Lightning

anyone use the flowmaster american thunder cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004 | 12:54 AM
|
anyone use the flowmaster american thunder cat back?

Self explanatory.. wondering about sound/quality/fitment... what do you guys think?

Old 07-18-2004 | 01:27 AM
I've heard nothing but complaints about poor sound.

Old 07-18-2004 | 01:29 AM
Thats not a very popular exhaust for a Lightning, as for the sound, it will make you truck sound like a jet, a friend had one put on his truck, and he had it removed 2 days later. if you want a catback that sounds good, then go with a magnaflow, you will like it better than the flowmaster.

Old 07-18-2004 | 10:08 AM
"JUST SAY NO"

to flowmaster mufflers on Lightning trucks.

it'll make your truck sound like a backwards vacuum cleaner driving down the street and you'll probably lose some power as well.

later,
chris

Old 07-18-2004 | 10:42 AM
I actually lost power from the stock exhaust. It sounds ok at idle, but anything above 2k rpm and it is crap. Don't waste your $$$ like I did....I'm just waiting to find a good deal on a Magnaflow mid-pipe /catback

Old 07-18-2004 | 10:54 AM
Decide for yourself. Heres a sound clip of a Flowmaster exhaust on a Lightning.

Flowmaster

Old 07-18-2004 | 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
Decide for yourself. Heres a sound clip of a Flowmaster exhaust on a Lightning.

Flowmaster
That is sooooo.... funny, made me crack up!!!

Old 07-18-2004 | 12:02 PM
Last weekend I watched a Lightning with a Flowmaster cat-back dyno. The dyno operator couldn't even get an a/f reading out of one of the exhaust pipes. Stay away from Flowmasters on these trucks.

Old 07-18-2004 | 12:19 PM
I have twin 40 series on the HD, without issue and sounds great imo.

Old 07-18-2004 | 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Krix330cic(NJ)
I have twin 40 series on the HD, without issue and sounds great imo.
^^^
What Kris said, the 40 series were the only I've heard that "work" with out truck for a nice tone...the others tend to drone alot.

Those were the only model I hear worked well out of the Flowermaster set. Wise choice.

Old 07-18-2004 | 01:07 PM
Originally posted by venomous
I actually lost power from the stock exhaust. It sounds ok at idle, but anything above 2k rpm and it is crap. Don't waste your $$$ like I did....I'm just waiting to find a good deal on a Magnaflow mid-pipe /catback
**** over at NLOC forms has the best deal and shipping on what you asking for.

Old 07-18-2004 | 01:31 PM
Originally posted by thepawn
^^^
What Kris said, the 40 series were the only I've heard that "work" with out truck for a nice tone...the others tend to drone alot.

Those were the only model I hear worked well out of the Flowermaster set. Wise choice.

That's what I first had put on my truck as well. They caused me to gain torque on the dyno; but, I lost top end hp. After only 2000 miles I could knock a hole in them with my knuckles. Too much heat and backpressure for a supercharged engine. I was changing over to a Borla catback when I discovered this. The Flows sounded like a wet towel flapping in the wind under moderate to heavy throttle. That's why I was changing them out in the first place. The Borlas were nice; but, not aggressive sounding enough under light throttle or idle. The Magnapacks I have now (Silver Bullet) are a little louder than I wanted, after I added LTs and hi-flo cats; but, much better than the Flows were. They sounded perfect with the stock manifolds and cats. I am starting to wonder what the Borla would sound like with the headers and cats changed over?

Old 07-18-2004 | 01:44 PM
|
That's what I first had put on my truck as well. They caused me to gain torque on the dyno; but, I lost top end hp. After only 2000 miles I could knock a hole in them with my knuckles. Too much heat and backpressure for a supercharged engine. I was changing over to a Borla catback when I discovered this. The Flows sounded like a wet towel flapping in the wind under moderate to heavy throttle. That's why I was changing them out in the first place. The Borlas were nice; but, not aggressive sounding enough under light throttle or idle. The Magnapacks I have now (Silver Bullet) are a little louder than I wanted, after I added LTs and hi-flo cats; but, much better than the Flows were. They sounded perfect with the stock manifolds and cats. I am starting to wonder what the Borla would sound like with the headers and cats changed over?
yeah i'm thinkin of going with the magnaflow or silver bullet... that sound clip was great though.. hahaha

Old 07-18-2004 | 02:06 PM
Originally posted by birdy111
yeah i'm thinkin of going with the magnaflow or silver bullet... that sound clip was great though.. hahaha
I'm not crazy about the Flowmaster signature sound; but, if you really like them for that reason, you might be able to increase the diameter of your pipes to 2.75 or 3 inches, behind the midpipes, and beat the back pressure issue. That means a custom exhaust job at a good muffler shop instead of a catback. You could still save money, too.

That sound clip gets lots of use from me around here. Some are probably getting tired of it; but, there's always somebody that hasn't heard it yet.

Old 07-18-2004 | 02:20 PM
I am starting to wonder what the Borla would sound like with the headers and cats changed over?
The Borlas will get a little louder with more use. I don't have cats or headers but I do love my Borlas. What I need to do is have someone drive my L with some throttle while I'm outside. I would really like to hear how they sound outside the cab.

Quick Reply: anyone use the flowmaster american thunder cat back?