Lightning

Long Tubes...Dynatek vs Kooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:08 AM
|
Long Tubes...Dynatek vs Kooks

Any advantages or disadvantages to each. Price seems to be compatible. I am familiar with the Kooks and have installed a couple of sets. I'm in the market and just want the latest and greatest info

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:18 AM
I just was going through this whole thing also...

You need to talk to Mark at LFP. I'm not going to post my findings because of vender bashing.

If you want I can send you what I have found out though E-mail.

It's worth a look at.

sahansen@oppd.com

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:22 AM
Don...also keep in mind, that with the LT's you will lose a set of cats, and with the silver bullet, you are going to end up loud as he!!. I think I am going to do a whole new exhaust and try to sell my silver bullet.

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:25 AM
|
hah

you are going to end up loud as he!!.
and

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Not an Expert on the Dynatechs but heres what I do know about the Kooks.

The were designed during four months of testing here at JDM and then are produced at KOOKS. They were designed directly for the Lightning therfore one of the easier installs when done in a shop with an able mechanic. They are 304 stainless steel so they dont turn as dark as most stainless steel headers do. The headers come in 1 5/8" to 2 1/2" collector also can be ordered in Step header version for 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" then to 3" collectors. Usually gains of 30 HP are seen through the midrange with hiflow cats and midpipes as well as a catback. The torque increase is also approx 40 Ft/Lbs through the midrange. They are definatley recommended for vehicles running high boost applications or aftermarket superchargers ( Kenne Bell, Magnum Powers, Works, etc...) They also give an aggressive high quality sound to the truck. For ordering or further information you can contact JDM @ 732-780-0770. We offer these headers with a full exhaust system using Magnaflow components.

Hope this helps...

JimIII

Old 07-16-2004 | 12:17 PM
Jim,

What type of cats are you using in your system?

I thought I have heard of some problems with a certain brand.

Thanks,

Old 07-16-2004 | 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
These are Magnaflow/Carsound cats. They are a hi flow cat and are stainless steel.

JimIII

Old 07-16-2004 | 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JimIII@jdm
Usually gains of 30 HP are seen through the midrange with hiflow cats and midpipes as well as a catback. The torque increase is also approx 40 Ft/Lbs through the midrange.
Were these gains seen on a stock truck or modded? If modded, how much? Could you post some dyno sheets? I thought the LTs were on the pricey side, but if I can see 30 rwhp/40 ft lbs. of torque increase, then they might be worth it!

Also, are there any other LTs out there for our trucks other than these two brands?

Old 07-16-2004 | 01:21 PM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
Were these gains seen on a stock truck or modded? If modded, how much? Could you post some dyno sheets? I thought the LTs were on the pricey side, but if I can see 30 rwhp/40 ft lbs. of torque increase, then they might be worth it!
I believe you will see more gains on a modded truck, but you will still see impressive gains anyway. I would try a search, as the kooks headers are a well documented good mod. I have heard very few complaints (um, actually, I don't think I have heard any complaints) about them. And as far as the money goes, check with an LS1 guy....they are more expensive, for those cars. I think we're pretty lucky at this price for a low volume production part.

Tallimeca...ya, I'm just not sure how loud it will be...I would like to get the motor in, get set up like this, then maybe swap in the spring for the desired sound.

Old 07-16-2004 | 03:36 PM
|
anyone

not to many using the dynatech stuff???????????

Old 07-16-2004 | 04:00 PM
I did a search and found some rumors about LFP coming out with its own LTs? Can someone confirm or deny this? Pricing? Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread....

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:12 PM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
I did a search and found some rumors about LFP coming out with its own LTs? Can someone confirm or deny this? Pricing? Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread....
They are made and availible for sale. Listed on his website....I forget how much though.

Josh

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:30 PM
This is my own personal, not-exactly-scientific dyno-plot compare of my truck before and after installing JDM Longtubes+dual magnaflow catback.

I gained ~30ish under the curve. I had no chips, pullies, etc...only a PSP intake at the time.

--Dan

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:59 PM
Originally posted by thepawn
I gained ~30ish under the curve. I had no chips, pullies, etc...only a PSP intake at the time.
--Dan

Old 07-17-2004 | 12:06 AM
I'm running the dynatech headers on mine and couldn't be happier. They sound incredible and the power increase was very noticable

Quick Reply: Long Tubes...Dynatek vs Kooks