Please Talk or Post @ your AF and Dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Talk or Post @ your AF and Dyno #'s

I did a search, and found this
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=stock+dyno
BTW, what ever happen with that turbo kit, seems like it was a
tested "buy and install kit", anyone using it ???
As you'll see, there are some Dyno results there, and some are non Lightning, I'm amazed at how lean some are or were ???

I know I have a very erratic looking A/F Graph myself,
and I assume Nitorus plays a part in it so I would love to see some of your N20 Dyno sheets to see if thats the case
and of course non n20 Dyno's to see and compare.
And I would really love to see a few 100% stock L Dyno runs.

My question is this, now a day's it seems the big boys tune to a dead flat A/F across the board, most I found are dead flat from like 3k to 6k. Is that the best performance tune ??? I always heard and thought we run MUCH LEANER at the low RPM's and then richen out as we get into the higher RPM range, (kind of like mine does) I see that on some of the Dyno Sheets I found, but it seems on any new tune it's the same flat A/F across the board.

Which brings me to my next question, when we dyno the tuner runs through the gears, gets into 3rd gear, OD OFF, torque convertor locked up, and once over 3k (usually @ 3200) WAM they floor it. The next few seconds is what we all look at on Dyno sheets. [b]What would a A/F look like if the L was floored from a dead stop or at low RPM (like it is in the real world, and when we race) and what would it look like if we went 0 to 120 WOT, (like we do in the real world, or when racing), would these A/F graphs look the same ???

I want to make some passes before changing my tunes so we can get real world comparisons to my old Zex System's ET's, but when I do make some changes I don't know if flat lining my A/F will be what I'm looking for, I kind of thought we want to be lean up to a certain point ??? Some I see are as if you drew a perfect straight line from start to finish, is that really good for performance. Please let the records show I'm asking here,
not stating my opinion.

Whats sometimes is even more confusing is each Dyno graph we look at has diff size boxes (or scale) so it sometimes makes it look totally diff from somebody's else WHEN IT REALLY ISN'T
Example 3 diff view of the same Dyno run of mine:
489.39 / 600.65

A Diff view of the 489.39 / 600.65

And this here is the same run, 489.39 / 600.65 and I think the view we are all use to seeing, maybe I'll ask Sal if there's a way to get a read out that looks like that.
This was me taking a pic of the screen while Sal was having all the fun

Old 07-24-2004, 10:41 AM
501.37 / 615.36

Old 07-24-2004, 10:45 AM
And the run no one has seen yet

This was when I tried leaning it out a bit by changing the Fuel Jet on the Nitrous System

478.91 / 604.72

490.75 / 619.68

We didn't like the way the A/F started to spike back upwards at the end of the run, so I went back to the orig Jets as shown in the orig Dyno

Ok lets see your's Boys + Gals

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 07-24-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Stock truck RED, after Long Tubes+Exhaust BLUE:

Long Tubes+Exhaust+Ported Intake+ThrottleBody+CAI RED, after SCT+4lb+new CAI BLUE ... Yes, its STD, but it was only +/- 6 off of SAE in its settings. (I checked)

Old 07-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Re: Please Talk or Post @ your AF and Dyno #'s

Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
[B]Which brings me to my next question, when we dyno the tuner runs through the gears, gets into 3rd gear, OD OFF, torque convertor locked up, and once over 3k (usually @ 3200) WAM they floor it. The next few seconds is what we all look at on Dyno sheets. What would a A/F look like if the L was floored from a dead stop or at low RPM (like it is in the real world, and when we race) and what would it look like if we went 0 to 120 WOT, (like we do in the real world, or when racing),

[/img]
Glad you asked that question. I have at least 10 complete 1/8th mile runs datalogged with the Wideband commander. In the 1/8th mile I am barely getting into 3rd so the A/F in 1st and 2nd is what should be important. If I can figure out how to change excel graphs into jpegs I'll upload a ton of graphs.

I just loaded a RWTD tune last night and ran it for the 1st time. In 1st gear it was dead on at 11.5:1 until 5000RPM where instead of getting rich it went lean all the way up to 13:1. 2nd gear was pretty good 10.8-11.2 all the way through the gear. Then what data I have for 3rd it was around 10.5:1.

Now the end of 1st gear is what I'm worried about. Every tune that I have gotten leans out in the upper RPM ecpecially in 1st gear. I'm guessing there is something wrong with my truck. I don't think it has anything to do with the tune.

Where should I start looking if my truck is leaning out in the upper RPM?

I don't think its my fuel filter because it has been doing even after I changed my filter. I don't think I'm maxing my MAF out cause I datalogged it too and it never got above 4.90 volts. My fuel injectors and pump should easily handle my mods according to Sal. Where else can I look?

On another note 1 trend I notice with my truck it runs richer the higher the gear. So in other words if I'm running 11.5:1 in 3rd I might be running 12.5-13:1 in 1st.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Here is an excel graph of an eight mile run I made last night. It was my best E.T. since winter. This is my 1st time running a tune from James @ RWTD.

