Lightning

The heads on an 01

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004 | 07:52 PM
|
Question The heads on an 01

I am new to the forum, and just got an 01 L. I have heard that the heads had a flaw with the spark plug treads, at least the lack their of. I thought I would ask everyones thought about them. Should I replace them before I start pushing it with bolt ons and things of that sort?

Old 07-07-2004 | 08:02 PM
Hello and Welcome
Glad to have ya.

Some folks have had problems and you know how bad new travels fast.

The trick is to check them periodicaly and make sure there tight.

Just enjoy your truck. You will love it. Do the mods you want and address the head problem if and when it comes up.

There is a ton of information to be had here and the archives are full of great info.

How many miles are on your truck and how long have you had it?
What do you like the most?
Later
Greg

Old 07-07-2004 | 08:56 PM
|
I got the truck with 42,700 and I now have 44,000, so it is kinda high mileage, but that is okay I love the truck. it is fast and I am seeing that there are so many things to do to the truck I have no idea where to start. I am in Tampa and have see a few srt 10's around but with a stock truck I don't want to disgrace the L. So I would like to be able to smoke an SRT 10. So if any one has suggestions on what to do firts let me know.

Kevin

Old 07-07-2004 | 09:20 PM
I am sure more guys will chime in but the popular mods are

flip chip or predetor
Cold air intake
Pulley change
traction bars
exhaust isn't needed but does add a pleasant sound

It really depends on you and what you want and can afford.

I wouldn't get in a real big hurry. Just drive it and enjoy it and study these boards.
Take your time and that way you can be sure of what you want and what works.
Let that wonderfull feeling you have right now fade away and then pick a mod you can build on and enjoy that for a while.

If you jump to deep you will make mistakes get bored and be broke. (money and truck)

Good luck
A radar detector might be a good idea

Old 07-07-2004 | 09:39 PM
|
yeah I got a radar detector already. oh and I have only had it for 3 weeks. I know that stock boost is 8 psi, when I get on it the boost gauge reads past 10 psi. could this be true.

Old 07-07-2004 | 10:15 PM
Hey, welcome aboard and enjoy this trip of information galore. You said that your boost gauge is reading over 10 lbs of boost which might indicate that the previous owner might have already started your mods for you. Did you check your upper pulley to see if it is a smaller diameter than stock? My stock pulley measured on the outside is 3 3/16". A #2 upper pulley should measure under that measurement, around 2 15/16" which would give you 2lbs of boost extra. My truck is currently stock with a K&N flat filter and cat-back and is showing just under 10lbs at wot. You might also have a chip or K&N flat filter, all these will add extra boost so check your L very carefully, you might be surprised to find something the former owner had installed. BTW, have fun with your new truck.

Old 07-07-2004 | 10:37 PM
Originally posted by weimkl
yeah I got a radar detector already. oh and I have only had it for 3 weeks. I know that stock boost is 8 psi, when I get on it the boost gauge reads past 10 psi. could this be true.
Don't trust the stock guage, it isn't the most accurate, did the previous owner do any mods. Take a picture of the lower pulley and we will be able to tell you if it is stock or not.

Old 07-08-2004 | 05:31 PM
|
I went out and looked at my pulleys and they seem to be stock. the lower has ford all over the front, so I take it as it is the stock one. So I have another question when I start with add ons which is better chip or diablo.

Kevin

Quick Reply: The heads on an 01