Lightning

Why Does Everyone Think Down On 99-00

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i bought my 99 lightning 6 months ago , i was looking for a low miles truck i could pay cash for. I just did not want a monthly payment.didnt really care what year it was.

Old 07-17-2004, 11:01 PM
I think it is that way with anything. If there is ANY upgrade then people always look to that year. I think the 01+'s have the newer grills, 02+'s have the key pad, 00+'s have color matched mirrors, 03+'s have there a$$ up in the air

They are just upgrades; stock performance sure the 01+'s have an advantage. But, once you start modding that is gone.

BTW; 02 is the best year

Old 07-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Casey, I'll have to agree w/ you. Too bad it didn't come w/ the
99/00 rods though.

Old 07-17-2004, 11:17 PM
MY RODS ARE STILL IN
6K shifting and all

I always kinda of saw it opposite Wes,
I think I rather have an updated 99/00 sometimes knowing they're more bullet proff, very far and inbetween do we hear of one throwing a Rod.

I think the real diff was the choice of Mods and Tunes like we have today, simply weren't there in 99/00. Of course a lot of people modded back then, and still today stick with that set up.
It surly does seem like ALL YEARS run pretty much the same when you use the same Mods and Tunes,
(well except those Gen I owners without the Whine)

In my eyes, no year is faster, just differant, (we're talking Gen II's of course, hehehehe). Lets face it, most years ARE differant,
for 99/00 it's the Maf, Gears, Manifold and IC Design that most point out, there are other things too including the computer. (In a few ocassions I've scene people even upgrade to a later year computer to give them more options on their tunes.)

For 01 yes the bigger Maf, Higher Gears, New Manifold + IC Design came out, "But" then there was the leaking head gaskets.

In 02 the head gaskets seemed (???) to hold a little better, but then there's all the talk about the new schitty Rod's.
Of course up to now all years are still spitting plugs,
and quite frankly Ford couldn't give a rats a$$ about you or me,
they just decided to take the easy way out and void everyones wrrnty.

Now 03, here's a Home Run yr if you asked me, new block and head design with more surface area to seal against, the new updated Head Gaskets, Ford finally realized that it doesn't cost money to put a few more threads in head (they should be in jail for what they did to us) although many 03's have blown rods, the word is their better than the 02 rod's ?

04 seems to be like 02, no real change
(lets just hope no one new is making the pistons)
Of course for these 2 yrs Ford thinks they got to be like Dodge and make a one room apartment in the rear wheel wells.

I'm prob guilty for once saying good #'s for a 99/00, but there WAS a HP diff when they were stock, so it's expected.
Key word --> WAS

Old 07-18-2004, 01:22 AM
I know that Ford advertised a 20HP increase for the 01's. What does a dyno say? Is their really 20 less HP for the 99/00's?

Old 07-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by fast1
I know that Ford advertised a 20HP increase for the 01's. What does a dyno say? Is their really 20 less HP for the 99/00's?
maybe stock (not sure), but not with the same mods.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:18 AM
I havent really noticed anyone talking/thinking down on us original bada$$es. Once the modding begins it makes no difference, the faster L's switch back to 3:55 gears anyway, and most got the intercooler recall done. So your lookin at some new headlights and taillights that are easily replaced and weaker rods and driveshafts??

Does the 90mm make that much of a difference in power? I was thinking of upgrading to the 90 along with a 4# and a new tune...

Jon

Old 07-18-2004, 02:57 AM
All I know is that more 99-00s should be in the 10s and 11s. You guys had a head start!

