Lightning

how much of a risk am i taking?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004 | 08:37 AM
It comes down to conditions and also the KB does not have the pull out of the hole at low boost.

For instance, I have a customer running a KB with a 6# lower and a 3.5 upper. He went with the 30" Hoosiers because he will be turning it up after the built motor. His 60fts are suffering. I am going to up the boost some but still on the safe side. Right now he is only running 10psi with a peak of 14psi.

Old 07-07-2004 | 11:37 AM
Dale-01 and Mister Gadget

I am the first to admit that I am a beginner when it comes to racing so I am definitely open minded about tunes and so forth.

I am only refering to 4 runs down the track. With both Tommy and John at the helm looking at my tune and giving advice.

You are right in Bradenton we were high eighties and humid. My 60 foots sucked with a 1.78 to 1.80 in the four runs I took. I just couldn't get off that line, although I wasn't spinning (except my last run) with the Hoosiers and 58" traction bars.

Tommy said there was nothing in my tune, totally safe and he could retune to get me there. He mentioned that my tuner doesn't put anything into the file before 3000 rpms - one of our obvious strengths. (Thus my thinking that the safe tune is preventing me from getting there).

John took a look at another file for me on my last run, but again took it really safe and I did the 12.2 - his comments were focussed on getting a 2400 stall if I wanted to keep my tune safe.

Your confidence in the fact I should be there makes me question is there something wrong?

All a great exchange, thanks!

D-Day

Last edited by Dan_03Lightning; 07-07-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2004 | 12:36 PM
Dan,

It might be something as simple as driving style.

how are you launching the truck? I would brake torque it alot and come storming out of the hole. After 1st gear you never see less than 3k rpm so it doesnt matter anyway.

Willie F's tune, although safe, is still a performance tune that should let you see easy 11's, even without any weight reduction.

Try it again on a cool day. You should see an 11 no problem.

Old 07-07-2004 | 02:27 PM
Gadget, yeah I do the same - brake torque at about 1500 and then hammer it. In fact before the 58" traction bars I was breaking the Hoosiers at the line (mind you that was Immokolee) and again in our wonderful 90+ degree humid weather.

Thanks for the advice!

D-Day

Old 07-08-2004 | 12:33 AM
Immokalee is poopy.

I went there once, only decent pass I made was my first one, since I made the first pass on the track after they opened the gates.

After that all the stupid rednecks drove straight through the water box and left water all over the starting line and messed it up. Stupid motherf@%$#$. One wheel burnout in your '87 cherokee and dragging water allover the line while the passenger bangs on the door the whole way down the track is not cool.

Drive up to gainesville, I'm moving there in august for school, we'll make a few passes. It's the best track in the state!

Quick Reply: how much of a risk am i taking?????