Lightning

Wide Band Commander Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004 | 11:28 PM
|
Wide Band Commander Install Question

I've installed my Wide Band Commander and everything works great except for one thing. I am not showing RPM when viewing with the software.

I have the orange wire (WBC) attached to the Red wire with Green tracer that connects to the #8 coil pack. The sensitivity is set High and the Divisor to 1 in the software. Has anyone else had this problem.

The TPS works great. I found the best place to connect for it is the wiring harness that plugs to the PCM on the passenger side firewall. I snaked the wire through the cowling conduit passage at the top of the firewall with a coat hanger. I disconnected the negative terminal to the battery and loosen the 10mm bolt that holds the harness plug to the PCM and pulled it up to get to the wires. I found the Gray wire with the White tracer and tapped off of it. I reattached the harness plug and tightened the 10mm bolt. I reconnected the battery and the TPS display worked as advertised.

Now if I could just get the RPM's to show. Well, back to troubleshooting.

Old 06-29-2004 | 12:24 AM
|
Well, I checked continuity between the coil pack wire and the crimped on connector on the orange wire. This way it had to go through the T- connector and all. Everything was fine there.

I then stripped back the orange wire on either side of the plug connector next to the WBC box. It checked good so that connection is ok.

I'm running out of ideas.

Old 06-29-2004 | 12:45 AM
You might need a DIS tach adapter (MSD sells one for about $45) for the correct signal for the wideband commander to work. I dont have one myself but just a thought.

Old 06-29-2004 | 11:14 AM
It sounds like you are good on the physical connection. I had some issues with not pushing the quick disconnect fitting onto the T-tap far enough,. You really have to push that thing in pretty hard. I had to play with the settings in the software a few times before it started showing the rpm's. It was kinda odd. I put the sensitivity to high, and the divisor to 1, saved, and it did nothing. I then moved the divisor around a few times, saving each time, and it started to pick up signal. I then moved the divisor back to 1, and everything was happy. Hope that helps.

-Nate

Old 06-29-2004 | 05:47 PM
|
Old 06-29-2004 | 06:55 PM
Hey LTNBOLT,

I was thinking some more about this, and I think that I used the non red/green wire on the #8 coil pack (negative lead). I'm at work right now, and my L is at home. I'll let you know which wire it was for sure as soon as I get home.

-Nate

Old 06-29-2004 | 08:24 PM
Yeah, you tapped the wrong wire on the coil pack. On my 02, the wire I tapped was the white/red wire on the #8 coil pack. This is the negative coil lead for that cylinder. All of the coil packs have a red/green positive lead and one other wire (the color is different for each cylinder) that's the negative coil wire which gets switched by the ECU when it needs to fire. You need to tap into the negative wire for the WBC to read the RPM.

-Nate

Old 06-29-2004 | 09:06 PM
|
Thanks for the info. Now it won't communicate at all with the software and the gauge quit working properly.

Old 06-29-2004 | 10:29 PM
|
Apparently the PCM must be supplying the ground because it's not real clear in the the wiring diagram. It's tied to ground on the Red / Light Green stripe (RD/LG) side with 2 capacitors for radio noise which is not a ground. On the PCM side of the #8 coil is the White / Red stripe (WH/RD). This makes sense because the PCM would probably not send out any voltage over 5 volts.

Here is a pic of the wiring diagram. Right click on the pic after you open it and chose (Zoom In) so you can see it better.

Coil Pack Wiring

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 08-07-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:35 PM
Originally posted by LTNBOLT
Thanks for the info. Now it won't communicate at all with the software and the gauge quit working properly.
Mine was doing the same thing on my initial install. I had to go out of town so I didn't have time to troubleshoot right then. When I got back first thing I did was use a voltmeter on all my connections, and everything seemed fine. After I plugged everything back into the commander it worked perfectly, so the only thing I can think of was a loose connection.

If I can remember correctly I think I had RPM and TPS, but no A/F in the software when it wasn't communicating. Do you have any reading with the software now?

Old 07-08-2004 | 02:20 AM
|
UPDATE:

I got my new WBC control box back from Dynojet and hooked it up. Everything worked fine except the RPM just like the first one. I then moved the wire tap for the #8 coil pack over to the White wire with the Red stripe (PCM side) and it worked perfect.

I don't know if running it on the wrong wire caused it to go bad or not. If you don't get a signal within a couple of times of changing the Device Settings then move it to the other wire.

I hooked it to the #8 coil pack (last one on the drivers side) which will give you the cleanest install by running the least amount of wire over the engine. The White wire with the Red stripe is the one your looking for.

Old 05-11-2007 | 05:44 PM
crap

wish i read this earlier. Spent 2 hours trying ti figure this out. DYNOJET says connect to the smaller wire..........it's didn't work.

Guage still working. Gonna clip it and fix it tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:19 PM
|
I feel your pain. I posted that back in the day to save everybody the aggravation that I went through.

Old 05-12-2007 | 06:26 PM
yeah

i've had my wide band for a couple years now, but never hooked up anything for data logging. I was actually surprised i could find the cables. Right where i left them. That usually doesn't happen. Someone usually puts their hands on something.

Quick Reply: Wide Band Commander Install Question