Lightning

Nearly Totalled my truck...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004 | 08:34 PM
|
Nearly Totalled my truck...

It's going to be nearly $14,000 in repairs... including a complete frame replace.

What I want to know:

Is there anything I should have the rebuild place do while they are doing a frame replace? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of having the frame painted silver to match the body color, what do you think?

I'd like to make lemonade out of these lemons, help me out folks!

Coldie

Old 07-22-2004 | 08:43 PM
How about a rollpan?

Old 07-22-2004 | 09:10 PM
|
I've thought about a rollpan, but I hop in and out of my bed to often via the bumper...

It's the same reason I haven't smoothed the side steps. Damn form following function...

Coldie

Old 07-23-2004 | 12:03 AM
Re: Nearly Totalled my truck...

Originally posted by Coldie
. . . Is there anything I should have the rebuild place do while they are doing a frame replace? Any suggestions? . .
1. Get them to get rid of every f'in bit of that crap that Ford puts on instead of real undercoating.
2. Get it undercoated.
3. Relocate the battery.
4. Cut off the spare tire X and replace with some simple bars.
5. Install a Ruslow panhard and QA1 heims.
6. Install Ruslow sliders.
7. Mount an Accusump.

Gimme some time. I can come up with others.

Don't paint it. It will be too depressing when you see how dirty it gets.

Old 07-23-2004 | 12:58 AM
I've painted two frames and powder coated a third, so I've been there. First the problem is, who's going to do the frame installation? You, or somebody that does not care? Your insurance company has one goal and one goal alone. Settle the claim quickly and as cheaply as possible. You may get them to cut the check to you, rather than the shop. It is you who has been damaged, and if you chooose to drive it as is, you're entitled to do so. Ok, lets say you get the check. How much is the bare frame from FoMoCo? How much is a a straight rolling frame from a salvage yard? If you're going to paint/coat the frame, the first thing you're going to do is to improve the welding, add weld where things are only riveted on and then grind and fill all the welds. You also have the option to do the frame mods listed above. It should be powdercoated, but some silver powdercoat turns grey if oil or water gets on it. There's been a raging debate in this same forum about some wheels that were done in a silver and black hammertone which might be the best.

Another approach: A few weeks ago, a thread was posted about a black 2003 with very low miles at www.samsriverside.com for $13k. It was an "easy front fix", but how easy is arguable. If the frame is straight, you get to keep the best engine, tranny, 3rd member, interior, etc. You'll be out of pocket for the actual body repairs, but you'll sure have a lot of parts for sale.

The moral: If you're willing to do the body on/off yourself, you'll love the painted or coated frame. If a shop is doing it, hand 'em the keys and hope for the best. Just remember how little of the suspension is actuall painted from the factory. As long as the "protective coating of rust" lasts through the warranty, why paint it, eh?

Old 07-23-2004 | 03:55 AM
|
Nice list folks, keep it up.

I already have a panhard.

I'm having a shop do it. I just don't have the time (and I get a free rent a car vs handling it myself).

The good news is I trust this shop. They are a high-end only place (Mercedes and Porsche mainly). They've worked on my MB when it was rear-ended and I trust their work.

They are completely willing to get aftermarket for any price and charge the insurance company as well as work with me if I want to do additional things.

I'll see about them letting me work on the frame and getting the heim joints and battery relo.

What good would an accusump be? I haven't really seen an issue with oil pressure loss (or is that just me?)

Coldie

Quick Reply: Nearly Totalled my truck...