Lightning

Finally got to the track last night!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got to the track last night!

Thanks again to everyone here who gave me good advice for racing at the track...I made two passes last night. Both against Mike (Sharpshooter), the sissy in the Z28 didn't show. Needless to say, I got my a$$ handed to me both times. First run, I went down the first half of the track sideways due to getting a little too excited coming off the line. Second pass, I got an 8.71 at 82mph (eighth mile track), with a 2.07 60 ft. Not too bad for my second run ever in the truck. Stock 2004, 3# pulley, Predator, stock air box and filter, full weight except for pulling the spare. I definitely need to work on my R/T though...over a second is bad, right?!?

Old 07-24-2004, 08:51 AM
CONGRATS illegalspeeds

82 MPH in the 1/8 would be @ a 13.3 - 13.4 in the 1/4 mile,
NOT BAD AT ALL
Can I ask why you did the Pulley and Predator Mod, but didn't touch the stock air box or filter ??? Dude that mod makes a HUGE differance. Put a hi flow filter and or cool air induction on it, get you 60ft down, and you got a 12 sec run to go claim

BTW
Im real bad with reation time too, I usually wait to I see the green light before I even begin to react,
OR SOMETHING
got to work on that myself

Old 07-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on getting to the track.

And yes, we measure Rob's reaction time with a sundial

Old 07-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Rob,
I have a K&N drop-in and a modified stock air box out of my last Lightning, just waiting to go in. I was planning to pull the bottom of the air box and the filter out completely and run that way, but it slipped my mind as we were getting in line to stage. Everything happens so fast out there!

Old 07-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by illegalspeeds
Everything happens so fast out there!
don't feel bad. I'm not great with my reaction times by any means, but I always encourage people who are new to the dragstrip, to go down to the fence, close to the burnout box and watch the lights, and see how things work. it helps if you can take a friend who is somewhat of an experienced racer down there to give tips on what to do and point out how not to embarrass yourself on the starting line while everyone is watching.

maybe it's just me, but I still get nervous when I pull up to the tree and I've been racing (non-competitively) for years.

example: this year, I was so nervous on my first day out at the track on the new motor, I forgot to close my hood, the track guy had to do it for me at the burnout box, and also I forgot to put my helmet on. I think I ran a 11.80 without my helmet!

once you get most of the butterflies out, you'll be able to concentrate on shaving down your reaction times and ets!

good luck.

later,
chris

Old 07-24-2004, 10:32 AM
I went out for the first time too last night, also an 1/8th mile but here in Texas. My truck and I are no longer virgins of the drag, I made 8 passes (what can I say this chit is addicting.) My best twos runs were 9.19's with just an open air filter, otherwise bone stock, still had the speaker box in, hard top on, and the spare on, my best reaction was a .602 and best 60 ft was 2.15... sound about right? It was so much fun, rumor has it an srt-10 showed up after I left and the best time he ran was a 9.3ish 4ish....hehehe bring on the mods.

Old 07-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by superfords
don't feel bad. I'm not great with my reaction times by any means, but I always encourage people who are new to the dragstrip, to go down to the fence, close to the burnout box and watch the lights, and see how things work. it helps if you can take a friend who is somewhat of an experienced racer down there to give tips on what to do and point out how not to embarrass yourself on the starting line while everyone is watching.

maybe it's just me, but I still get nervous when I pull up to the tree and I've been racing (non-competitively) for years.

example: this year, I was so nervous on my first day out at the track on the new motor, I forgot to close my hood, the track guy had to do it for me at the burnout box, and also I forgot to put my helmet on. I think I ran a 11.80 without my helmet!

once you get most of the butterflies out, you'll be able to concentrate on shaving down your reaction times and ets!

good luck.

later,
chris
Don't worry I have that run on video. It was against me the first time I ever raced at a track. The only embarrasing part about that race was the blue streak in my Video.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 2bscrewed
Don't worry I have that run on video. It was against me the first time I ever raced at a track. The only embarrasing part about that race was the blue streak in my Video.

oh yeah, I remember that now...

sorry to traumatize you on your first outing...

oh, BTW, I got your snailmail yesterday... thanks shane.

later,
chris

Old 07-24-2004, 02:36 PM
No problem. Glad you got it quick.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Matt don't be so moddest, on the 2nd run if you were a little quicker on the lights I would of just barley beat you. I think if we would of raced a few more times you would of ended up beating me.

Quick Reply: Finally got to the track last night!