Lightning

Re-flash the PCU. –VS- Chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004 | 12:31 PM
|
Re-flash the PCU. –VS- Chip

I know this had been discussed before!! I performed a search, at several sites… and I was looking for historical facts, some treads date back to 2001… what I’m looking for is cutting age knowledge… Individuals who are using this system, and their (current toady’s) comments!! I search many sites, and the information is obsolete, Preconceived of possible results or otherwise wife tales!!! I’m looking for the actual NOW performance. The plan is to have my PCU re-flashed with in two weeks.. Any comments good or bad are positively welcomed…

Last edited by oldfrmtrk; 07-16-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2004 | 12:36 PM
No difference.

Only benefit to having it flashed is NO CHIP - not having to remove the conformal coating on your computer, and being able to go back to stock fairly easily (if your tuner is still in the area)...

Drawback to flashing - having to physically drive the truck to your tuner.

The 2nd gen chips and new flashing methods give the same results - just depends on your tuner and how they get the most out of your truck.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2004 | 01:17 PM
I'm going through this right now, I had my street program put on my PCM and race on the chip.
I am putting both onthe chip and my stock one back onthe PCM..

that way when I sell it I simply hve to remove the chip and mods, not worrying about hte PCM program

Old 07-16-2004 | 01:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Re: Re-flash the PCU. –VS- Chip

Originally posted by oldfrmtrk
I know this had been discussed before!! I performed a search, at several sites… and I was looking for historical facts, some treads date back to 2001… what I’m looking for is cutting age knowledge… Individuals who are using this system, and their (current toady’s) comments!! I search many sites, and the information is obsolete, Preconceived of possible results or otherwise wife tales!!! I’m looking for the actual NOW performance. The plan is to have my PCU re-flashed with in two weeks.. Any comments good or bad are positively welcomed…
If you want answers I would give Mark with BOP a call. He is a real nice gent and he will answer any questions you have. One thing you may want to think about is purchasing another EEC and have it reflashed. You can still drive your truck while you are waiting on the other EEC to be reflashed and you can just install your stock EEC when you want to go back to stock. You can talk to Mark about this as well.

http://www.blueovalperformance.com/

Old 07-16-2004 | 03:22 PM
|
Thanks for the replays and leads! However I’m specifically questioning the reality of the claims made by re-flashing.

Such as the Adaptive ability, to adjust to variations of temperature. (No need for hot or cold chips “Programs) the ability to self adjust to altitude variations.. The ability to install a 75 shot of NOZ with out the need to perform program adjustments. The ability to change boost pulleys, with out the hassle of chip reborn… The ability to change octane from 87 to 101 (or whatever) and the engine adjusts the “perimeters” to process whatever fuel octane is in the tank this was forecast in 2001…. Did it happen??? On the other hand, was it a pipe dream?

Thanks for the attention!!!

Old 07-16-2004 | 04:03 PM
I think reflashing the PCM will allow more parameters to be accessible? Don't know if those parameters matter?

Old 07-16-2004 | 06:10 PM
Here's an official answer from SCT (superchips custom tuning).

There is no difference (as it relates to tuning) between reflashing a processor and installing a SCT 4-bank chip. They all change the same 224K of data in all 4 banks. Most of the people that make the claims about the great "reflashing technology" actually sent their computers to us and had us reflash them. I would be glad to continue disucssing this with anyone that has a different viewpoint and data to support it.

Old 07-16-2004 | 06:41 PM
Brian,

What about Blue Oval Performance?

Old 07-16-2004 | 06:48 PM
I'm not exactly sure what they are telling people, but if Mark has a difference of opinion he can call me personally and I would be glad to discuss it with him at 407-774-2447.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:11 PM
I would have gone with a SCT tuner if my truck wasn't out of warrantee and I hadn't allready cleaned my contacts. Since I allready had a chip in my truck for years, I went with the SCT 4 bank chip, but there is no difference in performance.

The big advantage with the tuner is you can put the stock program back and the dealer will never know.

Quick Reply: Re-flash the PCU. –VS- Chip