Lightning

Is a predator tune worthwhile on a stock truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004 | 07:42 AM
|
Is a predator tune worthwhile on a stock truck?

Just because I have to get back and forth to work everyday in it and would just as soon keep my warranty intact - I was wondering if there is any power to be gained on a stock engine with a pedator/dyno tune - or some type of OBDII port programmer? I don't remember anyone discussing this before.

Old 07-10-2004 | 08:44 AM
You bet. With a good tune,
Approx. 25 to 30 RWHP.

-Rich

Old 07-10-2004 | 09:31 AM
It most definitely is worth your money on a relatively stock or bone stock truck. Don't know if you know this or not, but, do not install the "Performance Tune" that comes with the Predator. I did this and had pretty bad detonation at the track. It will give you a noticeable difference in power when you get on it the first time and will have you grinning. Once you buy the Predator, (make sure you buy from someone who is reputable and knows a thing or two on how to program "custom tunes." For example, James from RWTD.) After I had the detonation, I e-mailed James and he made me a custom tune for the very small list of mods I have on my truck, and presto, no detonation.

Old 07-10-2004 | 11:00 AM
How does the data logging feature work?

I just want to increase my timing for the 5,000 to 10,000 ft colorado altitude.

Move the overdrive shift from 40 to 50 MPH.

Shorten the torque reduction from .4 to .2

I do not want to extend stock shift point or max RPM.

Do I understand correctly that when you buy it it comes with 2 tunes that you can make small adjustment to yourself?

Not trying to steal your thread. Just trying to gather more info on the same subject.
Thx

Old 07-10-2004 | 11:15 AM
Originally posted by EZGZ
How does the data logging feature work?

I just want to increase my timing for the 5,000 to 10,000 ft colorado altitude.

Move the overdrive shift from 40 to 50 MPH.

Shorten the torque reduction from .4 to .2

I do not want to extend stock shift point or max RPM.

Do I understand correctly that when you buy it it comes with 2 tunes that you can make small adjustment to yourself?

Not trying to steal your thread. Just trying to gather more info on the same subject.
Thx
EZGZ, I think you replied to my post? I'm no expert by any means, just know from experience what I've done with my truck.
1) Not sure how the data logging feature works, never tried it.
2) You can adjust the timing, but not very much. For the altitude you drive in and to get the desired amount of timing, you'll probably need a custom tune.
3) Moving the shift points, as in overdrive or whatever gear to gear change you want to make is pretty easy with the Predator. Again, from my experience these are pretty small adjustments.
4) Torque reduction: Not sure
5) It comes with 2 tunes, the "Performance Tune" for stock or relatively un-modded trucks, and the "Pulley Tune" for trucks with pulleys added. You can make small adjustments to each, but those small amounts of adjustments are probably not enough to get rid of, for example, detonation. i.e. through timing adjustments.

Old 07-10-2004 | 01:20 PM
|
Great - thanks for the responses!

Old 07-10-2004 | 10:11 PM
|
Rkoenig - Who is James from RWTD? Sounds like if you order a predator from him and give him the particulars of your mostly stock truck he can provide a custom tune with it that is safer/better than the stock one provided? Not many tuners around here that I know of. We have a Street Performance shop with a dyno, which is a chain I think.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2004 | 12:06 AM
What all are the usual mods people do with something like a Predator? Just a pulley and CAI?

Old 07-11-2004 | 12:59 AM
Well, to make a long story less long. The sky is the limit on usual mods.

The crux of it all is to have a safe tune for your truck not matter what mods you choose.

The predator allows you to plug into the diagnostic port and make changes to your timing or shift points and max rpm etc.
you have to upload the stock program and then down load the performance program. It isn't as easy to switch programs like a flip chip but you can make small changes the way I understand it.

The other alternative is a chip. This plugs in and becomes part of your computer. You can get up to 4 different tunes with the flip of a switch but it can create warranty issues etc.

I had a two position flip chip and enjoyed it for a while but as time went on I found I mostly left it in the stock position. There just seems to be a cop on every corner as soon as I flipped to race mode

Does that answer your question?
There a lot more to it but just keep watching the board and you will learn much.

Quick Reply: Is a predator tune worthwhile on a stock truck?