Lightning

Summer is here so check you cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Summer is here so check you cooling system

I keep seeing posts asking about what kind of oil, trans fluid and rear end grease, but I never hear anything about the cooling system.

The reason I am making this post, is last week while stuck in traffic my temp went way up. It had never done this before so I started investigatin why this happened.

I first replaced the relays and circuit breakers on my electric fan. This didn't help so I decided it had to be in my radiator, since I can feel the thermostat opening at around 180 degrees. I am a little surprised I needed a radiator flush, since the coolant was last changed in April of 2003.

Well sunday night I drained the coolant and filled it back up with distilled water and radiator cleaner. The coolant didn't look that bad bud not a bright green like when it was new. I drove it all yesturday and drained it out last night. Man the stuff looked like crap all greenish brown. So I went and got anouther bottle of radiator cleaner, and refilled it with distilled water.

I drained it again tonight and while it looks a lot better it is still kinda gross looking.

Now I just have distilled water and water wetter in it. I am going to drive it a little bit tomorrow and before I do the final refill of coolant, dictilled water, and water wetter I am going to put a new thermostat in it also.

So I learned a lesson today, I normally change my own coolant and allways use distilled water. Last year I let someone else do the coolant change and what ever water they used must have been what caused my radiator to get all clogged up.

I noticed today after the 2nd flush, that the coolant temp is staying in the normal range and not spiking up when I put the AC on like it did last week.

So I think(hope) I have solved my problem. My fingers are still crossed.

Last edited by Don's Bolt; 06-22-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Don
Another great post!

Don't you use antifreeze? In addition to freeze protection it has inhibitors to reduce corrosion.

I know that anything other than water reduces cooling efficiency but it's not worth the trade off.

Even using distilled water there is oxogen that attackes the metals.

Sorry for the spelling again.

Also, is a good idea to clean bugs, debri, pollen out of the fins and remove the trim on top and get the build up out.

Just a helpful reminder, not preaching, you guys are the best.
Peace!

Old 06-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by EZGZ
Don
Another great post!

Don't you use antifreeze? In addition to freeze protection it has inhibitors to reduce corrosion.

I know that anything other than water reduces cooling efficiency but it's not worth the trade off.

Even using distilled water there is oxogen that attackes the metals.

Ya I will run about 40% antifreeze and the rest distilled water, and one botter of water wetter. The straight water I am running now is just for a day or two till I get all the crud out.

Thank god walgreen is having a special on distilled water 59 cents a gallon. My radiator will never get any tap water in it again.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Coooooool !! (pun intendid)

Old 06-23-2004, 02:30 AM
What do you mean "Summer is here"... My AC stays on YEAR ROUND!!!!

My radiator fluid has never been changed.. Except for what came out when I did the E Fan mod.

<--- me under truck dodging radiator fluid when trying to put the temp probe in.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 AM
TG mine's still looking nice and dark green

Good Post, + Good Luck Don,
Hope thats the problem ?

Quick Reply: Summer is here so check you cooling system