Lightning

Damaged wheel on my 04

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004 | 11:44 AM
|
Unhappy Damaged wheel on my 04

I scratch up my right rear wheel on my new L with just 250 miles on it. I decided to see what she could do and it got away from me in a big way. Tires were spinning deep into second and went I into a tank slapper and went off the road. The truck dug into the shoulder and the right rear tire lost its bead and the truck went up on 2 wheels and almost flipped over. I was looking right into the grass out of my window. I limped her home, about 1/2 mile, had severe scrathes on wheel, rear side rear molding and corner of bumper. Got off lucky considering it almost rolled. I already had the bumper and molding sprayed, but waiting on a tire (only could find 1 in NC for 230.00) as it's side wall separated.

Anyway, I really like the 02 rims and I am thinking about getting a set to replace these wheels if I cannot wet sand the scratches out of the 04 rim. I have read that the 03-04 wheels are lighter. Is this true, and if so is there enough of a difference to matter?

I traded an 02 dsg hd in on the L, before that I had a 99 L that I traded on the Harley. I always missed the L from the day I traded it, the hd felt like a pig. I guess I just forgot how to drive one.

Old 07-24-2004 | 11:48 AM
03-04 Rims are like a pound or two lighter and dont know how much of a difference that makes. Sorry to hear about what happen, hope everything works out...

Old 07-24-2004 | 11:49 AM
You were given a break...don't forget it...Their is a reason its called a L....

Do you have any pictures of it you can post ?? Can you use the spare ??

Old 07-24-2004 | 12:13 PM
|
I had the F1 remounted and she is sitting in the garage other than taking it to the body shop. With the separated sidewall you never know when it might go. I have another car to drive, a 96 Impala SS, so at least I can wait on the tire without having to drive around on the spare.

Sorry dont have any pictures. Damage was light, only cost me 223.00 to fix the paint, he did a real good job.

Thanks for the wheel info.

Old 07-24-2004 | 06:50 PM
I'd love to see how one does a 'tank slapper' in a truck...

Old 07-24-2004 | 07:21 PM

I guess that's worse than my f'ked up clear coat.

Old 07-24-2004 | 07:52 PM
I guess you could say you have Bonded with your new truck

You didn't mention what you used to clean the brown spot off the seat, or was it just on the vinal

I like the 04 wheels better personaly and yes they are lighter by about 4llbs and when it comes to unsprung weight YES it makes a difference on the track.

Try a set of bogarts and you will see.....

My winter tires are 20lbs per wheel lighter and I can really feel the difference in a straight line. Cornering sucks cause there skinny.

I got respect for my first L about 2 blocks from the car wash when I was trying to squeeze into traffic. Almost lost it.

Old 07-24-2004 | 08:20 PM
Do you not carry your spare ??

Old 07-24-2004 | 09:01 PM
There are several sets of the 01-02 wheels on e-bay. I was watching a set of chromed OEM (not replica) 02's that closed last night for about $1100. The stock wheels seem to go about 4- 5 hundred bucks a set. I'd like to have a set of the 03-04's chromed, so if you do find and buy a set of the 01/02's, I may be a buyer for your damaged set as long as the damage can be polished out and not look funky under the chrome. I accept e-mail through this forum in the member profile area.

Old 07-24-2004 | 09:30 PM
|
I had the dealer drop the spare and the hitch before I took delivery of the truck. I guess I had to go about a 1/3 of a mile to the house, still enough to ruin a brand new tire.

As for the "tank slapper" reference it is the only why I know to discribe the unrecoverable side to side undulations of the truck at speed that tend to put you in the ditch. I never had any problems with the 99', I could drive it sideways all day long. I guess my number was up or I am out of practice. Never the less a real eye opener, you can get into trouble with these things quick even at low speeds. I will be more carefull in the future. By the way this was out in bfe with no traffic, I try not to endanger the public.

Kerno, the scratches on the wheel are visable but most do not catch a nail. I tried wet sanding a small area with very good results. I just don't know If I can get them perfect. They where pushed side ways through field dirt, no deep scratches just lots of shallow ones, def nothing that would impair crome. I will let you know what I decide to do, Thanks for the interest.

Old 07-25-2004 | 08:56 AM
Diversified (advertise in all the ford mags) has really good pricing on motorsport wheels. I picked up an additional 03/04 set from them for $175 each w/caps

Quick Reply: Damaged wheel on my 04