Old 07-18-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
All I know is that more 99-00s should be in the 10s and 11s. You guys had a head start!
lol, guess i missed the boat......i didn't buy my 99 till 2003

Old 07-18-2004, 07:51 AM
oo w/410 gears..Nitto 555..trac.bars..Line Mod Valve/ Kenne Bell/ 4lb lower pulley/16lbs Boost..Headers..superchip/ JDM tuned..90MAF/ Acubab Throttlebody/ Air Force One w/Power Tube/ 55lb Injectors/ Walbro 255tr Fuel Pumps/ Denso/ etc..etc

No Problem getting off the line/ Lots of fun at LIGHTS **** Street Toy

Billet by Chicknear's

Last edited by WickedQuick-L; 07-18-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Older can be Better

Well, I did not start modding my 2000 L until a year after I bought it brand new in March 2000. But I think I've kinda caught up quite nicely, my truck just spun the rollers at JLP's dyno last week and made 612 HP at the wheels. Johnny installed his Stage 3 cams and his ported and polished heads along with his new aluminum upper plenum. It runs stronger than ever, and it goes to the chassis shop next week for a chromemoly rollcage. I think I'll have to keep this truck for a long time.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:54 AM
I bought a 99 L in December of 02. Right off the batt I had to deal with the intercooler prob out my own pocket.

Didn't matter the love affair was in full swing and I was hooked. At 38K miles I started getting the mod bug and right off the bat ran in the MAF upgrade and chip reburn.
That didn't sit well with me for some reason. I also noted durring the intercooler change at 21K that the teflon was flaking on my rotors.

I read a post by a tuner saying that the main HP increase from the 99-00 came from a different design in the intake runners of the manifold. Plus the bolt pattern was different making upgrade not worth it.

Then there was the fact that the Lightning plant shut down in canada for good and the O4 would be the last second Gen.

Here are some other observations I made that changed my mind and caused me to upgrade to the 04

14MM wheel studs
4.5 " aluminum drive shaft
more spark plug threads
better head gaskets
3:73 gears
bigger fuel pumps
Thicker webing in engine block
Bolt on cold air intake without mods
a warranty (for what its worth)
Billstien shocks
Lighter wheels
In Dash CD changer
Tinted rear window
overhead counsel
outside mirrow turns sigs
Better Fog Lights (no cracking?/time will tell)
Clear head and tail lights
Better stereo speakers (personal opinion)
Keyless entry
nicer carpet (navigator upgrade)
Heavier Hauling cap (500#)
Drivers side OH poop handle
rear window seal
Led rear light

Here are just some of the common problems of the 99
intercooler leak
oil leaking heads
dash light controller
cracking roof paint
cracking door above handle
Fog lights
teflon comes off SC rotors (some)

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 99. It set the hook
hard and deep. But buying it second hand and having run up the 40K miles with no spark plug spitting, or oil leaking heads and having the whole truck 6 years old I felt I was pushing my luck if I started modding.

I was also looking at full set of tires, painting the whole front end from rock chips, new windsheild, replace origanal battery, some tranny wear, brake pad wear,
Well, you get the idea.

Do I feel a major seat of the pants difference in performance? NO!
Do I feel any difference? YES! but not that I would have changed on that alone.

Am I happy I made the change? MOST DEFINITLEY!

My $380 payment stayed the same and at lower interest rate. Also as it has been mentioned, the next generation will be a whole new game in a new build location and we will be back on the learning curve for a few years. Body style changes???? Bucket seats, floor shift. (me no likey)

99 fuel mileage? Best 17.5 MPG, worst 10MPG towing, avg. 14+
04 first tank 15.5 aprox. second tank 14.5MPG

Is there anything wrong with owning a 99-00 ?
Heck no! It's a lightning legend. The fasted production truck in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be glad you own a limited production specialty.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:15 AM
My 02 rod's ain't let go yet. But, Last dyno I rolled 439 SAE, and I know I got more than that now Probably around 450~475 at the wheels now. We'll see what they got

Old 07-18-2004, 11:33 AM
The big difference in the 99-00 and 01 up hp is due to the lower intake runner shape and design. Longer runners & diff. shaped.

Scott

Old 07-18-2004, 11:40 AM
My sig. tels about my00L traded just for the trade-up value to 02. I liked the 355's as far as gas mileage but, 373's a little better of line.

Quick Reply: Why Does Everyone Think Down On 99-00