Lightning

Break in oil is scary

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004 | 03:10 PM
I bought a new 99 Lightning crate engine in 2000

When I took it apart, the unused oil in it was green as can be. Looked more like antifreeze than oil.

NTIMD8 - Many manufacturers of more exotic vehicles use synthetic oil straight from the factory. Chevrolet has done it on every one of their Corvettes for more than 10 years.

Lightning Bob

Old 07-16-2004 | 02:21 AM
Originally posted by NTIMD8
Synthetic on a motor with that little miles on it is a no no. I am surprised to read Ford uses synthetic (even a blend) from the factory.
Do you know this or are you repeating what youve heard ? Z06's,911,Ferrari's,Lotus,Lamborgini and many other high end vehicles come stock with synthetic oil, I cant believe they would be doing the wrong thing.

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:25 AM
Originally posted by BigFan
Do you know this or are you repeating what youve heard ? Z06's,911,Ferrari's,Lotus,Lamborgini and many other high end vehicles come stock with synthetic oil, I cant believe they would be doing the wrong thing.
I have no experience with a motor failing due to using synthetic right from the get go. The reason I say it is because thats what I have been hearing multiple engine builders say for years. We deal with a lot of Stroker motors (mostly GM's) and crate motors and all the builders we deal with say for proper break in, not to use Synthetic for the first couple of oil changes. So ya it's just "what I heard"

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:40 AM
Originally posted by NTIMD8
I have no experience with a motor failing due to using synthetic right from the get go. The reason I say it is because thats what I have been hearing multiple engine builders say for years. We deal with a lot of Stroker motors (mostly GM's) and crate motors and all the builders we deal with say for proper break in, not to use Synthetic for the first couple of oil changes. So ya it's just "what I heard"
Thanks and believe it or not I wasnt being a smart azz.

Check you email

Quick Reply: Break in oil is scary