Lightning

Ideas on 18 inch rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas on 18 inch rims?

I'm thinking about replacing my rims with some aftermarket ones. I want to stay with 18s for my Nitto DRs but I want to enhance the look of my truck a little.

I've done a couple of searches and only a couple of wheels suit my fancy. I like dealerjim's Boyd Blasters, and the Weld ones easterisland has.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I found that most 18 inch aftermarket wheels, especially chrome ones, look smaller on the truck than our factory wheels.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:02 PM
i'm a big fan of moda's... I almost bought a set for my previous Jeep... The R7s or F5's.... someone on this board (name not pooping in head right now) has F5s in the 20" variety.. looks real good IMO... might be tim skelton?

Old 07-23-2004, 07:25 PM
I went with Centerline. They have some great deals on their site.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:51 PM
MB's

Old 07-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by birdy111
i'm a big fan of moda's... I almost bought a set for my previous Jeep... The R7s or F5's.... someone on this board (name not pooping in head right now) has F5s in the 20" variety.. looks real good IMO... might be tim skelton?
That would be me. And I am delighted that my name is not pooping in your head.

But they are no longer available from Tire Rack. If anyone wants to see if they can get some, they are made by SMC, a company in Germany.

My next choice (HREs and Fikses are too much $$$) would probably be these Fondmetals:

but I do not know if they can be gotten in 18's.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I almost bought a set of these:

Intro Twisted Vista

They're not too cheap though at a list price of $2400 for (4) 18's.

Intro's got some really nice designs. http://www.introwheels.com/wheels.shtml

Old 07-24-2004, 09:10 PM
LightningGuy,

Email me at cmassey1@midsouth.rr.com

I have an idea for you to check out.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
LTNBOLT,
You have mail.

Tim,
I like the look of your wheels a lot. I'm not into "bling bling" so chrome would be out of the picture. Even polished is a little too conspicuous for me (not to mention extremely hard to keep clean) so I'm after a silver or powdercoated finish. Those Fondametals look neat and remind me of the MOMO Sport rims. However, I am wondering how suitable they would be on a truck.

HREs and Fikses are definitely not in the picture. They are simply too expensive. I would like to go with an 18x10 in the rear but I'm afraid that would limit my options even more. I will not go less than 9.5 though.

Chainsaw13,
Those wheels look sharp! It would definitely look unique on a Lightning. It seems these days everyone I see is after the Boyd Coddington Smoothie IIs! Something a little different would be a refreshing change.

Also, I would like your opinions on how "black chrome" or a gun-metal finish would look on a True Blue truck. Had I purchased a black Lightning, I would've gone with a dark-colored wheel for that stealth look. However, True Blue is another story...

Old 07-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
. . . Those Fondametals look neat and remind me of the MOMO Sport rims. However, I am wondering how suitable they would be on a truck. . .
Here's a nice "wheel" shot for ya:

Would look better on a darker color, I think.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:10 AM
Looked better than I thought, but I still don't know if it goes on a truck. In my opinion, I would want something with stronger lines and a deeper lip...

Old 07-25-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by LightningGuy
Looked better than I thought, but I still don't know if it goes on a truck. . . .
That's the problem with anti-bling. There are great sports car wheels, but almost all of the truck wheels are ghetto.

If I only had $6K for wheels . . .

picture them with gunmetal spiders.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Tim,
No flame intended, but what made you go to 20s? I assume they don't weigh much more than the stock rims, but you do lose quite a bit of options in tires.

I agree that most truck rims and tires are geared towards bling bling chrome (read heavy) and not performance. But I suppose if I had an Escalade or Navigator, I would probably opt for 22s or 24s with all-season rubber and not 18s with race compound.

Those HREs do look very clean. I noticed ShockTherapy is considering a set of Fikses FM10s! Not much in the way of tire options there either.

Quick Reply: Ideas on 18 inch rims?