Lightning

Finally get to race!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally get to race!!!

Well..... haven't had the truck but a few months and the fellas at work are giving me a buncha crizap about how fast their cars are.

I say "that's a nice car, but I think I may have something for ya".

They all know about the L and want to meet me at Sunshine Speedway (1/8th mile) for test and tune next Wed night. I will go and MAKE THEM ALL PAY!!!! LOL...just kidding, but I think they will be in for a shock.

Anybody in the Tampa Bay are that wants to go and give me some tips ???? I think I should do well, the truck is basically stock except for boost by pass and a K&N Panel filter.

The new tires should help too.
Hoping for mid 8's to low 9's...sound about right?

Old 07-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Those times sound about right. You have to remember about how these trucks don't fare well in Florida heat and humidity. I've never raced at Sunshine before, I don't know how well they prep their track there. You need to experiment with the launch a few times. Leave on the last yellow light, and slowly roll into the throttle.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Sunshine SpeedWay is a dump, It belongs in pasco county with the rest of the half *** constructions.IMHO its worth it to drive to bradenton for their 1/4 mile track.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Why do people do the boost bypass mod if they are not running higher then stock boost

At the very least just unplug the darn thing.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by rkoenig
Those times sound about right. You have to remember about how these trucks don't fare well in Florida heat and humidity. I've never raced at Sunshine before, I don't know how well they prep their track there. You need to experiment with the launch a few times. Leave on the last yellow light, and slowly roll into the throttle.
Thanks for the info.... I agree about the heat!!!! I will leave the truck off for as long as possible to let the engine cool.
Should I bring any ice for the intake or is it not going to have any real advantage?

And I know Sunshine is not the ideal place to race, but it's close to the house and I am new at the game. I do plan on going to Bradenton to run the 1/4 mile track there.

I have a guy at work that is going and will record the festivities and ....if everything works out, I will post the runs.

thanks
dogg

Old 07-23-2004, 09:34 PM
what are you racing?

Old 07-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SICKBOY
what are you racing?
One guy has a turbo eclipse that I know I will beat....he ran a 9.5 last week....and the other guy has a 69 Camaro with a little work done.... it looks nice, but I don't think it's faster than the L....it will be a good race I'm sure.

My other buddy has a 2001 Cobra that has Cold air intake, 4:10 gears, and a short-throw shifter... he beat me by about a car and a half on my bald F1's...... I have new tires, so I will see how things turn out.

dogg

Old 07-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Ice definitely helps. Even just long cool-downs make a difference. I ran my truck at Moroso in West Palm Beach in the heat bone stock. The best 60ft times for me were from doing the following:
1. Leave truck off as long as possible. Start ups to pull forward should be for as short as possible.
2. Drive around the waterbox. No need to wear out your F-1's, and sling water off them up into your wheel wells to drip down later.
3. Now, mat the gas to the floor, letting off as quickly as possible, repeating this several times as you get closer to the line. Each stab gets progressively more "hook." You will feel it digging in, and your confidence will increase as you pull up to the line.
4. Let it idle in drive, but don't power-brake at all. On the last yellow, mat the gas and go. I got 2.0 60ft times, which got me a 13.67 @ 100 MPH with my 2004 bone stock including the stock paper panel filter.1

Good luck. 1/8 mile is actually better for you because most "cars" don't launch as good as our truck on hard radials and make it up after the 1/8 mile.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Blown347Hatch

1. Leave truck off as long as possible. Start ups to pull forward should be for as short as possible.
2. Drive around the waterbox. No need to wear out your F-1's, and sling water off them up into your wheel wells to drip down later.
3. Now, mat the gas to the floor, letting off as quickly as possible, repeating this several times as you get closer to the line. Each stab gets progressively more "hook." You will feel it digging in, and your confidence will increase as you pull up to the line.
4. Let it idle in drive, but don't power-brake at all. On the last yellow, mat the gas and go.

Hatch....
You don't power-brake at all??

I wasn't going to go through the waterbox either......new tires.....like to keep them that way!!! not sure it makes a difference with street tires ???

I will bring a bag of ice and set it on the intake..... it may help...ya never know.

I do know it's gonna be fun.

and thanks for the heads up too.

Last edited by shelpdoggSVT; 07-23-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:13 PM
I have read on here a few times, but have no personal experience, that if you use ice bags to cool the intake to make sure to put a towel between it and the intake. Reason was to keep water from getting in and possibly shorting out the coil packs.

As I said I have no experience with that and have read it so if that is wrong someone please correct me…

Quick Reply: Finally get to race!!!