Lightning

Poor man's susp. drop and sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Poor man's susp. drop and sway bars?

I was thinking about putting on a set of FRPP front springs I have and a set of JLP 4" drop shackles to get me close to my 1/3 drop I'm wanting.

1.)Now I have a '03 still with stock shocks. Should I change those out since I'll be dropping the rear 4" over stock? (I have '01 springs and looking at 4" shackles for a total of 4" drop vs. '03)

2.)Also will it be beneficial to get aftermarket swaybars to try and clean up the "slop" created by the longer shackles...or should I just get shorter end links and keep the stockers?
I'm looking for something that handles when I decide to put it through the paces when I get the urge, but still drivable on a daily bases. TIA

3.)One last question...any feedback on the new "softer" 2/3 hotchkis kit for Lightnings?

Last edited by ~nightcrawler~; 07-22-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 AM
I say just cut the front stock coils, remove a rear leaf, and be done with it. When the time comes for new shocks, just go to Meineke and get a set of their lifetime warranty ones. Or, if you want to spend a little more, Belltech makes a sweet set of Nitro drop shocks!

Old 07-22-2004, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Poor man's susp. drop and sway bars?

Originally posted by ~nightcrawler~
. . .1.)Now I have a '03 still with stock shocks. Should I change those out since I'll be dropping the rear 4" over stock?
Either that or get some So-Cal shock extenders.

2.)Also will it be beneficial to get aftermarket swaybars to try and clean up the "slop" created by the longer shackles...or should I just get shorter end links and keep the stockers? . . .
A new bar will not clean up that slop. Only a panhard bar or similar will do that.

3.)One last question...any feedback on the new "softer" 2/3 hotchkis kit for Lightnings? [/B]
I haven't heard any.

With all due respect, I do not concur with Lightningguy's recommendations. Coil cutting might be okay, but pulling a leaf will hurt, not help, the handling.

Just any old shock will not do for a heavy, stiffly sprung truck. They will probably not perform well from the get-go and fail quickly. From most reports that I have seen, most of the "drop shocks" (with the possible exception of Doetsch Tech) are junk -- valved and sized okay, but not well constructed. The most cost-effective option seems to be the specially valved Bilsteins from Hothckis or Roush.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 AM
I have the new hotchkis TVS kit sitting in my house, planning to put it on next week. I will let you know how that goes. Soon as that is done, I plan on putting my order in for the hotchkis/bilstein shocks...should be fun.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by AmoJohnny
I have the new hotchkis TVS kit sitting in my house, planning to put it on next week. I will let you know how that goes. Soon as that is done, I plan on putting my order in for the hotchkis/bilstein shocks...should be fun.
Ya definately let me know what you think of it. That'll be a good comparison of the stock shocks and the hotchkis bilsteins to with the kit.

Ya I agree with you too Tim about the modifying stock springs and cheap shocks. I was wanting a drop on a budget, not trying to cut corners though. Thanks for the schooling on the sway bar. I've heard the panhard bar deteriorates ride quality some...Is this true? Also would it hurt a truck on the dragstrip? Thanks again

Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by ~nightcrawler~
. . . I've heard the panhard bar deteriorates ride quality some...Is this true? . . .
The only downside is potentially some noise from the heim joints. The Ruslow design has also been criticized for being too short, causing excessive lateral movement as the axle moves up and down. But since it's the only game in town, we live with it.

Old 07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Tim,

I used to work on mini-trucks and we used to do that setup all the time. Another way to go lower is to use a flipkit and that'll net you a good 5 to 6 inches!

I've also had luck with just throwing a couple of bags of cement or sand in the bed to level off my truck some. When I first did my truck, I cut the front coils a little too much and had a rake that I didn't like. After about 250 to 300 lbs. of cement in the back, it pretty much leveled the rear out.

Just providing some input on lowering...

Old 07-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
. . . Just providing some input on lowering...
Your suggestions will lower alright, but you may have missed ~nightcrawler~'s statement that "I'm looking for something that handles when I decide to put it through the paces when I get the urge."

Pulling leafs and adding cement (gulp) don't really seem to be consistent with that goal.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:21 PM
I say just cut the front stock coils,....
For those of you that have done this cutting of the front coils....how much did you cut off and how much did it lower it?
Just don't wanna cut off too much

Old 07-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by whiplash
For those of you that have done this cutting of the front coils....how much did you cut off and how much did it lower it?
Just don't wanna cut off too much
I just eyeballed it. It took me a couple of tries (which is why I ended up lower in the front) but I like how my truck sits now.

Tim,

My truck still handles better than most trucks I have dealt with! I fabbed up some brackets to hold the bags of cement in the rear. Also, I think I can achieve near 50/50 weight distribution by adding more sand or cement in the bed!

Also, what do you think about using a couple of shower curtain rods as braces for the bed of the truck? Would they stiffen it any?

Old 07-22-2004, 01:54 PM
you sir dont deserve to own a Lightning. Shower rods? Cement in a bracket?

Old 07-22-2004, 05:43 PM

Also, what do you think about using a couple of shower curtain rods as braces for the bed of the truck? Would they stiffen it any?
Not to mean any disrespect, but are you serious!? If we are thinking about the same shower curtain rods then barely hold up a 1 lb. shower curtain much less stiffen a 5000 lb truck

Old 07-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Your suggestions will lower alright, but you may have missed ~nightcrawler~'s statement that "I'm looking for something that handles when I decide to put it through the paces when I get the urge."

Pulling leafs and adding cement (gulp) don't really seem to be consistent with that goal.
Ya if companies sold factory springs that are JUST cut or factory leafs that are JUST "deleafed" then I might have to research that more as to why they think it would be beneficial as an "upgrade". I say poor man's suspension as in I was looking to avoid spending the $900 for the complete hotchkis kit and make due with some quality basic components to get me a 1"/3" drop and decent handling. Cutting springs and taking out leafs would be going backwards in my opinion and killing all the R&D Ford did to make the suspension work.
Thanks for the input, but just not something I'm willing to do with this truck.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
The only downside is potentially some noise from the heim joints. The Ruslow design has also been criticized for being too short, causing excessive lateral movement as the axle moves up and down. But since it's the only game in town, we live with it.
If you have a lower than stock suspension though there will be less room for travel, so less room for lateral movement by the panhard right? Would this excessive lateral movement damage components or just affect the handling characteristics?

Old 07-22-2004, 06:03 PM
You Cheap bastards...

It costs $125 bucks for a set of Springs from Ruslow which can be had anywhere from stock to 1500lbs. Order a set and do it the right way.

They will drop your truck about 1 1/2 or so in the Front.

Cutting Coils is the hack backwards way to do it. You own a 30 Thousand Dollar truck, Im sure you can afford $125 bucks to do it the right way.

When I put my panhard bar on I didn't notice and change in Ride or any noise. What do make noise are the So Cal swaybar links. I have to spray them down every few weeks or so to keep them quiet.

Quick Reply: Poor man's susp. drop and sway bars?