Lightning

Got the L back today.. just not the 01

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004 | 11:33 PM
|
Got the L back today.. just not the 01

So as some of you may have read earlier, got the L back after blowing a plug, then started hearing strange noises, and well yesterday the check engine light came on. turns out when they installed the new head they ran a vaccum line the wrong way and the EGR tube melted it.. So basically we said you can have the truck back, give us somethin else. (sorry guys couldn't scrounge a pic of the 4ish/6ish drop and 22s) So now i just picked up my 00 silver L with 25k miles, chrome factory wheels. I'm not a huge fan of the chrome factory wheels, and am considering getting a set of 01-02s and having them powdercoated gunmetal. anyway this one is a very nice looking truck. too bad its noticeably slower in throttle response than the 01 but i'm still very pleased.

Old 06-24-2004 | 11:59 PM
Birdy I've been following your story,
Dam that sucks, but hey CONGRATS on ANOTHER new used L

The 99/00 have lower gears, a smaller MAF, 20 less HP, and unfortunatly are the troubled years for the intercooler, DO YOU KNOW IF IT'S BEEN CHANGED ?

NOTHING TO SCARE YOU ABOUT. They are as awesome as any, I'm just pointing out the diff's and why it felt slower. Actually they are also (or at least the 99's are) the better rods and seem to hold up A LOT better than my year rods, (02).

A MAF is an easy switch, the gears may not be a big deal depending on your plans for it, AMOF eventually when you get too fast for the 1/4, you need those gears anyway. You'll get the same results we all do, with the filter chip n pulley Mod, but the MAF is a Mod you should consider adding, especially if you want to go to a cool air box such as a JLP

BEST OF LUCK BRO

LET THE FUN BEGIN............................

Old 06-25-2004 | 12:44 AM
dude ronbo, isn't there timing differences!!?

Old 06-25-2004 | 01:31 AM
|
i was aware of the maf, not of the gears though. can the 20hp be made up with just the maf? i really am in a position where i dont want to void the warranty right now. i want to mod it, but being just out of high school (L was grad pressent with me helping on payments) and not having a lot of money in case soethin else breaks.. i also have to drive it to indiana (from oregon) next year. so i really don't know. anyway, take it easy.
Jon

Old 06-25-2004 | 02:40 AM
Jon... Where are you going to school?

Old 06-25-2004 | 06:27 AM
Jon,

Best of luck Buddy, YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT
There's no law that says you have to Mod it,
ALTHOUGH THERE SHOULD BE
I kind of wish I had the 99 w/ better rods, the only issue
that would bother me, is if the I/C's been changed.
You just may want to call and ask if the Inter-Cooler's been changed on that Lightning. There was a recall, and it is a big deal if you get stuck footing the bill some day. BTW, What type of Wrrnty did you get ?

99/00 = 3.55 Gears, and a 80MM MAF
01/04 = 3.73 Gears, and a 90MM MAF
(and 02's LOVE TIMING) @ Unoid

Some great info here on Mod's in general

http://www.superchargedtrucks.com/faq1/faq.htm

Old 06-25-2004 | 08:42 AM
Jon,
Just drive it like ya stole it and keep smilling.
To bad you couldn't have swapped wheels from the other truck.

I have the 99 and am happy as can be. Have even gotten 17MPG with the smaller MAF, taller gears and tall tires with a very light foot and the cruise control on. " BORRING LONG ROAD TRIP"

ENJOY!

Quick Reply: Got the L back today.. just not the 01