Lightning

Magnum Powers Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004 | 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
stock from the oil pan to the intake, so yes
Just curious. I have a very similar setup as you, minus the E-fan. With the MP blower, I'm making about 50hp less than you are on pump gas. That ported blower is really doing a good job for you.

I have a 6# lower, full JDM exhaust, Extrude honed upper plenum, Accufab TB, JDM phenolic spacer, JLP forced air intake, 160 stat*, BR7E plugs set at .036, and the Magnum Powers Blower case. I'm still working on the tune; and, I have a set of 60# injectors to install yet; but, I'll be lucky to see 488 SAE even with the kinks rolled out, I'm sure. Not without head work that is. Then I sould be able to break 500 rwhp.

Nice job Gator. What kind of torque #s are you turning out?

Old 07-27-2004 | 04:57 PM
You are correct in that I have the electric fan, a little less rotating weight.
Iam also running a Johnny Lightning 1lb upper pulley.
My truck was dangerous lean after installing the Apten, I guess with all that extra air, the stock fuel system couldn't keep up. And I knew down the road I would need to upgrade.
I couldn't achieve those numbers safely until I went with the 255gph pumps and 55lb injectors and then Jim @ JDM spent ALOT of time with my truck on the dyno.

The numbers where 488rwhp and 593rwtq.
But as you know, its all in the tune. I use the SCT with this tune (mandatory Rob02 jab)

Old 07-27-2004 | 05:09 PM
The MP comes stock with the 270 upper which is smaller than the one you're using. You're right though. It's all in the tune. It's nice to live close to most of the guys we can trust to tune our vehicles. Once again, nicely done.

Old 07-27-2004 | 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
The MP comes stock with the 270 upper which is smaller than the one you're using. You're right though. It's all in the tune. It's nice to live close to most of the guys we can trust to tune our vehicles. Once again, nicely done.
Having JDM 35 minutes from my front door can be expensive If you know what I mean...............

I know Iam heating the crap out of my ported Eaton with the pulleys, but I put the JDM/Fluidyne heat exchanger with a couple Spal fans which seem to help, but I know, the MP is in my future. I just can't see 3K for a blower, no matter how good it is for a street vehicle. A Home Depot running vehicle that is.........

Old 07-27-2004 | 05:58 PM
Fast Gator,

So what lower pulley are you running with the Apten port and what total boost does that give you?

I ask as I am running a stock upper along with an 8 pound lower on my ported Aten. Was wondering if I ciould spin the blower anymore.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2004 | 06:10 PM
I run a 6 lber-----stock bottom, Iam afraid to spool it up any more than that.
According to the Autometer boost gauge, Iam hitting 21 lbs on the dyno @5400/5500 rpms
Don't have enough time to look at it on the street/strip

Looking to swap bottom ends this fall

Old 07-27-2004 | 06:42 PM
Wow, thats a lota lota boost for a stock unit.
I have the JDM built Longblock, heads, cams etc. At 5500 feet I see just under 14 pounds on my Apten with the stock upper and 8 pound lower.

what would a smaller upper do to my boost level?

Old 07-27-2004 | 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
I'll be lucky to see 488 SAE even with the kinks rolled out, I'm sure. Not without head work that is. Then I sould be able to break 500 rwhp.
Odin,
You should see 500 HP without the head work.

My set up is almost the same as yours:

I have a 4# lower, full JDM exhaust, Extrude honed upper plenum, BaBolt TB, JDM phenolic spacer, JLP forced air intake, 170 stat*, IT22 plugs set at .032, E-Fan & WaterPump and the Magnum Powers Blower case. 50LB injectors with stock fuel pumps. 501/591 JDM Dyno Tuned SCT 9100.
That is the race tune. The street tunes are 25 and 50 less.

FF

Old 07-27-2004 | 06:49 PM
Gator, sent you an e-mail through this board hit a brother back!

Peace, suavy

Old 07-27-2004 | 06:59 PM
Originally posted by SILVERLIGHTNING
Odin,
You should see 500 HP without the head work.

My set up is almost the same as yours:

I have a 4# lower, full JDM exhaust, Extrude honed upper plenum, BaBolt TB, JDM phenolic spacer, JLP forced air intake, 170 stat*, IT22 plugs set at .032, E-Fan & WaterPump and the Magnum Powers Blower case. 50LB injectors with stock fuel pumps. 501/591 JDM Dyno Tuned SCT 9100.
That is the race tune. The street tunes are 25 and 50 less.

FF

I have an E-fan on the way. Once it's installed I'll be heading back to the dyno with an updated tune. The last tune was extremely lean. Lean to the point of losing power instead of running meaner, as you may have heard. We'll see what we have then. I have a predator tune from Sal for this go around. 18 degrees timing and what appears to be about 11.7 a/f on my WBC gauge. This is a street tune. I don't expect to put down number to rival some of the race tunes; but, I don't see 50-80 hp differences as acceptable when compared to what others are getting. Of course, some of the numbers are not SAE which makes comparisons harder to make.

425 hp - 527 ft/lbs. SAE

Old 07-27-2004 | 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JohnFastruk
2bscrewed. Bro, what's up. First, i must have misquoted myself as i only run race gas at 100% when racing as a safety margin for my stock block. I run pump 93 on the street. In the heat at the FFW my truck was probably seeing around 15 lbs boost i'd guess, maybe a little more with the six pound wheel, but not much. The truck will run low 11's with my race program (cool temps, good conditions). I pretty much think as i said in the previous post, do what you will but i'm gonna be hanging out within a couple of tenths of ya, if your lucky, regardless of mod's (notwithstanding a built block of course). See ya at the track.
Ya that boost figure is what threw me. When you were talking to me and my girlfriend you told us you saw 23#'s on the dyno and 20-21#'s at Fun ford she looked at me like WHAT!!!. I know if I only had a torque converter and slicks I would have been in the 11's that day with you and mike. I'm looking into Suspension mods right now. Cause I can't afford the rest of the bolt ons. Cant wait till we go to the track and most of us will be in the 11's. At least 5 of us here locally.

Old 07-28-2004 | 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Suavy
Gator, sent you an e-mail through this board hit a brother back!

Peace, suavy
Gotcha

one sent back at ya, but I forgot to add.....

1200/1300
stock convertor

Old 07-28-2004 | 06:53 PM
Thanks Gator I got it!

Peace, Suavy

Old 07-28-2004 | 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 2bscrewed h. I just Don't think the Magnum is as great a bargain as you might think. I would just be afraid to run the amount of boost everyday that it seems to take to get the power out of the magnum. I . [/B]
thats weird, i heard the KB puts more strain on the stock block than the Magnum because the KB makes more boost at lower RPMs (Twin srew design) say 500-2500 which is more likely the damage the engine during heavy acceleration.

and like Jim said there isnt that much of a difference anyway up to 16#s boost between the two, its over that # when the KB begins to pull away like 19+ pounds boost and up

so for a stock block daily driver how do you figure the KB is that much better than the Magnum especialy for the $ difference?

somebody correct me if im wrong

Old 07-28-2004 | 09:33 PM
Originally posted by l-menace
you need to post the pic of the engine on the crate with the 16# lower on it.
You mean this one? Pic. quality sucks but here it is.

Quick Reply: Magnum Powers Dyno Results!