Lightning

Trade with me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004 | 03:56 PM
|
Trade with me!

I haven't posted here in ages, but some of you may remember me from about six months ago. I traded my 01 Lightning in for an 04 Subaru WRX STI in January. Well, I recently started autocrossing in the San Diego, CA area. Here's my offer...

If you'd like to come out to an autocross event here in S.D. with your Lightning, I'd gladly trade you a lap in my car for a lap in your L. I just want to compare the two after a good amount of seat time in both. I know the L has more power, but I want to know how similar the handling characteristics are. I have a feeling the L and the STI are basically equal in the autocross arena, but would like to see for myself. I may just be mis-remembering its capabilities.

I prefer your L being stock, as my STI is stock. That would be the best comparison.

Any takers? You can best contact me at svt@kwaping.com .

-Ollie

Old 07-16-2004 | 03:58 PM
Stock for stock, I believe the STi will spank the L. The Lightning still has too much body roll and weight. With a good driver taking each vehicle to its limits, the STi will win.

Just my opinion...

Old 07-16-2004 | 04:25 PM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
the STi will win
Or at least it should ... :o

Old 07-16-2004 | 04:43 PM
the STi is also a lot lighter. I agree, it should win.

Old 07-16-2004 | 05:43 PM
I drove an STi before buying the regular WRX turbo, and the STi is pretty tight handling. I also have a 99L and it would be pretty close. I think the main advantage is the seat. In the STi or WRX the seat is more conforming and you can really push the car. To me (5'6 135) the seat in the L (even with the seat belt on) does not encourage the best road course driving condition. A stock L, good driver and an upgraded seat may be something different/

just my .02

Old 07-16-2004 | 06:21 PM
Re: Trade with me!

Originally posted by felonious
I want to know how similar the handling characteristics are. I have a feeling the L and the STI are basically equal in the autocross arena, but would like to see for myself. I may just be mis-remembering its capabilities.
-Ollie
Ollie, I think you must be nuts.

I can't see how there would be ANY similarity between the handling characteristics of a 5000lb rear wheel drive pickup truck, and a substantially lighter all wheel drive turbo car.

I test drove a non sti '03 wrx just last night and IMHO, it handled like it was on rails compared to my L. and my L is equipped with Hotchkis springs, sway bars, and QA1 adjustable shocks.

just my .02

oh, BTW, I got all excited when I started to read this thread, because I thought that you wanted to trade an STI for a Lightning. I've had visions of STIs and EVOs dancing in my head lately for some reason.

how about this, I'll come race you, but if I win, then we switch vehicles for good?

P.S. don't mind the smoke coming from my tailpipes, it's normal.

later,
chris

Old 07-16-2004 | 06:40 PM
AWD is awesome. My L was set up very similar to Superfords with the addition of Brembo's. The STi will spank the L in the Aot-X. Stock STi?? I didn't think there were any.

The handling on my STi stock is miles ahead of my old L. I have since added higher rate springs (lower ride height), assorted urethane bushings, and Hotchkis F&R sway bars. Stock it cornered good. Now it is awesome. Just a new turbo away from being complete.

Old 07-17-2004 | 01:56 PM
|
LOL! Apparently yes, I am crazy. Okay, well at least now I feel better about the swap anyway.

The offer still stands, if there's any takers.

-Ollie

Old 07-17-2004 | 03:20 PM
Why can't the WRX or STi come in a two-door version... Then I would actually be able to buy one, and actually feel good about it. Just can't stand having four doors...

Old 07-17-2004 | 03:40 PM
My buddy has an STI and they freaking awesome but they are very pricey to mod..

Duende,

While I was in Europe I have seen some 2-dr coupes and IMHO I think the 4-dr looks better.. I guess you would just have to see the 2 side-by-side to feel me..

Old 07-17-2004 | 05:19 PM
Oh, thanks.

Just like the idea of the a sporty, two-door, AWD, turbo car... Oh well.

Old 07-17-2004 | 09:28 PM
LOL! Apparently yes, I am crazy. Okay, well at least now I feel better about the swap anyway. :)

The offer still stands, if there's any takers.

-Ollie
Too bad I'm not closer. ;) Unless you can drive your STi well, my Lightning will beat you. :)

Old 07-19-2004 | 11:10 AM
|
Ha! You think I've been gone long enough to forget about you and your truck's capabilities?? Guess again, bucko. :P

But anyway, this is in no way a challenge. This was just meant as a friendly offer so that (1) I could re-live my past Lightning's glory, and (2) you could try out my STI.

Oh, a funny side-story... My girlfriend and I were on the freeway Saturday and we see a L. She turns to me and says, "Thank you for introducing me to those trucks! They are so awesome, there's just something about them!" I agree. Can't wait to see what the next generation looks like! (Oh, and she drives a SVT Focus.)

-Ollie

Old 07-19-2004 | 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Duende
Oh, thanks.

Just like the idea of the a sporty, two-door, AWD, turbo car... Oh well.
90-99 DSM!

Old 07-19-2004 | 01:41 PM
Ha! You think I've been gone long enough to forget about you and your truck's capabilities?? Guess again, bucko. :P

But anyway, this is in no way a challenge. This was just meant as a friendly offer so that (1) I could re-live my past Lightning's glory, and (2) you could try out my STI.

Oh, a funny side-story... My girlfriend and I were on the freeway Saturday and we see a L. She turns to me and says, "Thank you for introducing me to those trucks! They are so awesome, there's just something about them!" I agree. Can't wait to see what the next generation looks like! (Oh, and she drives a SVT Focus.)

-Ollie
hehe... yeah, the autox group of guys I hang out with is like 85% subaru .. (A mix of legacy's, impreza RS's and WRX/STI's). They are definitely a great fun bunch of cars....if I ever learn how to drive stick well, I want to try autocrossing one.

They still point and laugh at me whenever it begins to rain at an event we're all at.

Daniel

Quick Reply: Trade with me!