Lightning

Going back to the dealer already

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004 | 09:08 PM
|
Angry Going back to the dealer already

Yep... Front end clunk and the paint is cracking/bubbling in 2 spots near one of the side steps. I guess it's the clear coat?? Hmmm, anything else to add to the list? Needless to say, I am not happy with this truck right now, but I guess I'll just sit back and let the warranty work its magic and keep my mods on hold for a while.
I'm glad I still have the gen 1.

Old 07-25-2004 | 09:54 PM
Minor details, Leann. Hang in there, and once everything gets worked out, everything will be all good.
Oh, and I'm glad that you kept the Gen 1, too.

Old 07-25-2004 | 09:59 PM
I have two like chips inside the clearcoat. Also, some damage around the fog light. What I decided to do is live with it. I think for the long run that was better than fixing (screwing up) the clearcoat. Also, at 26k I just developed the clunk, too

Old 07-25-2004 | 09:59 PM
If you’re taking it in for the front end “clunk” you should buy the “clunk” washers and have them installed. From all the reading I have done there is NO permanent repair for the “clunk” other then the clunk washers.

You can buy them for $30 from a gentleman named David. Email him at dplynn1@bellsouth.net I got that information from Tim’s website (excellent website)

I am going to be buying a set because I can see there has been some movement due to evidence of the undercoating on the frame. I have not heard it clunk yet, but going to buy them and have them installed nonetheless. The clunk washers you get from David are stainless steel so they will not corrode.

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:02 PM
On another note when I bought my Lightning it had a big run in the paint on the tailgate. From the top all the way to the bottom. Since I wanted sonic blue and it was the only one they had I bought it knowing that and had them give me a “fixit” order. My dealer has a professional body shop and they did the repairs, sanded and repainted it. Looks awesome, no problems and you would never know it had been repainted…

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:06 PM
|
If it were just a chip in the paint, I would let it go and ignore it.... But it's bad enough to make me wanna get it fixed. It almost looks like something is eating away my paint. I guess the paint goblin is hanging out in my driveway in the middle of the night or something.
As for the clunk, that's the least of my worries... It doesn't even bother me, but since the truck is under warranty, I'm just gonna take it back with my list of 'problems'

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:09 PM
I have a couple imperfections in my 2004 Sonic Blue L, too, including a run in the paint in the passenger door jamb. I wonder if they are having issues spraying this color at the factory or something...

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:16 PM
Are these imperfections appearing after a while or was it something you just didn't notice upon delivery of the truck?

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:16 PM
Sounds like they have some problems with paint but a much bigger problem with QUALITY CONTROL, or just a plain lack off it. The paint run I had was HUGE a blind person would have found it because it would have felt like brail (sp?)

However, so far with mine there has been no other issues except some evidence of the “clunk” movement. Everything on the body lines up, the molding etc. Mine was built on Wednesday which is the BEST day of the week…

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:21 PM
minor details, everytime i hit that gas pedal i dont care about anything else in the world, i love my truck. Anyways, goodluck gettin that stuff sorted out, im sorta high-jacking here, ive got the cluck, is it just an annoying noise or am i gonna be driving one day and my steering will stop working? thanks.

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:25 PM
So far with my 04 L , ive taken it to ford fro 2 imperfections in the paint and a chip that the body shop did. It was previously in the body shop because the cab wasnt aligned . It drove me absolutely insane but its stuff that you have to deal with if you are a very particular person. Oh well its all fixed now and let the modding begin . BTW, Leann, were you at the cjmf show this weekend. I think i recognized you from that picture posted a while back. maybe you saw me i was driving the 04 white L and i had a shaved head.

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:25 PM
|
Originally posted by LightningGuy
Are these imperfections appearing after a while or was it something you just didn't notice upon delivery of the truck?
Mine didn't appear until over a week later. The paint is something I would definately notice if it were there the day I got it.

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:30 PM
|
Originally posted by jerzey storm
So far with my 04 L , ive taken it to ford fro 2 imperfections in the paint and a chip that the body shop did. It was previously in the body shop because the cab wasnt aligned . It drove me absolutely insane but its stuff that you have to deal with if you are a very particular person. Oh well its all fixed now and let the modding begin . BTW, Leann, were you at the cjmf show this weekend. I think i recognized you from that picture posted a while back. maybe you saw me i was driving the 04 white L and i had a shaved head.
I'll be much happier when it's all fixed. Maybe I need to buy a mod or something to make myself happier.
Yeah, I was there. I only saw one white 04 there, so I'm assuming that was you.

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:30 PM
Dman25:

The problem with the “clunk” is not so much the noise it may make but the alignment problems it could cause, or worse how often you may have to buy $200 + tires when the fronts wear out…

Just something to think about…

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:32 PM
I knew i recognized you , what was guy doing at the end when he was ripping up and down the parkin lot?

Quick Reply: Going back to the dealer already