Please note the different scales on both graphs. The tighter scale on the 2nd makes it look jaged

Notice the end of 1st gear it spikes the wrong way. I don't think this has anything to do with the tune because it was doing it with Sal's tune also. Something is wrong with my truck.

Last edited by Sharpshooter; 07-24-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Here are my dyno runs on a 50 shot.

Old 07-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Awesome, this is exactly what I wanted to see
WOO HOO
Thanks Pawn, Sharpshooter, and Probie, niiiiiiiiiice #'s ALL

KEEP THEM COMING

WOW on how lean it does get in the Hi RPM of 1st and 2nd gear, "YIKES",
""GREAT INFO Sharp Shooter"" do you think thats normal ?
We never get to see this stuff on a Dyno ? I'm sitting here wondering if I am too lean at any point, but seeing yours
makes me say, WOW your leaner

I see with Nitrous I am actually pretty much normal with it starting lean and consistantly working it's way rich.
Nice A/F Probie, great tune and POWER ............

And Pawn has a PERFECT EXAMPLE of what I was talking about,
orig AF started Lean and worked it's way Rich, but now it's
Flat Across The Board, I guess this is a shape of tunes to come,
very diff than what you would have scene a few years back,
interesting.............. and BTW, awesome diff in Power with the Mods Bro

TO ALL

More, we want more,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 07-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
And Pawn has a PERFECT EXAMPLE of what I was talking about,
orig AF started Lean and worked it's way Rich, but now it's
Flat Across The Board, I guess this is a shape of tunes to come,
very diff than what you would have scene a few years back,
interesting.............. and BTW, awesome diff in Power with the Mods Bro
Thanks Ronbo. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the smooth, consistent across-the-curve gains my mods have given me.

My understanding on the A/F is that is the difference of where the fuel table trims are getting adjusted. The older chips, which only allowed modifications in one area that would still get modified by the engines adaptive fuel functions (hence, lean then rich as the compuer adapts to the engine load)....where as the new breed of chip & tuners allow the fuel tables to be modified outside of the adaptive fuel control's reach and lets the tuner hold the fuel levels to create the A/F they want consistently.

I love the advancement of technology. (and a big thanks to Jim@JDM for walking me through these different areas of the ECU and talking to me about it!, he spent atleast 45m with me at his laptop as we went through all the tables in the SCT and what they did)

Daniel

Last edited by thepawn; 07-24-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey, Sharpshoter:

The "excel" graph of your air fuel ratio is exactly what I've been wanting to do. Can you tell me exactly what equipment I need to do the same thing? Since it was done during a run, I assume it is done on board. Since we don't race dynos, I'd like to know what's happening in the other gears and with fuel inertia that occurs on launch.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Kerno,

You need some sort of wideband A/F gauge that datalogs A/F and RPM.(I use the wideband commander)

Then hook it to a laptop and datalog. Export that data to a file. Then use excel to make some graphs of the information.

If you need help in making the graphs let me know.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Sharpshooter, I did a google seach and found the Wideband unit @$479.00.

Thanks for the guidance - it will be installed soon.

Old 07-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Also a lean first gear generally does not burn parts because you're not in that gear very long, and you are also not loading (laboring) the motor like in third gear heading towards the finish line. Ever notice 90% of melt-downs, burned up motor, etc happens after the 1/8 mile, which is generally everybody's high gear? This was pointed out, and explained to me by Ronnie Crawford, professional engine builder for Pro 5.0 cars, and so forth.

Sharpshooter. From your post, since your 2nd gear is good, and 3rd gear is a little rich, I doubt you'll ever burn up your motor from your momentary 1st gear 13 to 1 A/F.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by thepawn
My understanding on the A/F is that is the difference of where the fuel table trims are getting adjusted. The older chips, which only allowed modifications in one area that would still get modified by the engines adaptive fuel functions (hence, lean then rich as the compuer adapts to the engine load)....where as the new breed of chip & tuners allow the fuel tables to be modified outside of the adaptive fuel control's reach and lets the tuner hold the fuel levels to create the A/F they want consistently.

Daniel

Now that would sure explain why we NOW see a flat line across the board, compared to what we use to see. Thanks Daniel I guess you just answered my question.

I guess that also means I either live with it, or start the tuning process all over again, and get a Diablo Black chip ???
Something to consider ......

Old 07-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMAO

Weren't you the one that was saying dyno's were a joke and the track was where it was at?

Well........you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Iam glad you have seen the "light" and understand that the dyno is a very good tool if used correctly. Now you understand why I pay the money to spend time on one, instead of guessing/hoping that my a/f is good after changing tunes or bolting on new things.

I am also glad that you have seen the improvements that a new 4 bank chip can provide. Now you understand why I purchased one or two......hehe

What brand you buy, is your choice and what tune you run is your choice.

But I can recommend the SCT and this tune.........LOL

Quick Reply: Please Talk or Post @ your AF and Dyno #'s