is 488 with the Magnum or the KB?

Old 07-25-2004 | 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 8UR LS1
is 488 with the Magnum or the KB?
Apten ported Eaton, 6lb lower and a 1lb upper

Waiting for the built bottom end, cams before I go with another blower

Old 07-25-2004 | 03:25 PM
Here's my personal opinion:

I have the first production MP sold by JDM. Several thousand miles on it and several track passes. It's great. JDM never said anything to me about it being better than a KB. I just wanted something at a reasonable cost, efficient, powerful, and with a solid customer service, i got all four. Truck ran 11's in high heat/humidity with stock block. Just what i asked for...

I believe that if you took TWO trucks modded out, one with a KB and one with a MP and let's say as comparable tunes and other suspension issues, etc as close to the same as possible you would find: The KB is gonna be around 2 tenths quicker under most conditions which means if you aren't Vinny, Don, Rob02, or Gator, then you may just get surprised by a driver with more experience. I'll accept the odds keeping in mind that 2 tenths is a bunch when running quick. The Magnum Powers has something that nothing else i've seen or heard has: REAL SOUND, it has an incredible whine to it!!!!!! on the street and track...

End of personal opinion...next up...

Old 07-26-2004 | 09:53 PM
Originally posted by JohnFastruk
The Magnum Powers has something that nothing else i've seen or heard has: REAL SOUND, it has an incredible whine to it!!!!!!
The MP is the coolest sounding blower that I ever heard.

When I first heard John's truck on the dyno, I said to myself: "I got to get me one of them!"
Two weeks later it was done.

It's true...
I bought the blower because I liked the way it sounds.

FF

Old 07-27-2004 | 01:11 AM
the whine on my magnum is so loud it can dround out my high flow cat exhaust

the boost has more staying power then i expected

i'm sure the kb does also

but with the money i saved i bought a throttle body and long tube headers

Old 07-27-2004 | 10:02 AM
The whine on the Kenne Bell is pretty loud too. I know I ran the same day at Fun Ford with JDM Driving Johnfastruck's truck. He only got me by less than .3 And There is alot more done to his truck then mine. Plus he is over 20#'s of boost to my 15#'s. The rest of my truck is pretty stock. I believe his truck has a Throttle body, Full exhaust, Slicks, Converter, and race gas. All of which are stock on my truck. And I am by no means an experienced driver, that was only my second time at the track. I'm not talking down on johns truck at all, I like it and him very much. I just Don't think the Magnum is as great a bargain as you might think. I would just be afraid to run the amount of boost everyday that it seems to take to get the power out of the magnum. I know John told me he runs a race gas mix all the time. Not something I think most people want to do with a daily driver. But I have only been around 2 MP blowers so maybe I'm way off in my assumptions. Just trying to add some input.

Last edited by 2bscrewed; 07-27-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2004 | 11:04 AM
wkuper11

Great numbers for your mod level.
I too bought the MP because it will do what I want it to do for less cost. I do have a built block, and most other mods, but I have no intentions of putting a cage in my truck. The track I normally race at is IHRA sanctioned, so I can go 11.50 without a cage. Sunday, I ran an 11.585, an 11.633, and an 11.650 in mid 70 degree temps with my 8# lower, race fuel & tune @4750#'s. By switching to a 4# lower & street tune, my truck will run about 12.0 flat which is perfect for the NHRA tracks I attend, and where many of the FFW's are held. I'm very happy with the results I've gotten and believe theres much more performance potential in my present setup than I've gotten so far.
I totally agree with JohnFastruk and SILVERLIGHTNING about the WHINE from the MP. I get comments on that all of the time from other racers, my wife, my neighbors, etc. Definately adds to the COOL factor.

Lightning Bob
02 True Blue
JDM Equipped and Tuned

Old 07-27-2004 | 11:42 AM
Im not trying to jack this thread, but if anyone has an Apten ported Eaton, Im looking to buy one. I put this in the Classifieds and thought Iwould work it into this. Let me know if you have anything. ixcler8@hotmail.com

Old 07-27-2004 | 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
so far 488rwhp on 93 gas

Do you still run the stock heads, Gator?

Old 07-27-2004 | 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 2bscrewed
I know John told me he runs a race gas mix all the time. Not something I think most people want to do with a daily driver. But I have only been around 2 MP blowers so maybe I'm way off in my assumptions. Just trying to add some input.
Here's some imput from Sunday's trip to the track...

Atco had no 104 in stock

So I ran the StreetRace program on pump gas. I didn't fully cool the motor, or strip the Lightning. The result was 12.3@109.
In cool weather this truck will see 11s on pump gas.

Thanks to the Grand Prix Club for the Photo

FF

Old 07-27-2004 | 12:50 PM
Double hit

Last edited by SILVERLIGHTNING; 07-27-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2004 | 01:39 PM
all i need is an 11 second time slip with the stock block as a daliy driver and i think that can be acomplished with the Magnum at 14-15#s boost and if it can than i would be very satisfied paying 1850- for the Magnum VS the KB

this being done with a two stage flip chip (street/race) with interchangable lower pulleys

plus that xtra grand can be saved toward that built bottom end

whatcha think

Old 07-27-2004 | 01:39 PM
all i need is an 11 second time slip with the stock block as a daliy driver and i think that can be acomplished with the Magnum at 14-15#s boost and if it can than i would be very satisfied paying 1850- for the Magnum VS the KB

this being done with a two stage flip chip (street/race) with interchangable lower pulleys

plus that xtra grand can be saved toward that built bottom end

whatcha think

Old 07-27-2004 | 01:54 PM
2bscrewed. Bro, what's up. First, i must have misquoted myself as i only run race gas at 100% when racing as a safety margin for my stock block. I run pump 93 on the street. In the heat at the FFW my truck was probably seeing around 15 lbs boost i'd guess, maybe a little more with the six pound wheel, but not much. The truck will run low 11's with my race program (cool temps, good conditions). I pretty much think as i said in the previous post, do what you will but i'm gonna be hanging out within a couple of tenths of ya, if your lucky, regardless of mod's (notwithstanding a built block of course). See ya at the track.

Old 07-27-2004 | 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
Do you still run the stock heads, Gator?
stock from the oil pan to the intake, so yes

Quick Reply: Magnum Powers Dyno Results!