Lightning

Break in oil is scary

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004 | 08:37 PM
|
Break in oil is scary

500 miles on the clock so I dumped it and the filter for 6 fresh Motocraft 5w-20w synthetic blend and the stock motorcraft filter.

Yuk, that break in oil was army green and thin as water!!!

What the heck do they use for break in oil?

Old 07-10-2004 | 08:55 PM
Re: Break in oil is scary

Originally posted by EZGZ

Yuk, that break in oil was army green and thin as water!!!

What the heck do they use for break in oil?
Motocraft 5w-20w synthetic blend is what they use from the factory, your oil sounds funky I would save a sample and take it to the dealer.

Old 07-10-2004 | 09:31 PM
"Yuk, that break in oil was army green and thin as water!!!"

That's interesting....I changed at 500 miles too and it looked totally normal.

Old 07-10-2004 | 09:39 PM
|
I am saving the filter in a zip lock freezer bag just in case.

Might be a few ounce left in there. I am not going to worry about it. there was no water and it felt good to the touch. No unusual smell.

Probably felt so thin cause it was hot.

I asked the counter guy at the ford dealer who made Motocraft oil and he thought it was conoco.

Anybody know for sure?

My guess is it would be valvoline or somebody big?

Old 07-10-2004 | 10:05 PM
I was told by my engine builder to NOT RUN synthetic oil untill after the break in!

Reason being, the synthetic would not allow the rings to properly seat.

Once I completed 2 or 3 oil changes then I copuld use synthetic oil.

I will check with our dyno engineer here in the plant next week and I will post there response.

Suavy

Old 07-10-2004 | 10:21 PM
What year is your Lightning? Mine is a 2003 and my oil looked basically like what you’re describing. My understanding is it comes with some kind of break in oil. I changed mine at 500 as well.

I changed it again at 1,000 and 1,500 and have not had any problems.

Old 07-10-2004 | 10:39 PM
When you buy the Motocraft 5w20 oil it looks like that army green...Could be some dye that Ford uses to tell right away if your using the right oil for warranty purposes...Weird color...

Old 07-10-2004 | 11:20 PM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
When you buy the Motocraft 5w20 oil it looks like that army green...Could be some dye that Ford uses to tell right away if your using the right oil for warranty purposes...Weird color...
I understand what you saying but this oil is not the same as the Motorcraft 5W-20. I used the Motorcraft 5W-20 for the oil and filter change at 500 and 1,000 miles.

I think you might be on to something about the dye. Perhaps it is a dye to see if there are any oil leaks prior to the first oil change?

I felt the oil coming out the first time and it seemed to feel a bit gritty, hard to explain but like there is something added to it to assist in the break in. My other oil changes with the Motorcraft felt fine, and looked as new as when it went in. Should have since it only had about 500 miles on it.

Old 07-10-2004 | 11:51 PM
|
Suavy
Not to worry. I just used the synthetic blend which is not the full synthetic.

I will make the upgrade down the road.

Interesting idea about the DYE that would be a good trick.
It was definitley off color. The new stuff was a nice Golden color like a good blended wiskey

XLT sport.
This one is a new 04.
I traded in a Black 99 with 39K miles for her.
I really love these trucks and it seems like they may have most of the main issues finaly worked out. Hahahaha (its always a gamble) But I think if they make to many changes on the 06 there will be another learning curve. Plus nobody knows for sure what the finaly outcome will be. (or they can't say)

Old 07-15-2004 | 12:02 AM
Green means it's still somewhat clean, since that's the color out of the bottle. I'd rather it be green, then black.

Old 07-15-2004 | 12:57 AM
I have seen A LOT of Motorcraft 5W20 oil both new and used and NEVER seen it look green to my eyes...

I've also owned two new Lightnings and done the first oil changes on quite a few more and still have NEVER seen green oil.

I think you're all crazy.... St.Patricks day is still a long way off.

later,
chris

Old 07-15-2004 | 07:55 AM
Originally posted by superfords
I have seen A LOT of Motorcraft 5W20 oil both new and used and NEVER seen it look green to my eyes...

I've also owned two new Lightnings and done the first oil changes on quite a few more and still have NEVER seen green oil.

I think you're all crazy.... St.Patricks day is still a long way off.

later,
chris
I've changed mine twice, both times, green. We're talking a dark brownish-green, not antifreeze green. To the first poster, I wouldn't worry, it just means you haven't had it in there long enough to turn completely black.

Old 07-15-2004 | 08:35 AM
|
I was talking to our Fleet mechanics about thoil today and they said they see different colors depending on where they buy there rebuilt long and short blocks from.

There thought was that it was from the assembly lube they smear on everything.
They said they have seen redish color and milky look from what they thought was lubriplate.

Kinda makes sense when you think about it.

I took my L back over to the shop after work. These two mechanics are motorheads who like them chebies. They work the swing shift so we took a little dinner break and I let them drive my truck one at a time. One of them headed straight for the empty company parking lot and says, sure is plenty of room? Can I? I said sure and let him burn a nice figure 8 in the lot. HEHEHEHE
Lets just say by the time I left them to fella's had a grin from ear to ear and a lot more respect for our beloved Lightnings.

I am going by there this morning to have another look.
Dang! I gotta get me a camera soon!!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2004 | 11:17 AM
I changed mine at 600 miles and it was black. Coal black. I was shocked to say the least.

The mobil 1 keeps it very clean now-a-days.

Rich

Old 07-15-2004 | 11:39 AM
Synthetic on a motor with that little miles on it is a no no. I am surprised to read Ford uses synthetic (even a blend) from the factory.

Quick Reply: Break in oil is scary