Lightning

Goodyear F1's National Backorder..WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004 | 05:31 PM
|
Goodyear F1's National Backorder..WTF?

I curbed my wheel this weekend and blew out my right rear tire. I had the wife call around all over the eastern seaboard to try and find some new F1's today and there are none to be found. As far as i know Discount Tire and Tire rack used to have these in stock, seems all they have in stock now are the nitto's. Anyone have a clue whats going on out there? Gonna be some mad ****'s when they have to wait a week or better for their tires to come in.

ok rant off...

Old 07-26-2004 | 08:11 PM
Just before getting my 04 I had ordered a pair of F1's for my 99 at Discount tire.
That would be around the 20th of June. They had the best price around here $214 out the door mounted and balanced.

They were out of stock at that time and told me that they would have to come direct from Goodyear.

I put $100 deposit and when they finally came in I had already gotten my new 04.

I decided to go ahead and get them since I would need them anyway. Now I am glad I did!

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with CHINA. They have caused material shortages all over with different things in there preperation for the Olympics I guess.

Nitto's aren't bad but I had Perelli Zero's 285/50/18 on my 99 and didn't like them. Very noisey and heavier to.
Hope you find some F1's soon

Old 07-26-2004 | 08:17 PM
My local Discount Tire said the same thing. I am stuck with a tire that leaks down to 12lbs every day.

Old 07-26-2004 | 09:22 PM
Just get Nittos. They're better anyway.

Old 07-26-2004 | 09:54 PM
When you only need a pair...?

Old 07-26-2004 | 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Deus
When you only need a pair...?
Yep. I meant Nitto NT555s, not the DRs.

Old 07-26-2004 | 10:11 PM
Originally posted by EZGZ

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with CHINA. They have caused material shortages all over with different things in there preperation for the Olympics I guess.
What does a Goodyear F1 shortage for our Lightnings have to do with China?

Stop being ignorant.

Old 07-26-2004 | 10:12 PM
LOL

Laughing out loud at post above blaming CHINA for a shortage of F1's for the dude's L. Not saying theres a chance that has anything to do with it, but just think its funny as hell.

Damn Red's.................

Old 07-27-2004 | 12:35 AM
Three weeks ago I blew out a tire, so I decided to buy two to match, since they were almost worn out. Called 3 different stores, all sold out. One store had in stock, but asked the ridiculous price of $500. But discount tire told me to check back in 2 weeks cuz they would be cheaper then. 2 weeks I called, they had them for $200 each. I had 2 mounted, and bought two extra just to keep at home for when I need them in a few months, thats a bada$s price.

Old 07-27-2004 | 01:58 AM
Tirerack is out of them . . .

Shows them as being available on July 30

at $211 per tire.

Old 07-27-2004 | 02:37 AM
Dear LightningGuy:

Again, you've given me the honor of quoting you.
Your own words, in this thread, were: "Stop being ignorant."

Here are a few statistics from which you can draw your own conclusions.

In the year 2000, the last year for which full statisitics are available, China's demand for synthetic rubber outstripped their domestic production by 645,000 TONS. Not pounds, tons. China is a net importer of synthetic rubber, having imported 43.5 percent the rubber they used in production. The domestic production of synthetic rubber in China (also for 2000) was eight hundred thirty six thousand tons. That, in anyone's book, is a lot of material. Petrochemical imports in China have risen an average of 32% every year since 1990. Since the statistics above are for 2000, we may assume that their imports have increased by 128% since Y2K.

There is a finite amount of rubber produced each year. As you know, tires from China are very inexpensive compared to domestically produced tires. The very low wages in China allow Chinese tire makers to bid higher for their raw material and still beat us in the marketplace.

The F-150 online forum is in place for the benefit of the members in terms of interchanging ideas and knowledge. It is not intended to be a place to vent anger at others. Constuctive or instructive posts benefit all of us. Insulting or flipant posts, posts advocating the theft of intellectual property do not belong on this board.

Oh,if you wish to verify the economic data above, simply do a google search using the keywords "china" and "tire" and "shortage". Proof is but a few keystrokes away.

Last edited by kerno; 07-27-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2004 | 03:25 AM
Kerno -

You're a little off on your math, and in the process do yourself a disservice in that your weaken your point . . .

You wrote...
"Petrochemical imports in China have risen an average of 32% every year since 1990. Since the statistics above are for 2000, we may assume that their imports have increased by 128% since Y2K."

You are not taking in account that the increases are 32% over each year (which increased 32% the year before). For example we'll use the number 100 as our base.
In the year 2000 you have 100
In the year 2001, after an increase of 32% you have 132.
In the year 2002 you increase 132 by 32% and your have 174.24
Inn 2003 you increase 174.24 by 32% and you have 229.996
and in 2004 you increase 229.996 by 32% and you've got 303.594.

So, imports have not increased by 128% since the year 2000, they have actually increased 203.6% since then.

China also imports more minerals than any place in the world and those numbers are estimated to continue to rise in ever greater proportions . . . especially crude oil.

Anyway, the numbers are even bigger than you mentioned. Just thought you'd like to know.

k

Old 07-27-2004 | 04:54 AM
Your point is well taken. I does make the numbers even bigger. In doing another google search for "china" and "tire", one report indicates that China produced 6 Billion dollars in tires in 2002

That's a big number, which will only get bigger if current trends continue.

Or, how about this news release:
Beyond its newest facility in China, Goodyear Asia manufactures tires in India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand ...
www.goodyear.com/media/pr/22733ti.html

Old 07-27-2004 | 05:09 AM
Re: Goodyear F1's National Backorder..WTF?

Originally posted by ZorPrime
I curbed my wheel this weekend and blew out my right rear tire. I had the wife call around all over the eastern seaboard to try and find some new F1's today and there are none to be found. As far as i know Discount Tire and Tire rack used to have these in stock, seems all they have in stock now are the nitto's. Anyone have a clue whats going on out there? Gonna be some mad ****'s when they have to wait a week or better for their tires to come in.

ok rant off...

Dude I thought I was the only one. I ordered 2 from American Tires (read Discount Tires) and they told me a few days. I go back in a few days they say they havent come in yet. I go in a week later they say 2 months!! So naturally I am pissed. I went to every shop. The best I could find was 1. WTF am I going to do with 1 F1? So I have been driving around on a spare for a while and its really making me mad. I sent goodyear an email and let them know how I feel about their inability to make their own product.

Anyway I am just going to go with nitto 555r's what size do you guys roll with on those and how much do they usually cost?

31C

Last edited by 31Charlie; 07-27-2004 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2004 | 06:43 AM
WOW for a guy that still has the orig F-1's, and now has 7 total
plugs in them, THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS

(well at least 6 of the plugs are in the back two)

I'll go with Nitto's when the time comes, I assume everyone use's the R's on the rear and the reg 555's on the front's ?
Rather have a set of Bogarts and Hoosiers on all 4 corners
but I don't have a Vinnie Tree in my yard

Quick Reply: Goodyear F1's National Backorder..WTF?