Lightning

Is it worth it to just replace the rods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004 | 10:01 PM
Goat, I have a pretty strong back ground in automotive engines. So it was pretty simple. I notice your located in Virginia Beach, I suggest you looking into Steen Racing, Ed Clark and Jason Steen are knowledgable in Mod Motors and will help you out alot. Their prices are very competitive and like I said a mod motor is a mod motor.

Last edited by BigFan; 07-07-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2004 | 12:36 AM
Re: Re: agreed

Originally posted by BigFan
As far as the 50% that toast a Piston, you are correct a built bottom end isnt going to help prevent that, a tuner you have a relationship and trust will prevent that. Now lets speak about the 50% that vent there block, it is always rod failure. The Pistons on these motors are very good and well designed. Back in the day people were actually building 4.6 Cobra and GT race blocks with them. The Pistons were a cheaper alternative to JE/Ross and they never failed besides being burned due to a poor tune. Ive looked into the idea of just replacing the rods and rebalancing the assembly but have been to lazy. The thing that backs my opinion is who here has seen a Rod Pin rip out of a piston ? Who has seen a piston skirt break ? I personally havent and even if it does break, 50% of the cost is worth the risk in my opinion.
Ive put just rods in before on a GenII. for less than the cost of a short block! This truck is raced quite often and has not had problem one! This truck has over 500rwhp 600rwtq! I myself have seen quite a few ventalated blocks! I have to agree with Big! the common failier is with the rods! and usually the big and little ends are intact. The piston gets destroyed after it shoots into the lower crank case and the crank smashes it!
To me its a worth while mod.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Dunn; 07-08-2004 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2004 | 07:48 AM
Originally posted by BigFan
Goat, I have a pretty strong back ground in automotive engines. So it was pretty simple. I notice your located in Virginia Beach, I suggest you looking into Steen Racing, Ed Clark and Jason Steen are knowledgable in Mod Motors and will help you out alot. Their prices are very competitive and like I said a mod motor is a mod motor.
ya ed clark is my tuner. I just wanted to see if I could do it myself over the winter and stay some labor fees.

Old 07-08-2004 | 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally posted by TheGoaT
so your bottom end rebuild kit is $2000? What comes in the kit?
Its a couple hundred bucks cheap actually. But it comes with....

Manley H beam Rods
Manley STD or Probe .20+ or .30+ Pistons
New Oil Pump
Plasma Moly Rings
ARP Main Studs
Wrist Pins
Bearings

Its really worth it to get this kit especially if you have a good engine builder in town or near by. If you dont have a engine builder or one worth trusting your truck with we have fully assembled short blocks ready to leave today.

JimIII

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to just replace the rods?