OFF ROAD ONLY racing parts?
most people I know don't expect one"when you play u pay"
[i]Unlike Don, I NEVER ran ledded fuel through my truck, or any race fuel at all. I've never even had my truck to the track (other than road courses).

Jerry [/B]
Road courses are longer & harder on it than 1/4 Mi. burst IMO

Old 06-24-2004 | 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
That's four of the eight. Where are you other four hiding?
hiding? I dont think so... besides what does it matter to you.. go away.

Quick Reply: How to Remove "New Style" JDM Caged Pulley?