Lightning

Help me beat a Z28!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004 | 03:07 PM
|
Help me beat a Z28!

Sooo, I have a friend with a 2002 Camaro who can't stop talking about how fast his car is, how he could never get beat by a truck, etc. I want to shut him up, so we are going to the track Friday night. His car is stock with Predator/exhaust. My 2004 truck is stock with 3# pulley, Predator, and K&N drop in. I plan to remove the spare tire and hitch, but not the passenger seat...I want him to think he got walked by a stock truck at factory weight. I also plan to remove the lower half of the air box and the filter, along with icing down the intake. Any other cheap track-only mods I can do to help ensure my win? His car is pretty quick, but I think if I can take him off the line, he won't be able to catch back up. Fortunately for me, it's only an 1/8 mile track. Thanks guys.

Old 07-18-2004 | 04:20 PM
I dont think you even need to worry about weight reduction. Your truck vs. the Z28 stock should win. Im bone stock and Ive waxed a few. Also since its an 1/8 mile you dont have to worry about him catching back up with you. Launch it good and you will have em....

Old 07-18-2004 | 04:24 PM
Your going to kick his ***!

Old 07-18-2004 | 04:27 PM
Originally posted by SVTF150Lghtn
I dont think you even need to worry about weight reduction. Your truck vs. the Z28 stock should win. Im bone stock and Ive waxed a few. Also since its an 1/8 mile you dont have to worry about him catching back up with you. Launch it good and you will have em....
Agreed!

Old 07-18-2004 | 04:35 PM
You shouldn't have a problem taking the Z28 out. I beat a few of them when I was bone stock. Make sure you get a good launch and all he will see is the back of an L for the 1/8th. Becareful when icing your intake not to let water run down to the coil packs. I use a towel in between the intake and bag of ice. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2004 | 06:28 PM
27 psi in the rear tires, 45 psi in the front tires

Don't leave your truck running any more than you have to. When the line pull foward let it go. When you do start it up put it in gear get some momentum, put it in neutral and shut the truck off. Let it cost up to the car in front of you. Try do do as few restarts as possible while in line. If you have a friend with you keep the hood open as long as you can to keep the heat out. Have him shut the hood when your close to the actual starting line.

Hook up a manual switch for the intercooler pump and leave it running while you are in the pits cooling down, and while in the staging lane. Don't worry about leaving it on in the staging lane or even while you are running down the strip. Circulating the intercooler fluid will help keep your intake charge cooler, so the computer won't take out as much timing.

Stay out of the water box, Do about a 5 second burnout

Launch at 800 rpms, just barelly take the slck out the drivetrain

And Kick his Butt

Old 07-18-2004 | 06:33 PM
you wont have any trouble.. great info don!!!

most of all stay calm and focused on the task at hand.

Good luck

Dale

Old 07-18-2004 | 10:14 PM
since you guys are going heads-up, a lot of races are won and lost on the tree. get there a little early and make sure you understand when to leave. .3 to .4 seconds at the tree translates to wins. have you ever been to the track?

Old 07-19-2004 | 12:34 AM
don't worry about it. last time at the track i took down 2 ls1 trans am's. make sure you tree him though. leave at the next to last light.
oh yeah, i'm stock
later
chiz

Old 07-19-2004 | 07:57 AM
|
Thanks for all the help guys, especially Don! I have been on the track before, but not in either of my Lightnings and not to this track in particular. I am going to do the intercooler switch mod this afternoon - great idea! I will let you all know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Help me beat a Z28!